Perth rides lately

Re: Perth rides lately

Postby Redbull » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:38 pm

Pravda wrote:surely there's some kind of etiquette regarding sharing the work?
Ended up sprinting off and leaving them behind just after the brewery.

No you did the right thing - ride them off your wheel :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Beautiful the last couple of days for a ride - love living in Godszone :D :D :D :D :D :D
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
Redbull

by BNA » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:09 pm

BNA

Postby HLC » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:09 pm

Pravda wrote:Felt like I was leading Cav's sprint leadout this morning coming along Mounts Bay Rd into the wind this morning. Ended up with 3 bikes sucking my wind by the time I was going past Swan Brewery, surely there's some kind of etiquette regarding sharing the work?

No rules in Silly Commuter Racing.

Either a) ride them off your wheel
b) slow down. A lot.
c) don't signal for anything/ride recklessly and they'll back off
d) ride a brakeless track bike and inappropriately whipskid everywhere.

I like option d personally.
HLC

Postby cavebear2 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Yesterday's ride stats:

Audax Dawn 'til Dusk Autumn 252km

Max 38 degrees (approx, possibly slightly cooler than Perth)
Min 17.4 (enroute to the start point at Kalamunda from Maylands)

Distance 304.0 km
Ascent 4,074m (confirmed by Ride with GPS and Garmin)
Moving average 25.9 kmh
Fluid consumed 17 litres
Overall time 13h45
Moving time 11h44
Brevet total time 11h50 (qualified for the Dawn to Dusk time, finished 38min before sunset. :) )

Used arm and leg protectors to minimise sunscreen application.

What a memorable ride! The new bike helped me through it. :)
Thanks again John for organising/finishing the ride with me.

Had Surf and Turf for dinner. :)
cavebear2

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Left before dawn to see the artworks at Cottesloe Beach, beat the heat (about 20C at 6am, 30C at 9). On the way out had a crow fly directly at me from a long way off, aiming for the headlight and had swerve away from. Strangely enough had some idiot wearing a 'Cape to Cape' jersey ride at me on the wrong side of the road on Marine Pde, I yelled out something about breaking the law, only got an idiot grin. Moron. Rode down to Coogee after hunting artworks, lots of people at South Beach, even a ranger outside the entrance to the dog beach pinging people who walked their dogs on the grass. On a Sunday. On the last leg of my ride home I was followed by a crow that kept flying to the next tree ahead of me, possibly the head on crow of early and now a stalker. Thankfully no more 'Cape to Cape'.

Had a siesta, woke to get lunch and the crow is outside. I've made a friend.
just4tehhalibut

Postby Pravda » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:02 am

Got pushed (not literally) off the midland line PSP in Bayswater by group of three guys riding three abreast on the path. Managed not to fall off but a cassette and chain full of sand was a fun way to spend Sunday arvo cleaning.
2011 Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX
Raceline Keith Oliver Signature Edition
Pravda

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:15 pm

Stolen from Sarahactivated's YouTube channel :)

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby damonik » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:12 am

I love Perth drivers. He had actually overtaken me just earlier so clearly knew I was there - I wasn't in any real danger as I reacted fairly fast but the 3 guys lined up behind me weren't overly happy. Love the lack of indicating.. and the general disregard for anyone else on the road. :roll:

Prior to the little incident, you might be able to hear me muttering about the pack in front of me that was busy riding 4-5 abreast through East Freo - morons.
Specialized S-Works Roubaix (With electronic Ultegra, oooo the boogey man)
damonik

Postby damonik » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:25 pm

damonik wrote:I love Perth drivers. He had actually overtaken me just earlier so clearly knew I was there - I wasn't in any real danger as I reacted fairly fast but the 3 guys lined up behind me weren't overly happy. Love the lack of indicating.. and the general disregard for anyone else on the road. :roll:

Prior to the little incident, you might be able to hear me muttering about the pack in front of me that was busy riding 4-5 abreast through East Freo - morons.

Following up on this - Just filed a traffic complaint, don't expect anything to happen with it, but I feel a bit better. Now to head home to clean my knicks from that ride.
Specialized S-Works Roubaix (With electronic Ultegra, oooo the boogey man)
damonik

Postby Redbull » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:16 pm

What a great weekend for riding

I love living in Perth!!
Redbull

Perth rides lately

Postby RobertFrith » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:53 pm

Redbull wrote:What a great weekend for riding
I love living in Perth!!

agreed!

Saturday I rode to Safety Bay to pick up a sturmey hub I won on fleabay. Beautiful day for it. Since it was flat and windless I took my single speed and covered 110km in one ratio. Met my mate Tim at south Freo on the way thru, he showed me through the complex web of on-again-off-again bike paths between Freo and Woodmans Point.

Today we took the tandem to Freo, checked out the foto Freo awesomeness at the Fremantle Arts Centre, dropped in on a friend, had a swim at the pool and bought second hand Harry potter books down on high st. On the way through we walked the plank under the Fremantle Traffic Bridge to watch the tide hurtling in, on the way home we watched it hurtling out.
RobertFrith

Postby Red Rider » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:07 pm

RobertFrith wrote:
I love living in Perth!!

agreed!

Saturday I rode to Safety Bay to pick up a sturmey hub I won on fleabay. Beautiful day for it. Since it was flat and windless I took my single speed and covered 110km in one ratio. Met my mate Tim at south Freo on the way thru, he showed me through the complex web of on-again-off-again bike paths between Freo and Woodmans Point.

Today we took the tandem to Freo, checked out the foto Freo awesomeness at the Fremantle Arts Centre, dropped in on a friend, had a swim at the pool and bought second hand Harry potter books down on high st. On the way through we walked the plank under the Fremantle Traffic Bridge to watch the tide hurtling in, on the way home we watched it hurtling out.

Top weekend!

The only riding I got in was a trip to Kings Park. It was great to see all the tourists discovering Kings Park, a true treasure of our city :)
Red Rider

Postby elStado » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:57 pm

I love living in Perth!!

+1

This weekend's weather was perfect for cycling. I managed to put around 100km on the new touring bike over the past couple of days which is pretty good by my usual standards.

Nice weather, minimal winds, long weekend with plenty of free time and a new touring bike is a perfect combination.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
elStado

Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:57 pm

Two days on a row warm sunny and on holidays does it get better :)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk
Marty Moose

Postby johnny99 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:02 am

Just got home from a great ride even if it was a bit brisk. Left Morley and went out along Camboon rd to the new path along Reid Hwy.Followed this path to Mirrabooka and then had to go on the bike lane from Mirrabooka to Wanneroo Rd. Followed the bike path to Marmion Ave and then back on the road to West Coast Hwy. Rode along here to Beach Rd then up Beach to Marmion,back to Reid and back to Morley.
It was nice and still and the new bike path is great.
johnny99

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:53 am

I have a thing I gotta be at in Morley today. Normally I take a train to Bayswater and then ride the rest of the way and afterwards I ride back to Perth. So why not ride BOTH ways?

Well, with what looks like a beautiful crisp morning there is no reason. Certainly I can get there just as quickly if I ride the whole way.

Yep - looks like another great day in paradise. Maybe I'll see you out there too.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby rcmkII » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:52 pm

Spent the week near Busselton and had a few nice rides along the shore. I see they're putting in the Busselton to Dunsborough bike path along Caves Rd - that'll be nice when it's done.

The only sour note was when I was riding through the middle of Busso in the week, keeping my distance from the parked cars, when some peanut drove past close enough to collect my right forearm with their passenger mirror. It was that close I knocked the thing flat against the car, but fortunately I kept my balance. Could have been nasty if they'd knocked me into the parked cars and then run over me, and it was the first time I've really wished I had a camera. (My daughter was riding behind and saw the whole thing. Both too stunned to get the license plate.)

But apart from that, it was a nice week of riding, sunshine and hot chocolate.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.
rcmkII

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:13 pm

rcmkII wrote:... it was the first time I've really wished I had a camera...

You could always do it on the cheap, either keep a helmet-mounted light on (the cigar-shaped ones look like helmet cameras) or copy the Main Roads image of the red light camera, stick that prominently on the rear of your bike to suggest that you're warning motorists that you actually have a camera mounted somewhere on the bike. http://standards.mainroads.wa.gov.au/Internet/Standards/RTems/traffic_mgmt/signs_index/cat_one_e.asp#H001

My ride was a little different, I stopped along the way to the E-shed to remove some debris from the road and stayed on the road since there was no one about; sure enough some motorist came up on the otherwise empty road and yelled "there's a bikepath, use it!", to which my response was "you have a mouth, shut it!". She then made the mistake of parking in front of the ramp up to the eating area at the E-sheds, when I walked past she was actually using her mouth in shut mode so I guess people can learn that poison doesn't pay.
just4tehhalibut

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:35 pm

And to the reject in the blue range rover, I don't believe indicators were an optional extra in the model you have. Also, if someone reminds you of them, it would be polite to say "thanks, sorry I forgot", not yell a string of expletives.

Ah arrogance. Willll it ever die?
moosterbounce

Postby Redbull » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Gold today.

Rode upto Kalamunda for a coffee :D this arvo - absolutely blimmin magic day.
Redbull

Postby Tornado » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:26 pm

rcmkII wrote:I see they're putting in the Busselton to Dunsborough bike path along Caves Rd - that'll be nice when it's done.

Does anyone know when it will be done? Is any of it partially done. I can see a weekend away coming up here. Some time away for her, some time in the saddle for me. :)

2012 Avanti Giro 3
2003 GT Palomar
Tornado

Postby rolandp » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:48 pm

We were in Dunsborough last weekend. Most of the path was built a couple years ago, mostly around both town sites. The section being built now completes the last 5 odd kms to join the two towns. There is only about 1km left to build. You can still hop on the road if they are still working on it. It does turn off the main road and head along the beach which is nice, just look out for foot traffic. It also extends further north out of bussleton if you want to continue your ride further.
rolandp

Postby rcmkII » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:15 am

Tornado wrote:
rcmkII wrote:I see they're putting in the Busselton to Dunsborough bike path along Caves Rd - that'll be nice when it's done.

Does anyone know when it will be done? Is any of it partially done. I can see a weekend away coming up here. Some time away for her, some time in the saddle for me. :)

There are workers, trucks, hot mix machines etc scattered along the entire 5km length. From what I could see it's 40-50% compacted sand/gravel and the rest is nice smooth tarmac. They're laying tarmac daily. I doubt you could ride on any of it without someone whacking you with a 'go slow' sign - or getting your bike wedged under a steamroller.

I reckon it'll become a pretty big tourist attraction. It's not designed for high-speed commuting, not with all the bends they've put in, but it's under the trees most of the way and maybe it'll get a few more people on bikes. The gas station halfway along should do a killing in ice creams, drinks and puncture repair kits ...
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.
rcmkII

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:26 pm

Pravda wrote:Felt like I was leading Cav's sprint leadout this morning coming along Mounts Bay Rd into the wind this morning. Ended up with 3 bikes sucking my wind by the time I was going past Swan Brewery, surely there's some kind of etiquette regarding sharing the work?

I can't remember the last time someone drafted behind me. :mrgreen: Ergo, you are all imagining it. Damned conspiracy theorists, every one of you. :wink:
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby MarkG » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:44 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:

I've had this plenty of times over the years - sometimes for close to 5ks from Thomas Rd, up to Rowley Rd (where I turn off to go home)

Sometimes slowing down forces them to go around, but other than that, common courtesy you always hope, prevails.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
MarkG

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Man, what crappy weather we've had to put up with this weekend!! The middle of winter really is terrible in Perth :wink: :D :wink:
moosterbounce

PreviousNext

Return to Western Australia