Perth Retro Bike Build

pat86brown

Perth Retro Bike Build

Postby pat86brown » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi all,

I've been a member of this forum for some time now but this is the first time I am calling upon the combined knoledge of this great forum. The delema I am experienceing is that i'm rebirthing an old chromoly race frame i have at home. The bike has been previously chrome'd and looks spectacular, well all except the flaking chrome all over the place.

Does anyone know of any good and relaible chrome platers that are experience in bicycles? and if so do you have any idea of the price I am looking at?

Thanks
Pat

p.s. once I get this thing moving I will start a thread of its return to form.

dah1505

Re: Perth Retro Bike Build

Postby dah1505 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:04 pm

I've just had some forks done by Premier Plating, they look pretty good though I wished I/they had tried harder with the sanding and polishing before hand as there are some marks which are visible if you look closely. Look fine at arms length though.

Cost $80 for the forks. I think they do a fair bit of bike stuff.

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:20 am

I send bike bits to Ultra Chrome in Osborne Park, no complaints so far.
Cheers,
George.

pat86brown

Postby pat86brown » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:39 pm

Briliant.

hanks guys. i'll contact them both to get quotes and let you all know what the outcome is.

pat86brown

Postby pat86brown » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:40 pm

I took the bike to the Bently mob. They wanted $250 minumum for the frame, plus the wouldnt guarentee that iw ould come up shiny (the actually told me it would be rather rough). I thought this was rather rich so i will try the other guys gclark mentioned, hopefully they will be more confident in getting the old steel steed to shine.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:49 pm

pat86brown wrote:I took the bike to the Bently mob. They wanted $250 minumum for the frame, plus the wouldnt guarentee that iw ould come up shiny (the actually told me it would be rather rough). I thought this was rather rich so i will try the other guys gclark mentioned, hopefully they will be more confident in getting the old steel steed to shine.
Chrome is even more about preparation than painting - it doesn't "fill" the way paint will. And because it's so shiny you see every ripple.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:18 pm

took my forks into UltraChrome what seems like an eternity ago. The original "it'll be ready in 3 weeks" turned into 4 and a half weeks and has just turned into 5 weeks. Better be a perfect job when they are eventually done but I'm not holding my breath.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 am

Thread revival (always a happy occasion :) )
I have some parts that need rechroming; a stem, chainwheels and cranks. And I need to de-chrome a front fork. I guess you've got your forks back from Ultrachrome by now? How was the result?

rob(wa)

Postby rob(wa) » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:49 pm

id personally get parts sand blasted before you take them to a chromer.. ive done this before when ive restored old motocross bikes..the parts have always came back like brand new

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks rob(wa). Any recommendations for Perth blasters & platers?