daylight savings

pickle_sarnie

daylight savings

Postby pickle_sarnie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:48 am

hi guys,

been checking out the forums here for a while but never posted so here being my first one.

what i want to know is what are your feelings on daylight savings.

im a kiwi, and iv been in WA for almost 1 1/2 yrs now and loving it. although when i first came over i didn't understand why there was no daylight savings here, as i thought it was a standard world wide thing.

so here is what i have to say about it and im not taking a dig at anyone just putting it out there for comment:

daylight savings is the best thing that has happened to WA since removing smoking in bars

personally i think that west australian people do not like change. i think this is a cultural thing (culture as in sociaty culture, not ethnic), and i am generalizing here. there is always something in the paper, and now i see that there is going to be something on 'today tonight' with 3 scientists saying how bad it is for you, how the children will suffer and how there is likely to be more accidents on the road because of this!! i mean honestly, that is quite possibly the dumbest thing i have ever heard!

in all of the people i have talked to they just say that they dont like it, and when i say 'well what is it that you don't like about it?' 99% of the time what i am told is 'its just stupid'. so 'hold on a second' here i usually say, you havn't actually answered my question...??? most of them it doesn't even effect, they work behind a computer, and don't do any exercise. i think its just the initial whinge fact of missing 1 hour of sleep to start with. even one of my cycling buddies said he thought it was stupid, and this is one of the people who out of all the guys i ride and race with i respect alot. so i said its not as warm in the mornings for races/tt's and group riding/long training rides and there is an extra hour of sunlight in the evening for training, what more could you want??

and that is just a couple of benifits for cyclists. i think daylight saving really benifits familys the most. every time i ride home the parks are always packed with families enjoying the extra evening light.

anyway iv raved on enough, im not even going to start going on about the temperature, or the farmers or any of that as its just a cop out and i grew up on a farm and know what it is like.

let me know what everyone else here thinks and how it does or doesn't affect you.

cheers

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:56 am

G'day Pickle,

Welcome aboard.

I'm with you, but since we've gone through this last week, I'm not going to add further to it. Just enjoy the DST for this year and next before the backward people here vote it out again in the referrendum.

Oh, and stay away from TT and aCA - they'll just poison your mind. Why do you think the people here have those attitudes against DST?

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

pickle_sarnie

Postby pickle_sarnie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:02 am

Hi Graeme

Sorry mate, i didn't realise there was already a post on this, i did a search for it before i posted but obviously wasn't looking hard enough.
Kalgrm wrote: Oh, and stay away from TT and aCA - they'll just poison your mind. Why do you think the people here have those attitudes against DST?
what are TT aCA???

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:19 am

TT and aCA are Today Tonight and a Current Affair. Both pander to the insecurities people have, making the problems worse. Vile little programs, the both of them.

I can't remember which thread got into the thorny issue of DST myself now. Anyway, don't worry about it - these things happen.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:51 pm

I must have missed the other thread as well, but just to put in my 2c - I love it!!

I recently spent three years living in Ireland where, with daylight saving, it is light to about 11pm in the middle of summer. Here in Perth, I love having the extra hour at night to do "stuff". There is a lot of compaining about the loss of daylight in the morning, but for me, leaving home around 6-6.15 mornings that I commute, I find it makes the ride that little bit cooler.

Stephen

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: daylight savings

Postby heavymetal » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:01 pm

pickle_sarnie wrote:what i want to know is what are your feelings on daylight savings.
I don't practice it in and I live in Perth :D There is still the same amount of daylight each day. Just get up an hour earlier. I really don't care either way, I don't like it so I don't practice it. What I don't like about it is that instead of it being 40 degrees at 9 PM, it's 40 degrees at 10 PM. (Remember Jan 26th). Also Perth is naturally 45 minutes ahead of it's time zone anyway.

What I do object to, is the fact that we have wasted millions of taxpayers money on three referendums where the majority voted NO. So we still get a three year trial of DST.

It would be like at the next election if Howard gets in. Lets put Rudd in instead on a three year trial and then have a referendum to see if we like him.

Also what happens if at the next referendum DST gets voted in. Do we wait another 10 years, and go for a trial without it and then another referendum.

I usually go for a ride early in the morning, and with DST there is now more idiots around.

If you want more time with the family, go to work an hour earlier and come home earlier. (one of the benefits of an IT contractor).

So whether we get DST or not, my clock remains on normal time, but in the meantime democracy goes out the window. It's not the only referendum ignored. WA had a referendum once to secede from the rest of the country. The results of that got ignored as well. :lol:

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:06 pm

heavymetal wrote:
If you want more time with the family, go to work an hour earlier and come home earlier. (one of the benefits of an IT contractor).

Kev.
Nice to have that sort of option....

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:23 pm

Great, but how do I convince the school to let my kids start and hour earlier and finish an hour earlier than the other kids .... oh wait - that would be what DST does .....
---------------------

DrJ

Postby DrJ » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:47 pm

heavymetal wrote:
Also Perth is naturally 45 minutes ahead of it's time zone anyway.
exactly. This, along with the fact that we have shorter summer days than Melb/ Tas/ most of NZ and definitely England by virtue of being closer to the equator, means that the big negative of DST, the dark mornings, is much worse in Perth. The other problem here is the sea breeze that is more like a gale on most summer days, which makes most outdoor activities (especially the beach) much less enjoyable in the afternoon than in the morning.
It p*sses me off that arguments like these are never put forward in the media; the only arguments listed for the no case are the stupid ones like the curtains etc.
heavymetal wrote: What I do object to, is the fact that we have wasted millions of taxpayers money on three referendums where the majority voted NO. So we still get a three year trial of DST.
apparently some ALP figures didn't even want to give us a referendum! That's democracy for you :roll:
heavymetal wrote: Also what happens if at the next referendum DST gets voted in. Do we wait another 10 years, and go for a trial without it and then another referendum.
Pigs will fly. Once its in it's in forever.
heavymetal wrote: If you want more time with the family, go to work an hour earlier and come home earlier. (one of the benefits of an IT contractor).
Very happy for you that you can do that!
heavymetal wrote: WA had a referendum once to secede from the rest of the country. The results of that got ignored as well. :lol:
How much better off would we have been as the Republic of Western Australia! AFL would even be an international sport, and we would be able to get duty free on trips over east!

pickle_sarnie

Postby pickle_sarnie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:58 pm

[quote="DrJ"
apparently some ALP figures didn't even want to give us a referendum! That's democracy for you :roll: [quote="DrJ"

democracy is over rated. politions spend to much time slinging off at each other than doing anything that is important. decisions should be made and people told what is happening rather than giving people a choice on something that does not affect them or even relate to them....for example scrb beach development. (getting slightly off topic)...generalizing of course!

and who goes to the beach at 5am in the morning? i don't think families?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:00 pm

DrJ wrote:
heavymetal wrote:
Also Perth is naturally 45 minutes ahead of it's time zone anyway.
exactly. This, along with the fact that we have shorter summer days than Melb/ Tas/ most of NZ and definitely England by virtue of being closer to the equator, means that the big negative of DST, the dark mornings, is much worse in Perth.
This is false: Perth is about 10 minutes ahead of its natural time zone (and Kalgoorlie is about 30 minutes ahead). Use a sun rise/set calculator* and set the dates for the equinox dates (21 Sept and 21 March) to see where we sit. Natural time zone is 6.00am rise and 6.00pm set at the equinox.

Cheers,
Graeme

(*This is the sun position calculatorI use in photography)
---------------------

DrJ

Postby DrJ » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:11 pm

Really? I thought WST was based on the 120th meridian, which is well to the east of Perth.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 pm

Perth sits on 115.5 deg, which is less than 20 minutes from the theoretical centre of the time zone (each is 15 deg of longitude).

I lived in Kalgoorlie for some time, and we had the sun setting at 5.00pm in winter. Bloody awful when you couldn't play with the kids after getting home from work (you would leave work at sunset ....). In the pre-DST days, sunrise in Summer was 4.50am and sunset is 7.00pm. It's fine for Perth people to claim DST is pointless, but the state is much bigger than Perth.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:25 pm

I'm for it.

My plus points...
1. I have "stuff' to do in the mornings so can't get out on the bike anyway at that time. Now I ride after work. To be honest, I ride the

2. I'm not watching TV in the evenings (except for House :oops: ) as I am pottering about the garden and doing outdoor stuff.

3. I'm doing more exercise - not just riding, but walking too.

My negative points...
1. I'm finding I'm going to bed later so I need to watch this...but that is my problem!!

My general thoughts...
1. Last year I took note of the temperature between 10pm and 11pm as many people were complaining that it was too hot now when going to bed. At most, there was 1.5 degrees between the two times. Does this really equate to sleeping poorly or well? I don't think so!! If it is 40 degrees at 10pm...it would only have been 39 degrees anyway...what is the difference between really hot and really hot?

2. Too bright for young kids to sleep? Most young kids nap during the day anyway do what's the difference?

3. Some scientist said that DST disrupts the body clock. Sorry matey...when we came out of the trees, we got up with the sun and went to sleep with the sun. I would have thought the invention of the electric light would have caused more disruption. For those who go camping, this is pretty close to what you do anyway. Time revolves around daylight hours when you are camping, not the sun.

4. I work in a big change management area. Bottom line is that most people don't like change. Period. In fact, I often wonder how some people cope when they need to buy new cars/computers/abacuses/jeans/etc!!

5. Why do another referendum? Well, I don't know about others here, but I don't believe I was old enough to vote back then so it is great to be able to. Also, many of the people who did vote back then are now dead. Of course we should continually review what "people" want and need as this changes all the time. I don't like the cost (who would?), but acknowledge that it is fair for all concerned to review our stance. After all, everyone changes their mind don't they?

6. It will stop after next year.

Just my 2c worth :D