Segway PT and shared paths

Sinner

Re: Segway PT and shared paths

Postby Sinner » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:57 pm

John Lewis wrote:Didn't the designer od the Segway put himself over a cliff on one and wipe himself out?

John
No, it was the guy who bought the patent/company.

Cliff? It was the baks of the River Wharfe in Yorkshire.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Sinner wrote:
John Lewis wrote:Didn't the designer od the Segway put himself over a cliff on one and wipe himself out?

John
No, it was the guy who bought the patent/company.

Cliff? It was the baks of the River Wharfe in Yorkshire.
Thanks for the info. I could recall it being mentioned to me some time ago but the details were to say the least hazy.
Might have to go ask Uncle Google.

John

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:32 pm

CommuRider wrote:
Oxford wrote:Segways are illegal in Aus. on open roads/pathways etc as they do not satisify the ADR requirement to have a braking mechanism.
As @sogood pointed out, plenty of Segways around SOP here

http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/Vis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... gway_tours
The price is just too prohibitive for it to be a viable means of transportation. Hours of standing up, might as well just get a scooter.
The Segway does not have a monopoly on lemons. Yikebike (min-ifarthing), Ryno and also sort of fancy designer-shapes that may or may not take off in the market.

The Segway, while overall not the ubiquitous success that that the developers had hoped for, deserves credit for sowing the seeds in others to design things with a similar function. Some of which look very practical.

Since the Segway there have been a small number of Self Balancing Unicycles (SBUs) that do the job and are far closer to being useful about it. And affordable, a couple of thousand from memory and probably coming down all the time. Portable enough that you can pop them in the boot or carry them inside. The Segway to me is a sort of small vehicle that can't be moved anywhere except under power. And taking up a little too much footprint IMO.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

GH

Postby GH » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:20 pm

I am in QLD, hence posting about Segway approval here, takes effect Thursday this week it seems.

My comment referred to velos in Brissy.

Sorry for the confusion.

gh

Aushiker wrote:
GH wrote:I have seen a few Velomobiles around town here, but only on the odd occasion.
Really? I would be be very interested in the details. I am only aware of two Sinner Mangos for example in this state (one is Albany and one south of Fremantle) and one unknown brand velomobile. Given there are a few people around here with a keen interest in velomobiles and a WAHPV group I would have thought there would be more awareness of these other velomobiles you refer.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:32 am

GH wrote:I am in QLD, hence posting about Segway approval here, takes effect Thursday this week it seems.

My comment referred to velos in Brissy.

Sorry for the confusion.

gh
Ah okay ... WA forum so thought discussion was about WA :)

Yes there are few evil Sinner Mangos in Brisbane :)

Andrew