Perth Waterfront

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:57 pm

No tsure if it is related to the works at Betty's Jetty but...

I noticed this morning a large and spreading plume of white in the river off the river wall at Langley Park.

I had a closer look and saw a steady upwelling of water - a couple of feet in diameter - with something that could have been disolved clay or limestone or some other creamy while particulate. From what is probably a pipe under the water about a meter from the river wall in line with Hill Street.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone know what outlet is at that spot?

(Phoned thru to Swan River Trust)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:43 pm

My guess is runoff from the flooding at Langley Park earthworks that has the disturbed limestone and sand consistency of the work at Barrack Street.
Storm drains on either side of Riverside drive at that spot are flooded and massive waves of that slush spraying up as cars go by on the left lanes in each direction.
I imagine they have a storm drain outlet to the river and that's where the cloudy pollution is concentrated.
In this frame on the left near sign post is the amber beacon of a tractor/utility at the earth works I believe.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:36 am

Currently Barrack St 'shared path' which is our access point into the Perth CBD from Riverside:

At least they have their priorities correct, the fencing is for Octoberfest and it may be interesting viewing watching drunk people navigating the fence holdings.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:51 pm

I still hate those fencing supports sticking out into the paths.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:45 pm

For the event in the Gardens last weekend, they'd put the fence on the other side of the trees so that nobody was inconvenienced on Barrack Street. So someone listened!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:51 pm

Ahh so that's what all those poratloos were for around there!
I presume for the other event they didn't have the portaloos but they did have trees = black privacy screen around "eco sustainable perma-loos"

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Giood to hear, Sinner.

I'm hearing rumours that William St will reopen this weekend. I hope that's true as that's my preferred way of getting to/from the Narrows. Just hope there's a way of getting from road to path.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:25 pm

wellington_street wrote:Giood to hear, Sinner.

I'm hearing rumours that William St will reopen this weekend. I hope that's true as that's my preferred way of getting to/from the Narrows. Just hope there's a way of getting from road to path.
Don't know where you heard that from. Add another week at least.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:08 am

wellington_street wrote:Giood to hear, Sinner.

So, at some time, Riverside will be closed, and we will be directed around the area onto William St/The Esplanade/Barrack St.

I was hopeful this would be the inner route, so we don't have to cross any traffic intersections - make sense?

So, last week, installed on Barrack St:

Small sign on it indicates:
Cathodic Protection Power Unit - Wikipedia link to Cathodic Protection

Let's stick it in the middle of currently a footpath, and hopefully in the near future a shared path. Good one.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:03 pm

Well its open now, as is William Street. Nice shoulder inbound from Pt Lewis but no safe way to get there (both lanes head towards the freeway).

Didn't look like there was any easy way to get from William Street southbound onto the foreshore RSP either. Bugger. Nice little squeeze point just south of The Esplanade so if you're going to ride it, claim the lane.

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:35 pm

Had a go this morning - went south down William St and tried to get to the PSP. Had to jump the kerb and cover some grass. Looks like there might be a spot for pedestrians to get to the PSP, but not an actual PSP link. Where the traffic light pole is on the south side is a graded pdestrian landing zone, but there's a large grassy area between it and the PSP.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:56 pm

If you can handle the short section around the right-angle bend in mixed traffic, there's a good shoulder all the way to the Narrows Bridge and a kerb ramp to either get on Mounts Bay path or turn right, across the road, to go up to the Narrows.

Inbound there's no safe way of getting to William Street, though, without jumping kerbs and grass.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:24 pm

OK so Riverside Drive (and presumably the riverside shared path) will close on the 28th.

MRA has a video showing the new routes:
http://www.mra.wa.gov.au/Projects/Eliza ... lery=21083" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a bit confused by the new cycle route, especially at 1:02 where the cyclist appears to be riding the wrong way down the wrong side of Barrack Street?!

I am assuming that we will be on-road along William Street as the path on the eastern side is certainly not close to shared path standard.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:55 pm

wellington_street wrote:OK so Riverside Drive (and presumably the riverside shared path) will close on the 28th.
I can again contacted MRA around Oct-2013 asking what cycle ways would be provided and when. I got a response this week.
As you may be aware, the MRA is working with Main Roads WA and the City of Perth to communicate the permanent diversion of Riverside Drive, which comes in to effect from Tuesday 28 January.

I know you have emailed previously enquiring about cyclist access along the foreshore. I can confirm that there will be no immediate change for cyclists from the current arrangement along the foreshore until late February. While motorists will be diverted via Barrack Street, The Esplanade and William Street from 28 January, cyclists will be able to use the current path for a few more weeks.

Long–term, the existing RSP is to be retained within Elizabeth Quay via a link through Barrack Street Jetty, over the island and bridge allowing for both pedestrian and cyclist trips into and through the CBD. During construction of the inlet, some temporary diversions of the RSP will be in place and plans are currently being finalised for the construction of new cycle lanes on Barrack Street. It is expected the new cycle lanes will be complete within the next 6-8 months and we will ensure our website is kept up to date with maps and information regarding any diversions that are in place.
I then responded asking what would be provided in the interim, in particular as William St 'shared path' now has several new lights located in the middle:

They would like to meet and discuss - just haven't had the time to think about when I can arrange a meeting.

Wednesday this week, MainRoads published:
Cyclists can remain on their current route through the Elizabeth Quay Development until late February (see below).
I do love the Barrack St intersection and how we have to cross this - I can see lots of peds/cyclists ducking off into Barrack St Jetty area.

We also have City of Perth indicating this week:
Permanent cycle lanes are to be introduced in the section of Barrack St, between St Georges Tce and Riverside Dr mid 2014......

I also noticed that a 'cycle lane' is currently being installed through the EQ project - 99% sure it wasn't there yesterday:

So, based on this information, we will have cycle lanes by mid-2014 around the project, we will still be able to ride our 'normal' way until late February, and MRA hopefully will announce soon what that 'cycle lane' is in the second photo.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:06 am

Thanks rolandp, that's great stuff. Unsurprised to see that MRA's video is garbage :roll:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:37 am

Thanks Roland - lots of useful info there. And much appreciated.

I just googled Saint Roland. Apparently you are 863yo, going on 814. You don't look a day over 100.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Roland

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:06 pm

Roland's second photo shows Thiess's work on the shared path being built on the eastern side of the Moreton Bay Figs on William Street and will mean that Roland won't have to go via the slalom course between the lighting columns. The Thiess shared path will link to the permanent shared path on The Esplanade which itself will connect to the new cycle lanes on Barrack Street and to the new shared path on the southern side of Mounts Bay Road, both of which will come on stream later this year.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:28 pm

Sinner, will the Barrack Street cycle lanes be one on each side or a 'Copenhagen' arrangement? If its the former, it seems rather annoying to add in two traffic light crossings for eastbound cyclists?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:33 pm

MRA have released the latest design for the bridge over the inlet:

Click for high-res version

Not a single cyclist anywhere; will we be banned from using the bridge?

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:02 pm

Marketing a glossy image need not concern itself with the real needs, it just has to sell.

e.g. the details "intended for engineers, planners and cycling enthusiasts" can be thrashed out later.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Mor ... ndards.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you watch advertising for cars, you'll kind of understand why people drive like they own the road and don't expect anyone else to be on it, and everyone to get out of their way.

Funny I just found this while trying to pick a classic example of cars driving across major bridge arteries with no traffic in the light of day
http://bikeportland.org/2013/04/22/ride ... path-85780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dampier

Postby dampier » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:15 pm

Heard on the ABC that minister said that it will be dual use, cyclist and pedestrians. There will be a speed limit for safety.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:00 pm

dampier wrote:Heard on the ABC that minister said that it will be dual use, cyclist and pedestrians. There will be a speed limit for safety.
We wone that one some time back after initial announcements that it was just for peds.

I wonder if they will design it with some sort of "traffic calming" intentions. And while that would be sure to annoy some cyclists, it would make sense.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:51 pm

wellington_street wrote:Sinner, will the Barrack Street cycle lanes be one on each side or a 'Copenhagen' arrangement? If its the former, it seems rather annoying to add in two traffic light crossings for eastbound cyclists?

I've seen the City of Perth consultation leaflet for a short term temporary Copenhagen lane until Barrack Street goes two way. The Barrack Street two way scheme has the former.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:01 am

'Cyclists current route' implemented, and we now have to stop at Barrack St, cross over Barrack St, wait for the lights, cross over Riverside Drive. As per:

Interesting, there isn't a light signal changer on the west side of Barrack St. Wonder if this will be a full-time job for 'high-ves man'?

Thanks Mr Taxi driver for allowing us room to cross over Barrack St - not:

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:08 am

Silly me, I saw the path continued but sheepishly followed others as per the video animation that was shared around last week, I.e. the big upside down U detour around the work area, not across the area on the dashed cycle line in your graphic above.