Perth Waterfront

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby BrownBike » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:51 pm

wellington_street wrote:
BrownBike wrote:The 'dual use path' along William St isn't much chop. Not marked as such and of course, peppered with streetlight poles.
That's not the shared path - the shared path is on the eastern side of the trees.
Oh, right. The route isn't very obvious when coming down William from the CBD.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:03 pm

BrownBike wrote:
wellington_street wrote:
BrownBike wrote:The 'dual use path' along William St isn't much chop. Not marked as such and of course, peppered with streetlight poles.
That's not the shared path - the shared path is on the eastern side of the trees.
Oh, right. The route isn't very obvious when coming down William from the CBD.
If I guessing right then the section Wellington is referring to is not yet open, though at a glance it can't be too long now.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Re-opened this afternoon after hoardings removed.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Mainroads updated their website on Friday, showing that the original path is now closed from Monday 24-Feb-2014.

The 'hording' mentioned earlier, I captured below image during the 'path is open, path is closed phase', as you could not see past it, when the path was open:
Note, the southern end has not been addressed and you can't see around the shade cloth, so don't do what one twit did last Friday, and attempt to overtake on that corner, nearly taking out another cyclists coming the other way.

The lights on Friday had 'dismount signs', and above diagram has also been modified to no longer indicate 'it is OK to ride over':

There was also a large amount of diversions on The Esplanade 'shared path' on Friday lunch time, didn't ride home that evening to confirm if these had been taken down:
The Esplanade 'shared path' is made of concrete slabs, so check for cracks etc, but hopefully this is the work undertaken above, and there will be no cracks large enough to fit tyres etc.

This project has a goal of:
The application of a 40km/h speed limit throughout the main areas will enable a move away from higher volume, higher speed roads to lower speed shared-use city centre roads that are safer for cyclists and pedestrians.
I was hopeful that this could be applied now, unfortunately not, as on 19-Feb-2014, these signs were installed on the corner of William St/The Esplanade:
Interesting, Barrack St from The Esplanade to St Georges Tce is already a 40kph area:
but there is no start/end signs installed on this section of road.
So, why stick up these signs when they haven't been consistently applied in the Perth CBD, and the project has an end goal of 40kmh?

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:05 am

The Barrack St and Esplanade intersection is also very dangerous. Heading east along the Esplanade 'path', at Barrack St the pedestrian/bicycle crossing lights were not operating today, they were dark. There is a green traffic light directly opposite the path that a cyclist or pedestrian may think is applicable for them. However at the same time cars heading north on Barrack St have a left turn green arrow in the Esplanade. There is a 'Cyclist Dismount' sign here but I am worried that people will ignore the sign, see the green light and ride into perpendicular traffic, same for pedestrians.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:39 pm

rolandp wrote: ...
The Esplanade 'shared path' is made of concrete slabs, so check for cracks etc, but hopefully this is the work undertaken above, and there will be no cracks large enough to fit tyres etc.
From what I observed on Thursday the works were trowellign cement around concrete service covers.

I am riding against the flow thru the Bell tower precinct the last few days. Though even that is getting complicated and changing day-to-day.

I'm wondering if some of us might not be better off commuting by canoe for a while. :?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:59 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I'm wondering if some of us might not be better off commuting by canoe for a while. :?

or

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:33 pm

From the MRA along with this blurb ....

Works are underway to create the Elizabeth Quay inlet, including construction of a temporary limestone and granite wall in the Swan River and the permanent diversion of Riverside Drive between Barrack and William streets.

From this afternoon (24 February), cyclists and pedestrians will no longer have access to the existing shared path along the Swan River foreshore. Cyclists and pedestrians will be diverted around the project area and will be required to use:

• The dual use path along the eastern side of Barrack Street.
• The dual use path on the southern side of The Esplanade.
• Temporary paths on William Street [that have been constructed inside the site boundary].

Please note, this route also requires cyclists to cross at signals or ride with the traffic. This diversion will be in place until 2015.

Andrew
Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:18 am

nachoman wrote:The Barrack St and Esplanade intersection is also very dangerous. Heading east along the Esplanade 'path', at Barrack St the pedestrian/bicycle crossing lights were not operating today, they were dark. There is a green traffic light directly opposite the path that a cyclist or pedestrian may think is applicable for them. However at the same time cars heading north on Barrack St have a left turn green arrow in the Esplanade. There is a 'Cyclist Dismount' sign here but I am worried that people will ignore the sign, see the green light and ride into perpendicular traffic, same for pedestrians.
Shot on Monday morning:
It was like a real-life version of Frogger, as I observed several pedestrians dodging cars. Reported to MainRoads with response being:
This is to confirm that a report has been lodged with Main Roads WA contractors on report number RCR# 191098. This report will investigate that all pedestrian signals are working correctly at the intersection in question.
I also asked if cycling lights could also be installed, and MainRoads have referred this question to City of Perth.

As Andrew copied from MRA's communication 'This diversion will be in place until 2015.' so take care, slow done, and don't play Frogger at this location.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:47 am

Rode through there yesterday afternoon.. Won't be doing that again. An absolute joke - The amount of signs and other obstacles on the "shared path," along with pedestrians who seem particularly unable to maintain a straight line, drivers blocking intersections by moving through before it's clear (and subsequently being stuck in the ped/cyclist crossing during the red) etc was just a joke.. Cyclist dismount signs at the crossings, I was the only one who did so when I was there (although I didn't do it to comply with the sign haha - I only did it because I ended up boxed in by pedestrians so figured it safer to just dismount and walk with them).. Cyclists were just as bad with the frogger game as the pedestrians too..

This is an accident waiting to happen.. Poorly thought out and horribly implemented. I will take the extra few KM and cross the causeway then go around South Perth foreshore to the Kwinana PSP from now on thanks..

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:20 pm

I stopped off this morning and had a chat with the site safety manager, he seemed genuinely concerned to make the whole area as safe and as convenient as possible for all users. Maybe those of you who have identified problems could have a chat with the guy, I'm sure he'd be happy to hear any practical suggestions to make it better.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:03 am

Lights are again working at The Barrack St/The Esplanade, so the human version of Frogger should go down.

Heard back from City of Perth today as well, who were attending a meeting with MRA/MainRoads later today.

However, until cycling signs are installed, it is illegal to ride over this set of lights.

Blkmcs, thanks for providing the feedback to the site safety manager.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:40 pm

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:14 pm

rolandp wrote:
Thanks Roland for doing this.

Andrew
Andrew

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:40 pm

My understanding is that the new detour will be in place until sometime next year. IMO it would be smart if a couple of issues were attended to:

First, as cyclists exit the new section (at 0:55 on the video) and onto the south-side path along the esplanade they come out onto unsuspecting peds travelling east from the Esplanade Station. If either some of the mesh fencing were set back further south OR a rail extended a little onto the path then both cyclists and peds would be more aware of eich other at a fairly vulnerable time.

And as most cycists will be heading the full distance to Barrack Street, whereas peds are heading off the path to the other side at every point along their, a brightly marked cyclists path on the southern edge of the path up against the fencing may work. atm cyclists travelling east tend to be passing peds on their left. (There are always a few peds and cyclists walking west.) The paint would need to be selected to minimise slip in th eocming winter months of course.

Perhaps Roland or anyone else who knows the agencies and processes involved could make some sense of what I am saying and pass it on.

I haven't seen any reckless riding in on the new windy path or that Esplanade section over the past week. :D

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:11 pm

rolandp wrote:Lights are again working at The Barrack St/The Esplanade, so the human version of Frogger should go down.

Heard back from City of Perth today as well, who were attending a meeting with MRA/MainRoads later today.

However, until cycling signs are installed, it is illegal to ride over this set of lights.

Blkmcs, thanks for providing the feedback to the site safety manager.
On Thursday the Australian Bicycle Council did a "technical ride" and used that crossing. About 80% of the 25 participants did not dismount. Some signs are best ignored ..... (Aparently a cycle lantern cost $5000???).
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:34 pm

I dismount from my seat when making this crossing, using one foot to push forward. If wheeled recreational device or motorists scooter are able to legally cross at this location, then there is no difference from me pushing my bike with one foot, whilst dismounted from my seat, compared to a scooter.

Difinition of pedestrian (Road Traffic Code 2000):
pedestrian means any person on foot or in a perambulator, or a physically disabled person in an unmotorised wheelchair or in a motorised wheelchair, and includes —
(a) a person pushing a perambulator or wheelchair; and
(b) a person wheeling a bicycle or a wheeled toy, if the person is completely dismounted from the bicycle or wheeled toy; and
(c) a person in or on a wheeled recreational device or a motorised scooter; and
(d) a person under 12 years of age in or on a wheeled toy;

Please see my previous post around Halo on Mount, where I was recently overtaken by a motorised scooter, and yet it is legally allowed to ride over this intersection.

Due to the number of pedestrian and cyclists, it is not possible to travel fast, so slow down, as this diversion is not going away quickly.

ColinOldnCranky, thanks for the suggestions, and if you can, send them off to MRA or Department of Transport. The more input from different individuals, I'm hopefully there will be more priority to resolve this area and implement a better diversion.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:07 pm

The MRA, for the Elizabeth Quay project, have been provided a link to, so hopefully are monitoring and learning from, this thread.

I trust that constructive comments, expressed in this thread, will be seriously considered by them and acted upon where practicable.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:07 pm

rolandp wrote:
ColinOldnCranky, thanks for the suggestions, and if you can, send them off to MRA or Department of Transport. The more input from different individuals, I'm hopefully there will be more priority to resolve this area and implement a better diversion.
Done Roland. I have PMd a copy to you FYI.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:59 pm

Something in the paper today about Barrack St closed this weekend between the Esplanade and Riverside Drive, pedestrians and cyclists to detour through Supreme Court Gardens

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:52 pm

They are moving the Talbot Hobbs statue to its new location in the Supreme Court Gardens and so both the crane and statue need to be on Barrack Street.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:20 am

Site offices near the corner of William St/The Esplanade have been built over the last three weeks, and on Monday, their access was commissioned, resulting in a non-controlled access across the diverted PSP:

I would imagine getting out of this location will be interesting, as traffic is always banked up to this location, resulting in vehicles waiting on the PSP for a free space into the traffic on The Esplanade.

So additional care is required.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:18 pm

Interesting dog-leg added to the south-west section today.

jonhanson

Postby jonhanson » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:33 pm

And what is happening on the other side of the belltower on the PSP ? They have cut the edges of the brown coloured bike path off with a concrete saw and replaced it with grey cement ? Did someone have some money that needed spending before the end of the financial year ? I reckon this is a bit of a strange thing to do. Doesn't serve any purpose. In fact it probably makes the bikepath a bit thinner as you wouldn't really want to ride on the new concrete bit. Aesthetics ? I can't work it out.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:18 am

jonhanson wrote:And what is happening on the other side of the belltower on the PSP ? They have cut the edges of the brown coloured bike path off with a concrete saw and replaced it with grey cement ? Did someone have some money that needed spending before the end of the financial year ? I reckon this is a bit of a strange thing to do. Doesn't serve any purpose. In fact it probably makes the bikepath a bit thinner as you wouldn't really want to ride on the new concrete bit. Aesthetics ? I can't work it out.
It serves a very useful purpose.

It reduces the amount of damage done to the compacted road base under the hot mix from water seeping under it. As an ancillary benefit it may also reduce the rate at which cooch grass encroaches (which it was doing within six months of laying).

In addition to regular reticulation, the earth around that path gets a good soaking from winter storms and it does not always leech away very quickly.The simple concrete edging should add many years of service to the path. Good for us and good for the tax payer.

The question should instead be why didn't they do it when they relaid the path a couple of years back.

I am mildly surprised that it does not go deeper. But I am neither a road engineer nor a hydrographer.

I was initially concerned that they would finish it a little higher than the bitumen. That would have made it somewhat less safe but, fortunately, the contractors seem to have known what they were doing.

If you look at the new works in South Perth it appears that they have gone to considerable effort to include concrete edging. That track should also last the distance.