Has anyone...

BigVin

Has anyone...

Postby BigVin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:00 pm

Managed to get any form of reparation from a local council when it comes to tyre damage caused by broken glass in their respective electorate?

On my travels to work this morning, approx 6.10 am, I hit a piece of glass flying down Wellard Rd towards Rockingham on a nice fast descent, which not only (obviously) punctured my tube, but also put a nice gash in the side wall of my Hutchison Kevlar. Lucky I was riding with Brad (Funkymonk) who lived within the area, so he was able to ride home, get his car and a spare Gatorskin for me, so I'm now mobile again (thanks dude)

I know that punctures are part n parcel of riding, specially thanks for the hicks who have adopted smashing glass as a nation past time, so I'm not whining about that at all..
What irks me most, is that the Towns of Rockingham / Kwinana had a 'street sweeper' out for the past couple of days, but I am not sure wether or not they actually service that road.

What are my chances of scoring a new tyre from the Town Council?
It's more an exercise in PR rather than trying to score a free tyre, as I'm not hard up for cash or tyres.

Any thoughts or experiences?
Forza Basso - Vincere per noi!

Baalzamon

Re: Has anyone...

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:22 pm

I know that if a pothole has been reported they can be. Glass I suspect would be a hard one due to it can be caused at anytime especially at nighttime when street sweepers are typically not operational. I'm going to try this with 2 bushes that are causing a hazard for me. One of them is growing into the bike lane and the other one is covering the bike lane forcing me into traffic on Berrigan Drive. :evil:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:23 pm

Buckley's.

McGoo

Has anyone...

Postby McGoo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:30 pm

I think that if the hazard has been specifically reported, and a reasonable amount of time has passed in which the council has had time to clean it up, and has failed to do so, you may have a chance. Otherwise, you are SOL I think. Councils have a special insurance clause which protects them from this sort of thing I think.

BigVin

Postby BigVin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Ah ... cool - thanks guys, good to know!

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Just out of curiosity are you a pom.
I had to fight council for a new wheel when a council van ran over my daughter’s bike while she was on it. That was like getting blood out of a stone.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Funkymonk

Postby Funkymonk » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:06 pm

Bwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaa ha ha ha Pom .... Mark bwha ha ha

Mark is a Roman :mrgreen: , although the amout of kit he buys and sells If i didnt know better would think he was Indian with a Lucky Seven deli :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BigVin

Postby BigVin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:09 pm

LoL nah, Italian man, why do you ask?

Would a pom get better service or something?

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:25 pm

BigVin wrote:LoL nah, Italian man, why do you ask?

Would a pom get better service or something?
No poms just like to complain.
I like italians though :wink:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

BigVin

Postby BigVin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:44 pm

ummm ..

If you read my post, like properly - I'm not whining or complaining at all, in fact I even wrote that.
I wanted to see what they would do if I was to broach the subject with them.
As I stated, tyres and money aren't an issue, it was more to see what they would say.
In this day and age of people trying to get every dollar out of every organisation and institution, it was more of an excercise to see how they react to these comments and claims etc.

Complaining is when you insist on whinging or complain over every thing that happens out there.

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:49 pm

BigVin wrote:ummm ..

If you read my post, like properly - I'm not whining or complaining at all, in fact I even wrote that.
I wanted to see what they would do if I was to broach the subject with them.
As I stated, tyres and money aren't an issue, it was more to see what they would say.
In this day and age of people trying to get every dollar out of every organisation and institution, it was more of an excercise to see how they react to these comments and claims etc.

Complaining is when you insist on whinging or complain over every thing that happens out there.
Vince you are Italian, it's ok, and I understand 8) But if you were a pom it would be a whole different story.

From that prospective I get your point. Unfortunately they will not give a mod says: no naughty words.
I have a great idea, why don’t you get a camera mounted to your bike and follow the street cleaner and then you will have proof that they didn’t clean that street. :P

Funkymonk

Postby Funkymonk » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:29 pm

Vince Bwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha even after I used your name Mark
Bwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Vince :lol:

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:38 pm

Funkymonk wrote:Vince Bwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha even after I used your name Mark
Bwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Vince :lol:
:?
You ok funkymonk :D

BigVin

Postby BigVin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:07 pm

lol .. nope - already enough people on here who put camera's on their bikes, purely in the name of causing trouble.

I also doubt the council will do anything, like you've pointed out, but it would be good to see their reasoning behind their actions.

fixed

Postby fixed » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:00 pm

interesting to see where laissez faire politics will take you
whinge
whine
complain
activate
organise
change

We need Container Deposits Legislation in WA
Just as South Australia has since 1977 and now the Northern Territory will commence late 2011.

Beer is cheaper in SA than WA, and you get 10cents for each can/stubbie/container returned for refund.

Don't believe the Keep Australia Beautiful Council - its a packaging industry greenwash front group
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

BigVin

Postby BigVin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:19 pm

I think you're right.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:49 pm

+1 Glass factor is way down in Ade IME.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:23 am

Baalzamon wrote:... I'm going to try this with 2 bushes that are causing a hazard for me. One of them is growing into the bike lane and the other one is covering the bike lane forcing me into traffic on Berrigan Drive. :evil:
And this is why I carry a folding pruning saw in the handlebar bag.