Buddy Bike has anyone tried one

Trina

Buddy Bike has anyone tried one

Postby Trina » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi,
I want to know about the buddy bike if anyone has one. I have a disabled daughter who is 27 and have been searching for years for something that we can use to go riding as a family. We live on a major highway with traffic travelling at 110kms an hour so we need something that will fit on the back of the car as it is too dangerous out front. An alternative to a buddy bike would be a folding tandem or a normal tandem with quick release wheels. Has anyone tried putting one of these on a bike rack on the back of the car with other bikes. Say a rack that fits four bikes? I hear a folding tandem can be made with the S&S Couplings but would have to have it made in america unless I can find a bike builder here who would import the coupings. Please anyone with any bike knowledge I would be grateful. I have already tried TADWA and all they came up with was a trailer bike but my daughter is too big and it made the towing bike pull and was dangerous. Hope to hear for someone soon.

Trina

GraemeL

Re: Buddy Bike has anyone tried one

Postby GraemeL » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:24 am

I can't help with the bike but what about one of these? Scroll down a little and you will see one for a tandem.
http://www.gripsport.com.au/bike_galler ... &imgID=582

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:48 am

Trina wrote:... a folding tandem can be made with the S&S Couplings but would have to have it made in america unless I can find a bike builder here who would import the couplings. ...
There is at least one bike builder in WA certified to use S&S couplings, Martin from Logo Trikes in Spearwood. http://www.logotrikes.com/trike.html
And no, I'm not suggesting that you put your daughter on a trike, Martin has made other bikes and can at least do the aftermarket conversion to S&S for any bike that you find, however it might be worth contacting Martin to see if he's available then get some idea as to what to look for in a bike that he can then add the coupling to. Not all bikes will be suitable.
I don't know what you mean by 'buddy bike', do you mean one of those tandems that looks like a mountain bike with a recumbent seat and cranks spliced onto the front? Here's an example http://hasebikes.com/148-1-tandem-pino-allround.html

Trina

Postby Trina » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:21 pm

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for that post. That tandem looked smaller than most. The rack looks like it would serve the purpose although it only shows carrying one bike. We would probably want to carry atleast two more on the one rack..or even one more since my son is almost 16 he probably wont be going on too many more family outtings..again thankyou.

Trina

Postby Trina » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi Just,

no that is not what i was referring too but gee I had never seen those. The buddybike is at this site www.buddybike.com and at present are only made in America. Im hesitant to purchase one simply because when I have watched the video it looks like the back riders knees go out slightly. As we as parents are aging I dont want to stress out our knees too much, and feel that this bike might be a short investment.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:00 am

There's a few of the Hase-styled bikes around, a few different manufacturers and you'll see at least one custom-built.

As to the Buddy Bike, thanks for the link. The bike seems suited only for a small-sized front rider, as you say the rear rider has their riding space impinged, it doesn't seem to be anything that can be comfortable for long. I also didn't like that both riders are sharing the same steering, albeit two different handlebars attached but guaranteed that the rear rider will have to work with the weight of the front rider applied against their effort to turn the wheel, sort of like having someone sit on your handlebar while you give them a dink. To try to get around that they use very wide cruiser bars, if you were to take a normal corner on these you'll find the bar coming uncomfortably close to both riders.
http://www.buddybike.com/images/SpecsHandlebars.png
An interesting idea but I don' think that it'd work with other than small children; I'd prefer a more conventional tandem.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:04 am

ah, you haven't mentioned a budget but Bike Friday do a tandem which is dismantleable... this bike would easily fit in the car... no need to squeeze it on the racks

http://www.bikefriday.com/tandem

Peter Berra deals with all their Aussie sales. You can always give em an email.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:18 am

Thule make a roof mount rack for a tandem. Looks easy enough to put bike on and off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajk6ETiNH-s

John

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:53 am

I've had a Tandem in the boot of my VW Golf. Was folded down very very compact. From memory it was a DaVinci Tandem. Was giving a couple a lift from Perth for the Great Escapade.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Trina

Postby Trina » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:24 pm

jet-ski wrote:ah, you haven't mentioned a budget but Bike Friday do a tandem which is dismantleable... this bike would easily fit in the car... no need to squeeze it on the racks

http://www.bikefriday.com/tandem

Peter Berra deals with all their Aussie sales. You can always give em an email.
Hi, and thanks..I have looked at these but I was a bit worried they might not handle the off road riding. I live down Marg's way and would most likely use the bike on the rails to trails which is gravel or up in Busso along the coastal bike paths. The paths no doubt would be fine just not so sure about the rails to trails... I think they are a great concept. Do you konw how easy they are to fold away.

Trina

Postby Trina » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:28 pm

John Lewis wrote:Thule make a roof mount rack for a tandem. Looks easy enough to put bike on and off.

John
Hi John thanks for your reply. Im not sure I could handle a roof rack due to driving a land cruiser. They are quite high and I think I would have trouble reaching. Another alternative I was thinking would be quick release wheels. Not sure if that would make the bike fit onto the back with a normal bike rack or not. Would you know if quick release wheels can be fitted to any bike. The reason I ask is that there are some very cheap tandems on ebay and I thought I could go down this road first and see if it is all going to work. But the quick release wheels would have to be put onto this cheap bike for transport.
Again thanks for your advice.
Trina

Trina

Postby Trina » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:34 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I've had a Tandem in the boot of my VW Golf. Was folded down very very compact. From memory it was a DaVinci Tandem. Was giving a couple a lift from Perth for the Great Escapade.
Hi and thanks for replying to my post. Da Vinci are the company that make the S&S Couplings that create the folding tandems. I have also just seen a very small tandem that apparently are hired out in NSW. Saw these on ebay. They only have 16in wheels and fold with the coupling. Apparently they are ridden by adults but again as I want something to ride on gravel not sure how well they will go. It might be a case of buying and trying and selling if it doesnt suit the purpose.
Thanks
Trina

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi Trina, best thing to do is contact Bike Friday and tell them about your required useage. If you poke around the site a little you will find customer reviews.

http://community.bikefriday.com/twosday?sub=comments

I've found their website to be a bit slow and cumbersome but their customer service so far has been good - I have ordered two New World Tourists and expect them to arrive in May. I have seen a few BFs in the flesh but haven't actually seen one of their tandems.

There are also youtube videos.

Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:44 pm

Hase Pino will do everything you have listed - and then some.
There is an australian agent.

check out the video at:
http://hasebikes.com/index.php?article_id=167&clang=1
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi Trina
We have a Buddy Bike .
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 32&t=16156
Imported it ourselves from the states. We have a Gripsport Tandem Carrier that fits on the car towbar ( the type with square attachment-Hayman Reese), the front wheel is quick detach and it doesn't stick out too much on the sides of our VZ Commodore because they are shorter than a regular tandem. We love the bike , our daughter is learning to live with a few issues mainly vision impairment. We've had ours since Jan' 09. My daughter and I are on the Buddy Bike web site as we did a section of the Mutual Community Challenge in SA in '09. Good luck with whatever you do, because we wanted to do bicycling as a family activity and for us the BB is spot on.
All the best, ROB.

Trina

Postby Trina » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:41 pm

hazmat5765 wrote:Hi Trina
We have a Buddy Bike .
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 32&t=16156
Imported it ourselves from the states. We have a Gripsport Tandem Carrier that fits on the car towbar ( the type with square attachment-Hayman Reese), the front wheel is quick detach and it doesn't stick out too much on the sides of our VZ Commodore because they are shorter than a regular tandem. We love the bike , our daughter is learning to live with a few issues mainly vision impairment. We've had ours since Jan' 09. My daughter and I are on the Buddy Bike web site as we did a section of the Mutual Community Challenge in SA in '09. Good luck with whatever you do, because we wanted to do bicycling as a family activity and for us the BB is spot on.
All the best, ROB.
Hi Hasmat

Can I ask how old your daughter is. My daughter is 27 about 5 '5" and weighs about 60 kg. She can ride a bike as she use to before she got epilepsy. She has an intellectual disability also. Now days though when we put her on a bike she is dangerous as she gets easily distracted and looks around. She doesnt stop at path intersections and turns to look to see who is behind her. Hence needing something other than a normal bike. Thanks for your response to my post.

Trina

Trina

Postby Trina » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:16 pm

bradwoodbr wrote:Hase Pino will do everything you have listed - and then some.
There is an australian agent.

check out the video at:
http://hasebikes.com/index.php?article_id=167&clang=1
Hi Brad,

Just also suggested this site. These bikes look great. Not sure how my daughter would go on the front although they are good as she will still get plenty of exercise which is why we want to go down this road. Does the front rider have to pedal or can it be free when they get too tired. I think this bike would attract alot of attention from people which may not be a good thing. But something I will definitely consider.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:49 pm

I do know the Davinci tandem I took down for the Great Escapade had a different setup than other tandems. Pedals were offset for both people and both can freewheel.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

hazmat5765

Postby hazmat5765 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi Trina
Our daughter is nearly 10 y.o., about 4foot 2inch and 39-40 k.g. Her seat is as low as possible now and we have fitted crank shorteners for her, so there is plenty of room for her at this stage to grow. I am 6foot tall and 98 kgs and I have room to ride.
I do find my knees have to stick out sometimes to clear the stoker(passenger) but the benefits are that she gets a view of what's ahead instead of my back, if you are teaching somebody "right" and "left" then sharing the steering is is a good learning aid and the fact that they are seated in front where you can see them and give a reassuring tap now and again is good. Ours is the Sport model which has more rider legroom between the seats.

I'll admit that if you are used to riding ordinary bikes then the riding positions, the design of the handlebars etc, on the BB are a compromise but it's a good compromise and as you probably know sometimes that's the best you can do. We've done 100's of kms on the BB, it was made for a specific purpose and in that regard it does its job well and is well put together.
We tried to find a local bike builder but nobody seemed enthusiastic about it, or their costings were too high. We lived in SA at the time and Bernie Jones Cycles were the only ones that seemed interested.
Cheers, Rob.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:34 am

Trina wrote:
John Lewis wrote:Thule make a roof mount rack for a tandem. Looks easy enough to put bike on and off.

John
Hi John thanks for your reply. Im not sure I could handle a roof rack due to driving a land cruiser. They are quite high and I think I would have trouble reaching. Another alternative I was thinking would be quick release wheels. Not sure if that would make the bike fit onto the back with a normal bike rack or not. Would you know if quick release wheels can be fitted to any bike. The reason I ask is that there are some very cheap tandems on ebay and I thought I could go down this road first and see if it is all going to work. But the quick release wheels would have to be put onto this cheap bike for transport.
Again thanks for your advice.
Trina
Yes you could do that. You would need to buy suitable wheels though. Friends he have just done exactly that.
If you are up in the city some time you might stop in and have a chat with Nick Garland at Nick Garland Cycles.
I believe he is pretty clued up on tandems and may be able to help.
John

Trina

Postby Trina » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:34 pm

To Rob and John and everyone else who has posted to my questions a huge big thankyou. I have found out more just by reading what you guys have told me than 2 years of requests to engineers in Perth and emails to overseas. Your responses are greatly appreciated and my only problem now is selecting the path to go down. I feel reassured about the buddy bike now and the cheap tandom with quick release wheels is also high on the list. The buddy bike has the advantage of having my daughter sit in front and watch the world before her, and I dont think she would overtake the steering as she doesnt have alot of strength in her arms. Definitely food for thought. Again thankyou all.

Have a great week.

Trina

gcouyant

Postby gcouyant » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:59 pm

Trina wrote:I feel reassured about the buddy bike now and the cheap tandom with quick release wheels is also high on the list. The buddy bike has the advantage of having my daughter sit in front and watch the world before her,
Trina good on you for going to all this effort to include your daughter in your cycling exploits. She's a very lucky young lady.

I'm cautious about stepping on any commercial toes here but I think that in this case, you do deserve all the assistance you can get....

If you're stuck for a bicycle carrier to carry unusual bikes, we can most probably take care of it for you with one of the Extreme Duty carriers.

These have more clearance between the bikes than any other carrier product and pivot down to give you access to the rear of the vehicle. The extra clearance and vertical offset means that you don't have to stagger the bikes from side to side in order to have them fit on the carrier. This means that the total load is only as wide as the widest bicycle.

A fork mount is a good way to narrow the load if your front wheel has a quick release.

Trina you also mentioned off-road riding. If you own a 4WD and enjoy getting out there, then you can use this carrier to travel with bikes just about anywhere on the planet. The product web site is http://www.isi-carriers.com

If you would prefer a 4 bicycle carrier, then that product's web site is http://www.isi-carriers.com/isi-tc/town ... rrier.html

Happy to help.

Cheers
George
George from iSi Advanced Bicycle Carrier Systems

Trina

Postby Trina » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:09 pm

gcouyant wrote:
Trina wrote: If you're stuck for a bicycle carrier to carry unusual bikes, we can most probably take care of it for you with one of the Extreme Duty carriers.
Thanks for this info...these look fantastic. I take it the bottom bar extends outwards to allow a tandem to be placed on the back of a car. This way a typical bike can be placed on one rack and the tandem on the other... I take it that the hooks on the top adjust up and downwards to hold the bike in place for transport.

These look like they would make life easier. The cost is a bit scary by the time tansport is paid.. but well worth considering.
Again thanks... every little bit of info is helpful

Trina

Postby Trina » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:12 pm

[quote="jet-ski"]Hi Trina, best thing to do is contact Bike Friday and tell them about your required useage. If you poke around the site a little you will find customer reviews.

quote]

I got to see one of these... I was down at the local supermarket and looked up to see a bike friday towing a kids cart behind...they were alot sturdier looking than I ever imagined... they look great... I unfortunately didnt get to chat to the owners as they had it parked but where obviously on the Great Bike ride down in Margs ... hope everyone had a good time on that ride...there was lots of people down here..

Trina

BuddyBike

Postby BuddyBike » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:21 am

Hi Trina, thank you for considering the Buddy Bike and thanks "hazmat" for the continued support and kind words! I think the Buddy Bike would be a good fit for you although the import costs can be very high. I am 5'5, like your daughter, and can ride on the front of the bike although I'm a control-freak so I prefer to drive from the back seat! I guess it gives new meaning to "back-seat driver"! As long as the rear rider can see over the front rider's head you can ride it indefinitely. The Buddy Bike is shorter than a regular tandem so will feel closer but you will also have that security of having your daughter in front of you and in view should she begin to go into a seizure. You can also talk very comfortably and give words of support and encouragement. I carry our demo bikes on the back of my Honda Civic with a hitch rack. I have a "cradle" that gives extra security but my secret is to use nylon dog leashes to wrap the bike tightly to the rack. The bike sticks out a little beyond each side of my car. I don't suggest standard strap racks as the bike is too bulky for that. Someday we would like to build a foldable Buddy Bike but the price will greatly increase and we are trying to avoid that. Please let me know if you have any questions and I hope you and your daughter find a cycling solution that you can be happy with. Thank you! Shelley at Buddy Bike, USA