Audax diet

pickle

Audax diet

Postby pickle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:50 pm

I've got a 24 hour endurance event coming up in a few months (Rogaining for those that are interested). It's the state champs and I want to have a really good crack at it. What I'm wondering is, what do all you audax riders eat while out on those long rides? I was told by one audax guy that you have to start eating food with lots of good fats in it (avocado was the example) but beyond that I'm unsure of whats good or not.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated :D
Data not found... brain not found more like it

Aushiker

Re: Audax diet

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi

Not so much about food but still might be worth a read .. http://www.audax.org.au/pdf/faq/rodevans.pdf

Andrew

cavebear2

Re: Audax diet

Postby cavebear2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:30 pm

pickle wrote:I've got a 24 hour endurance event coming up in a few months (Rogaining for those that are interested). It's the state champs and I want to have a really good crack at it. What I'm wondering is, what do all you audax riders eat while out on those long rides? I was told by one audax guy that you have to start eating food with lots of good fats in it (avocado was the example) but beyond that I'm unsure of whats good or not.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated :D
A lot depends on whether you have support or not as to what food you are able to access. If it's rogaining (I've done a 24 hr event) then I carry as much fresh food that will keep as I can given that I don't need to carry overnight camping gear. I think your situation/requirements are going to be a lot different to a 24 hr supported bike ride such as our Opperman all day trial which we completed on the weekend. This had full 24 hr support from a station wagon and trailer as sag wagon and food/drink supply vehicle. Most food was fresh and what you would eat normally in a balanced diet. I do carry some emergency food on the bike which consisted of semi dried bananas (high in magnesium and carbs) plus low sugar/low fat muesli bars. I ate fresh salad rolls with ham, promite sandwiches for salt, egg sandwichs, home made yummy slices (made with fruit nuts, oats and honey) fresh bananas & apples. I drank 2 cans of Pepsi, about 12 litres of water, about 3 litres of staminade made up at half the recommended strength, and many cups of fruit cordial made with cold water. All of that got me through 587km of riding on a sometimes very hilly course (esp. 50km of the last 94km) at an average riding speed of 29.2 kmh

Cheers
Perry