37% of City of Perth's revenue is .....

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:48 am

City of Perth just announced their five year strategic financial plan.

Page 13 of the report breaks down their income stream with parking fees at 37.3% just under rates 38.7% There is no mention in the document of cycling infrastructure, though on page 20, $25M is allocated for a new car park.

Can this explain why City of Perth has successfully not installed a single new cycle lane or shared path in the last few years? They need the revenue from car parking?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:35 am

The real estate market is effectively crashing in qld at the moment (and it's very soft elsewhere too). A very large portion of the states revenues come from stamp duty from house sales.

I've got a very bad feeling that with a broke local council after the flood and now this cycling will go on the back burner. :(

Aushiker

Re: 37% of City of Perth's revenue is .....

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:37 am

Hi

I am not surprised that a 1/3 rd of the City of Perth's income is derived or projected to derive from car parking and hence can understand the investment in same, however, I am not convinced that providing of bicycle infrastructure will so severely impact on their income stream as to be a reason for not providing it.

I suspect the lack of provision is more of a cultural attitude/lack of understanding of the value of cycling and pedestrian infrastructure/seen as a black hole and so on.

Regards
Andrew

jet-ski

Re: 37% of City of Perth's revenue is .....

Postby jet-ski » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:55 am

When they bugger up all the E-W roads so no cars can travel across the city without being stuck in a traffic sewer ... parking may be effected also? It will also be a function of fuel prices, as soon as the AUD comes back down to normal levels the price of fuel will surge again. I feel as though Scaffidi has run out of puff and she is just letting the engineers and planners at CoP do their own thing. I thought she was a progressive thinker but haven't seen much good come out of the offices of CoP lately!

The car parks that currently exist in the CBD seem to fill up to capacity quickly. If you get to my part of town at 9am you have buckleys and none of finding a park. Thing is, with new office towers going up and opening, there are more people in the CBD.... and so they can drive in, ride or catch public transport. The strain the PT system is under has been fairly well covered in the news lately. There are only so many cars that can fit on the CBD roads.... that will choke growth in parking revenue, surely.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie