Cycling in Broome - HELP !

stang1

Cycling in Broome - HELP !

Postby stang1 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:45 pm

Ok, So I've been dispatched to Broome for the start of August for a minimum of 5-6 weeks. From a little search around the forum, I can tell there are people cycling in BROOME, and there are bike shops around. I will be using a bike to commute and to try keep my fitness levels up. The big question however, is

1) should I just bring my fixie ? or a road bike?
2) is there a Broome cycling club around ? ( google has yet to yeild me results :( )
3) or isit just simply to not bother road biking at all and just use a fixie to commute ?
4) any other options ? :D

Thanks for all responses/views.

damhooligan

Re: Cycling in Broome - HELP !

Postby damhooligan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:07 pm

stang1 wrote:Ok, So I've been dispatched to Broome for the start of August for a minimum of 5-6 weeks. From a little search around the forum, I can tell there are people cycling in BROOME, and there are bike shops around. I will be using a bike to commute and to try keep my fitness levels up. The big question however, is

1) should I just bring my fixie ? or a road bike?
2) is there a Broome cycling club around ? ( google has yet to yeild me results :( )
3) or isit just simply to not bother road biking at all and just use a fixie to commute ?
4) any other options ? :D

Thanks for all responses/views.

Mayby call the brrome bike shop and ask them?
They might know...

http://www.broomecycles.com.au/_html/contact.html
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:22 pm

take your road bike cos they have a regular ride out and back from the bike shop (i think) to the James Price Point road turn off. never road it myself but saw them plenty of times when going out to James Price Point
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

stang1

Postby stang1 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:02 am

Thanks guys, yes I did find that bike shop. Planning to ship my bike down already ! :D

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:29 pm

How did it go, I've got to go there for a week, are the roads Okies for road bike? Did u manage to do much riding?

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:49 am

Plenty of rides in Broome, get in touch with Moe or Dundee at the bike shop. There's rides going pretty much everyday. Decent roads if you dont mind riding in the heat and humidity. Was 29.5 minimum in Broome last night.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Pravda wrote:Plenty of rides in Broome, get in touch with Moe or Dundee at the bike shop. There's rides going pretty much everyday. Decent roads if you dont mind riding in the heat and humidity. Was 29.5 minimum in Broome last night.
live in darwin, so the weather will not bother me at all!

sweet, fly in sunday so might take a looksie! are you able to give me any idea's to go riding! or what routes to take, only have my road racer! will be staying at the oaks, working at the airport! but as i've got nothing else to do thought it would be good to spend it riding every day for a few hours!

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:33 pm

I reckon you'll find Broome a bit warmer than Darwin, but you should survive better than us southerners.
As far as rides go, head out to the port, then double back to Gantheaume point road, then double back again to Cable beach that'd be around 20km, if ya want something longer head out the highway towards Roebuck Roadhouse, return journey there should take you up to about 80km.

Here's a mate of mine's strava profile, should give you a bit of an idea. http://app.strava.com/athletes/1100643" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy!
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:02 pm

Pravda wrote:I reckon you'll find Broome a bit warmer than Darwin, but you should survive better than us southerners.
As far as rides go, head out to the port, then double back to Gantheaume point road, then double back again to Cable beach that'd be around 20km, if ya want something longer head out the highway towards Roebuck Roadhouse, return journey there should take you up to about 80km.

Here's a mate of mine's strava profile, should give you a bit of an idea. http://app.strava.com/athletes/1100643" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy!
sweet thanks heaps for the info :)

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Yeah I lived up that way for a long time. Can I just remind everyone to take it easy when the weather is hot and humidity is up. A young lad died not long ago from heatstroke up in the Kimberley.

Go out at first light or after dark, at least the temps drop to a more hospitable level. I used to go skating at around 9-10pm as it was too hot before then to be doing stuff outside.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:20 am

elStado wrote:Yeah I lived up that way for a long time. Can I just remind everyone to take it easy when the weather is hot and humidity is up. A young lad died not long ago from heatstroke up in the Kimberley.

Go out at first light or after dark, at least the temps drop to a more hospitable level. I used to go skating at around 9-10pm as it was too hot before then to be doing stuff outside.
same as in darwin, extremely humid and get's way to hot after 9:30am same as riding not till late afternoon or sun down :)

thanks everyone for the imput, arrive Sunday arvo, organised a box for my bike so I can't wait! will be fun to go riding somewhere different

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:18 pm

I road out to the bp, and was hooking, sitting on 37 - 40 most the way, thought i was in the tour de fance, couldn't believe how well i was going thinking how much different a non humid climate like darwin to broome would make such a difference, i go to the bp in 52 mins, which i was stocked, when i turned around to come back the head wind made me click why i was pumping along so well :( took 1hour and 20 to ride back, was a nice ride, didn't like riding along the hi way at night sort of left it to late, but traffic was extremely light and the road trains gave me alot of warning when they where coming up so i could get of the road!

hopefully join the morning ride group tomorrow morning for the 6 am ride, had to come into work this morning at 6 so missed that, will go for a nice ride tonight hopefully around the 70 - 80 km mark

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:53 pm

poohkies wrote:I road out to the bp, and was hooking, sitting on 37 - 40 most the way, thought i was in the tour de fance, couldn't believe how well i was going thinking how much different a non humid climate like darwin to broome would make such a difference
Broome... a non-humid climate? You mad? Maybe it's a tiny bit less humid than Darwin, but it's still ridiculously hot and sweaty most days during the wet season. Perth has been bad lately though, 80% right now.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:03 pm

Weather is no way near the same as Darwin! Hot yes sun is extremely hot! But humid hot like Darwin not a chance! I'm only using 1 water bottle on a ride, compared to 2-4 in Darwin! Air is much thinker hear also! Ride km/h av up also! So only thing is the wind they get out here! Really makes you push hard! When it's against you! Went a ride with the local Broome cycle group! Was great, tomorrow is the faster group, will see how I go, thinking I'm gonna get dropped pretty quick!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:13 pm

elStado wrote:. Perth has been bad lately though, 80% right now.
Should have waited a few hours - cracked 95% later in the night. But a full ten degrees cooler than last time I was in Darwin (dew point 29.5 all day, temp from 31 to 36 with narry a breathe of wind- super sticky)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:03 am

Well I loved being in Broome, can't wait to go back,

The cycling group where great, very friendly and was really good to go riding with them, they meet up at 6am every morning at the Cable Beach carpark near the coffee shop! and they also do a ride on a Saturday,

it's only about 30km's but it's a bloody fast 30km's my legs where still hurting on Sunday from Friday mornings ride!

Regards