Perth weather

Cycleops70

Re: Perth weather

Postby Cycleops70 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:39 pm

I got up before sunrise this morning for a ride.
Fantastic light show, and the thunder was so loud I could feel it.
Strange, I was the only one out :D

Tequestra

Postby Tequestra » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:50 pm

I had a bit of a dilemma this morning choosing the right break in the electrical sky performance to take a shower, even. I live in a multi-storey block and we have had the occasional close shave before here, that sound like a cannon blast right as the light flashes. You don't want to be in the shower, or riding the crest of a hill either, when lightning strikes. You probably won't get to hear the thunderclap in the shower.

Luckily I was not expected at my morning destination until 10am (GMT+8), and God knows that I was afraid to go out on my bicycle this morning and getting thunderstruck, for whatever that means. I even wore two pairs of long track-suit pants and wrapped plastic shopping bags around my feet in preparation. I guess it was plain to see for the omniscient ones in the world, so God stopped the rain and thunder and lightning at 09:30 (GMT+8) and I got the courage to embark on my ride quite overdressed indeed. Arrived 95% dry, but that was pure luck, from an atheist pov.

It is not rare over the decades for this much rain in April in Perth, but rain like this morning only seems to happen this early in the wet season every once in a while. I think it was God providing the opportunity at last to test out the waterproofing on the electrics on my bike, or maybe just good luck. Too bad I never got rained on after all that.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

owly

Postby owly » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:48 pm

Beautiful weather out there today. Rode up into the hills and did a lap around Victoria Dam on the gravel bike.

Came back into the city and went along the river for a bit. Heaps of families on their pushys.
MUFC :twisted:

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:50 pm

owly wrote:Beautiful weather out there today. Rode up into the hills and did a lap around Victoria Dam on the gravel bike.

Came back into the city and went along the river for a bit. Heaps of families on their pushys.

Magic day today. I was busy in the morning, but son did heritage trail loop on the xc bike and said heaps of riders out. Just did River/Kings park on Roadie and yes still heaps of familys out Burwood to South Perth. Probably average 10kph through S/Perth but its great seeing families out and about.

Will have to arrange a ride one day. If your keen or know anyone who's interested May 5th is XC super cross under lights at Claremont showgrounds. Organisers need minimum 120 riders to cover costs which they should get but the more the riders the better.
Need to pre enter and get a 3 race licence as a minimum, so all up cost will be around $100 ($50 entry $50 3 race licence). Normal XC races are $10-$20 entry
https://entryboss.cc/races/1148
https://www.wamba.org.au/index.php/cycl ... 5-05-00-00
Good bunch of guys and girls, U13 kids race which is hottly contested :wink:. Racing is not for sheep stations and chance of crashes and injury really is very minimal. Generally mass start of 10-20 riders depending on grade, and after 100-200m its single file and just rIde your race.

owly

Postby owly » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:12 pm

My boss said the other day there was going to be rain this weekend. Hmmn. Not today.

Rode up to Victoria Dam again to do another loop. Went down some different tracks this time. One crazy long steep rock-crawling climb. Hit a couple of nice slight downhill stretches on the east side.

2.1 knobbys on today. Really needed them on the downhill softer gravel sections.

Yeah, Nashie, if you're up for a gravel ride sometime would be good. I don't ride fast, just enjoy the scenery/exploring around. I do tend to be out 7+ hours though.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:02 pm

owly wrote:My boss said the other day there was going to be rain this weekend. Hmmn. Not today.

Rode up to Victoria Dam again to do another loop. Went down some different tracks this time. One crazy long steep rock-crawling climb. Hit a couple of nice slight downhill stretches on the east side.

2.1 knobbys on today. Really needed them on the downhill softer gravel sections.

Yeah, Nashie, if you're up for a gravel ride sometime would be good. I don't ride fast, just enjoy the scenery/exploring around. I do tend to be out 7+ hours though.

Mate I would be sleeping on the couch if I disappeared for 7 hrs :wink:. Bit of racing on for the next couple of months so out on the gas most rides at the moment, but will drop you a PM later on for a more casual ride. Have you ever done the loop around Mundaring weir ?. Did this many years ago, and there are some good tracks out the back.

owly

Postby owly » Tue May 01, 2018 10:41 am

NASHIE wrote:
owly wrote:My boss said the other day there was going to be rain this weekend. Hmmn. Not today.

Mate I would be sleeping on the couch if I disappeared for 7 hrs :wink:. Bit of racing on for the next couple of months so out on the gas most rides at the moment, but will drop you a PM later on for a more casual ride. Have you ever done the loop around Mundaring weir ?. Did this many years ago, and there are some good tracks out the back.

Closest I've come to that is heading up west and out of the Weir along the main road, then seeing a wide gravel road off to the left shaded by pine trees; thinking 'where does that go?'. Was pretty rutted at the time.

Sometimes I just go along the northern end of the rail trail then head down into the weir along the main road, then head along the track west following Helena Valley, popping out in the lower suburbs, then head back home.