Perth weather

Marty Moose

Re: Perth weather

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:15 pm

Sorry to hear your all busted up :( Depends on the brakes and rims I suppose I'd say your dud though. If its wet brake earlier to let the surface clean. Are you on a road bike with alloy rims ??

MM

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:54 pm

michelle_s wrote:I cycled this afternoon and was coming down majestic hill in applecross when my breaks didn't work due to the wet weather. I came off and am now very scratched up and bruised. Do you all have different breaks? Or is my bike a dud..
Sounds like typical wet brakes. Majestic can be quite hairy with traffic even in the dry, I would take that VERY slowly and carefully in the wet.

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:09 pm

Yeah I took it very slowly, tried to break
And they didn't work the bike slid under me and it was all over

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:20 pm

michelle_s wrote:I cycled this afternoon and was coming down majestic hill in applecross when my breaks didn't work due to the wet weather. I came off and am now very scratched up and bruised. Do you all have different breaks? Or is my bike a dud..
I'm curious - There are so many variants these days so it is hard to generalise. But when the choice was between chrome steel rims and ally alloy the alloy ones were almost as good in the wet as in the dry. Plus they never grabbed and threw you over the bars when it was dry. I assume that you did not have some chrome steel jobs.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:39 pm

Yeah I mustn't. I don't really know much about my bike. It's a 2008
Giant avail

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:47 am

I don't know the numbers, but braking performance is decrease exponentially when in the wet.
I wouldn't worry so much about your brakes, I think you just needed to apply your brakes a LOT sooner than you did. Everyones made that mistake.
However the cheapest upgrade to your brakes can be had with some new pads. I replaced mine a few weeks ago with some SwissStop GHP II ($30 online) and it brakes sooo much better in the dry.

Was lucky to dodge the rain yesterday afternoon, but I don't recall being covered in so much road grime ever before. Looked like I had just done the Paris-Roubaix !
But the change in wind was worth it :)

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:42 am

Rex wrote:I wouldn't worry so much about your brakes,
Michelle could do with essential brake knowledge though, I don't think going and buying a solution will help more than having an intimate knowledge of how to operate, adjust and maintain them, as well as practicing how to use them for emergency, then every time you jump on you know your brakes and skills are good whatever the conditions or surprises. e.g. I believe RAC are doing bike maintenance workshops worth a search.

Lots of crash variables, but michelle said it fell under her, that usually sounds like a front wheel loss of traction, too much brake, railing in/against a rut, surface change, slick contaminants etc. Just to note how mysterious the cause can be, one rider posted going from road to a driveway and having an off, maybe there was degreaser used on it before the rain, bondcrete sealant to the paint, bump and rail of a crack.

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:10 pm

eldavo wrote:
Rex wrote:I wouldn't worry so much about your brakes,
Michelle could do with essential brake knowledge though, I don't think going and buying a solution will help more than having an intimate knowledge of how to operate, adjust and maintain them, as well as practicing how to use them for emergency, then every time you jump on you know your brakes and skills are good whatever the conditions or surprises. e.g. I believe RAC are doing bike maintenance workshops worth a search.

Lots of crash variables, but michelle said it fell under her, that usually sounds like a front wheel loss of traction, too much brake, railing in/against a rut, surface change, slick contaminants etc. Just to note how mysterious the cause can be, one rider posted going from road to a driveway and having an off, maybe there was degreaser used on it before the rain, bondcrete sealant to the paint, bump and rail of a crack.
I realize there are many variables that can result in a crash.
Having ridden down Majestic Hill many, many times times and ridden several times this week I am fairly confident I understand the environment Michelle was riding in and came to the conclusion that it was likely too much speed that caused the crash, due to perhaps a combination of not braking early enough, over-estimating the capabilities of her brakes in the wet and perhaps a little inexperience.
I agree essential brake knowledge is important.

However quality brake pads are extremely important. I'm not saying everyone should go out and replace their brake pads that came with their bike but for me the difference was considerable that for $30 I wish I had done a lot sooner.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:21 pm

I disagree with the however, if she were to go out and get $30 brake pads and think her problem is solved, watch for the next rider down posted.
No point having the world's best brake pads if they're not adjusted correctly or you don't have confidence to brake with them.
Not to mention that many riders have ridden for years in all conditions before SwissStop, and will continue to without.

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:35 pm

Fair point.

On another note, I was leading a group yesterday morning on the usual route and went through a roundabout at speed straight into a road that had been ripped up and covered in gravel. A very hairy few seconds as we all struggled to stay upright.

Karati

Postby Karati » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:20 pm

The roads were slippy yesterday arvo. I lost the rear in south Perth over some road markings while turning a corner was lucky to catch it and stay wheels down.

As far as brakes go...assume they are terrible in the wet because generally they are! Regardless of what compound you have in the pads you'll still have terrible performance till you scrub out all the water, oil and grit off the rim so start braking early and squeeze not grab. Sounds like you might have had the wheels locked up in your crash yesterday. Sometimes it's hard to tell in the wet when it's slippy.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Moving on, not really sure where to put this other than it was a near miss last night involving our locally famous RolandP in front of me, car blows a stop sign across the PSP and him if he hadn't emergency braked.
Dry air but wet/gritty surface, I poster framed what came off his wheel through that intersection, the lime/gravel path the cars/trucks take that deposits at the emergency braking zone =D It's also access path for trucks picking/depositing bulk material at the freeway edge of the park for Stirling council mulch and earthworks distribution.

Roland incident

Also in finer weather recently, it wasn't the awesome hour long sunset night that was possibly the best all sky orange cloud/blue sky variety sunset I've ever seen for that long... but the Cirque du Soleil balloon on Powis Street.

Ovo promotion

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:05 pm

I guess it had to happen got drowned this morning and covered in sand and grit :) But we do need the rain.

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Marty Moose wrote:I guess it had to happen got drowned this morning and covered in sand and grit :) But we do need the rain.
Yeah, I didnt get wet but certainly got covered. I knew I should have put on my overshoes :?

Thursday looks lovely but, unsure if I'll ride into the Kings Park dawn service. I was very unappreciated last year walking my bike around the thongs of people.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Had a dog bolt out of a yard heading north on a street section of the northern psp this morning and ended up in the gutter on my arse. My brakes worked fine!
Banged up knee and a big bruise on my arse are the least of my worries. Holes in knicks, jersey and shoe covers make it an expensive fall. Time to get the sewing kit out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:21 pm

Bummer (pardon the pun!)
What street/section/area was it, in case it's loitering around an open gate all day will watch out for it in the future.

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:45 pm

I want to cycle this afternoon but too scared in case it's wet after my last fall :(

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:49 pm

eldavo wrote:Bummer (pardon the pun!)
What street/section/area was it, in case it's loitering around an open gate all day will watch out for it in the future.
Not sure of the street name but it was on the downhill of the strava segment Vomit Peaks. Just after the beach road (I think) underpass.

2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:50 pm

michelle_s wrote:I want to cycle this afternoon but too scared in case it's wet after my last fall :(
Looks dry up here in the north. Best way to get over a crash is to hop back on the bike.

2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:56 pm

Pravda wrote: Looks dry up here in the north. Best way to get over a crash is to hop back on the bike.

Definitely drying out this afternoon. Wet roads ride in. Dry ride home I think

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Yeah it's looking pretty good!

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Today is AWESOME

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Marty Moose wrote:Today is AWESOME
Agreed. Just did 70 mins up and down the Roe PSP and it was very pleasant in both directions. I was enjoying the ride so much I almost forgot to aim for the millipedes.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 pm

rcmkII wrote:
Marty Moose wrote:Today is AWESOME
Agreed. Just did 70 mins up and down the Roe PSP and it was very pleasant in both directions. I was enjoying the ride so much I almost forgot to aim for the millipedes.
I'm here laughing hard that was funny :) :) :P

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:50 pm

Hanging for work to end so I can get out on the pushy. Only bad thing is it gets dark so early now so can only get about 40kms in.