Perth weather

eldavo

Re: Perth weather

Postby eldavo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:42 am

When I read CXC's post this morning I thought he must have been looking at the tailwind numbers only... I saw a tall guy on a 29er MTB fat tyres etc. bolt upright like a 40kph hi-vis spinnaker =D

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Sarcasm doesn't translate well to online forums. Wind was a bit too westerly for a true tailwind assistance whilst several occasions found me wildly grabbing the bars as they tried to veer me into a rapidly approaching tree etc. Overall though not as bad as I thought- didn't rain for the commute but bike and me thoroughly muddied up (Peppa Pig would be proud is what my kids say when I get home all muddy!!).

Hope the wind swings westerly /southwesterly for the commute home tonight

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Just westerly and stronger it looks like.
http://wind.willyweather.com.au/wa/perth/perth.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Strong westerlies on the way home - a fair way less than the worst I have experienced, but this time I did stop for a video to share. There were plenty of other idiots on the path with me.

The video at http://s991.photobucket.com/user/colino ... f.mp4.html does it more justice than the pic but I can't post a video-window from Photobucket so here's a teaser pic.

In the video have a look further up the path (near top of screen) of the video and you can see the SERIOUS bit. I had a lot of salt to wash out of my pancho and my spray jacket. :mrgreen:

Anyway, the image is: Image
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:57 pm

Yech. I am listening to my rattling windows, contemplating the squalls and cold and rain that will still be with us tomorrow morning.

And wondering, am I gonna have any company?

Who's up for it?

jlh

Postby jlh » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:36 am

Was just thinking, good luck to all riding tomorrow. Least I got a decent ride in on Saturday.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:32 am

About to head out into the wind after a night of unsettled sleep due to several neighbourly items banging and crashing

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:49 am

Bom radar unavailable coincidentally?

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:00 am

Eldavao- the Airport Radar is working though.

Ride in was pretty good- picked up a KOM (5th one ever), wind wasn't an issue and it didn't rain. Plenty of branches down, there is a new jump on the PSP just south of Erindale Road due an uprooted tree and several trees down around Glendalough but largely all good.

Picked up a large chunk of glass just before arriving at work- I hope I have managed to remove it before it punctured the tube- shall see at lunchtime.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:06 pm

Yeah a couple of riders I heard chatting at Karrinyup Rd. one said to the other "so you must be a MTBer getting air with that jump!" from the uprooted tree =D

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:05 pm

I ran from Applecross to West Perth this morning, didn't get rained on until I turned onto Hay Street and then it was a little spitty... Some spray from the waves hit me. Contrary to the belief at my work place... I'll not die.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Dropbear water droplets =D

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:35 pm

eldavo wrote:Dropbear water droplets =D
Its the worst sort of encounter...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Parker wrote:I ran from Applecross to West Perth this morning, didn't get rained on until I turned onto Hay Street and then it was a little spitty... Some spray from the waves hit me. Contrary to the belief at my work place... I'll not die.
Entirely the same expereience. My ride in was from 5:40 to 7:20 and from the south like you.

When I woke to Eoin Cameron telling me that the winds were going to be 35-50kph and the worst to hit Perth in "about thirty minutes time" I had a brief moment of indecision. As it was it was one of the better rides in that I have had in the last few weeks.

I didn't get anything to worry about all through Bateman, Brentwood, Mt Pleasant or Como. At one stage around the Royal Perth Golf Course I did get a few drops. So I checked to the west and saw some crap over towards Claremont so I put my pancho on for the only time. I needn't have bothered.

However, there were certainly some swells in the ocean earlier as the river was way up. And the river-side lane of Kwinana Freeway near Canning Bridge had been closed for water on the road but there was none by the time I was there. A little bit of detritus here and there and a few of those temporary fencings knocked over. And that was the extent of it.

All in all a good ride. I will see if the wind is so gentle with me on the way home.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:47 pm

Parker wrote:I ran from Applecross to West Perth this morning, didn't get rained on until I turned onto Hay Street and then it was a little spitty... Some spray from the waves hit me. Contrary to the belief at my work place... I'll not die.
That's a good run!
<removed by request>

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:56 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
That's a good run!
Whats worse is I'm going to run home...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:56 pm

This arvo proved, like this morning, to be not at all unpleasant. There was a fair bi tof wind but nothign excessive. And the river was about a metre lower than the morning which greatly reduced the amount of spray coming across the path in Como.

I came across one of the eminently familiar BNA personalities on my trip home. She was on foot so, for once, I did not have to pedal at my extreme limits to have a conversation.

I regret that I did not think to ask if Missy is your real name Missy. Perhaps next time.

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:29 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:This arvo proved, like this morning, to be not at all unpleasant. There was a fair bi tof wind but nothign excessive. And the river was about a metre lower than the morning which greatly reduced the amount of spray coming across the path in Como.

I came across one of the eminently familiar BNA personalities on my trip home. She was on foot so, for once, I did not have to pedal at my extreme limits to have a conversation.

I regret that I did not think to ask if Missy is your real name Missy. Perhaps next time.
Me! The former Missy24 who changed ger name to Parker. Real name Rowena (promise)!

I was so happy to finally see you, you're well known and I've been on the look out for you for over a year!

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am

What rain? Its not like it rained every time I went up a hill at Kings Park this morning and then stopped on the downhill and then it goes again on the up!!!

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:24 pm

eldavo wrote:Yeah a couple of riders I heard chatting at Karrinyup Rd. one said to the other "so you must be a MTBer getting air with that jump!" from the uprooted tree =D

This was fixed last night, along with the majority of the trees etc.. pretty impressed with that service.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:33 pm

Yeah the root was chopped, width of it dug out and new bitumen repacked.
The poor cheese-cutter cyclone fence is doing a good job of holding up the tree.

Windy weather with not much rain, fine Saturday Sunday forecast with a glimpse of milder repeat next week.
http://www.bom.gov.au/wa/forecasts/perth.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:02 pm

I hadn't ridden for nearly two weeks due to a nasty cold, I felt so down this morning because I've missed it so much, literally almost shed a tear! So I was riding in no matter what today, and boy do I feel so much better for it :) Wind was blowing strong against me but kept a good average. Toot toot!

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:40 pm

It was windy for me in Perth this morning. I rode from Belmont to Perth this morning with quite a fresh wind. It added 8 minutes to a 9 km trip... quite a lot! Usual is 24 minutes, this morning was 32 mins.

I want that as a tailwind on my way home :mrgreen:
<removed by request>

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:59 pm

Got hit in the face a few times by the river this morning along the PSP.

Was riding in wet weather gear so no major harm done, struggle to keep 30kph most of the way it, them it was trying to keep 25kph along the foreshore.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:02 am

luuurrvely ride in this morning =)