Perth weather

JBark

Re: Perth weather

Postby JBark » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:59 am

Man that was a wild ride home this arvo. The first 7km heading W were brutal, but when I turned south, the wind also seemed to shift tNW a few times, so the crosswind turned into an insane tailwind occasionally. And of course, the ride was dry until a squall hit me literally two minutes from home, ugh.

Now I'm sitting here watching fibre fence panels snap off and blow over in the backyard. 3 panels down so far, looks like the rest are going to hold. I though they might have just blown over, but checked a few minutes ago and they've all snapped off at ground level. It's times like these I don't mind renting, cause fixing it is a 30 second phone call to the property managers. :)

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:56 am

I actually had a great ride home this evening, although I got saturated by salty river water.

Stopped and took some pics with my GoPro. Also got some gnarly video footage of being smashed by waves.

Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:53 am

Looking drier out there, though I have put the tights on for this morning.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:42 am

Overall i had a decent commute in to UWA from SOR; The Kwinana PSP from Canning bridge to the detour was full of debris, mud, rocks and all manner of obstacles for a road bike! Must make a case for a CX bicycle to the minister of war and finance! :) A serious headwind and gusts heading along Mts Bay Rd to UWA made for a decent finish to the commute!Working late today so will be on the train home.Ride safely everyone! 8)
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

as7431

Postby as7431 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:25 pm

Normally I head along Mounts Bay Rd after coming down the Michell PSP and then through the city on my way to UWA. Today, I did not fancy the salt bath, so headed up Thomas and through Kings Park :oops: (where's the wimp smilie??). Lots of small debis made it necessary to concentrate, but all up not as bad as expected. Hopefully the wind will shift more southerly for my trip home (along the coast). May be up for some strava PBs :D

Tim

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Wel, I got that wrong. Jut before I headed out I got a heap of rain. Somehow though, once it stopped I was good for the rest of the ride.

Lots of rubbish around Canning Bridge. Not much car traffic outside of jams at Mt Henry and Canning Bridges. The rest of the freeway resembled what I would see on a sunday morning. Also very light on Riverside Drive.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:11 pm

dino1969 wrote:Overall i had a decent commute in to UWA from SOR; The Kwinana PSP from Canning bridge to the detour was full of debris, mud, rocks and all manner of obstacles for a road bike! Must make a case for a CX bicycle to the minister of war and finance! :) A serious headwind and gusts heading along Mts Bay Rd to UWA made for a decent finish to the commute!Working late today so will be on the train home.Ride safely everyone! 8)
I saw two big hunks of timber washed up on the path and something resembling a ski pole. Almost stopped and picked it up to use for my GoPro.

Was very thankful to be running 700x35 semi slicks this morning! Ploughed through the sand, seaweed and other debris with ease.

giantguy

Postby giantguy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:32 pm

I was crazy enough to ride on Wednesday. The morning was fine with just some light rain around 5:30am. I left work around 3pm and it was my most windy ride ever.

My ride home is 10km in a westerly direction directly into the wind. Normally takes around 28 - 32 minutes on my MTB commuter. Leaving work I could tell it was going to be hard as I was already pedalling in the low gears. I turned against the wind turning into another road and several gusts of wind literally almost blew me off my bike a few times . I was having to ride actually leaning into the wind to stay upright. Approaching home just a few km from the coast I was in my lowest gear crawling along at 9km/h and I was ready to get off and walk.The wind added an extra 10 minutes to my normal ride time.

This morning going to work was great. A really strong tailwind (which is rare) and one of my best ride times into work. Riding up hills I could really feel the assistance of the wind.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:49 pm

elStado wrote:Image
that's a cracker of a pic.
Haven't faced anything like that, the wind has been entertaining though. I was getting about on my heavy bike today and just about managed a PB on strava going down KPR. Like other riders I've found a howling tailwind on the way to work has been a welcome novelty.

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:03 am

giantguy wrote:I was crazy enough to ride on Wednesday. The morning was fine with just some light rain around 5:30am. I left work around 3pm and it was my most windy ride ever.

My ride home is 10km in a westerly direction directly into the wind. Normally takes around 28 - 32 minutes on my MTB commuter. Leaving work I could tell it was going to be hard as I was already pedalling in the low gears. I turned against the wind turning into another road and several gusts of wind literally almost blew me off my bike a few times . I was having to ride actually leaning into the wind to stay upright. Approaching home just a few km from the coast I was in my lowest gear crawling along at 9km/h and I was ready to get off and walk.The wind added an extra 10 minutes to my normal ride time.

This morning going to work was great. A really strong tailwind (which is rare) and one of my best ride times into work. Riding up hills I could really feel the assistance of the wind.
Bah. This wind is nothing compared to when I cycled through Marseille as the Mistral wind was howling through. You'd be ok for a minute and all of a sudden a massive gust would come screaming through. Even with a full laden touring bike weighing around 30kg plus me I was getting blown all over the road. I ended up walking most of the way to my friend's place (only 7km) and even walking was difficult haha.

Can't seem to get the video to embed.. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_QSJd8oCXs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://youtu.be/D_QSJd8oCXs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:37 am

Try a loaded touring bike being pushed with no pedalling and accelerating by the force of the wind up a 2% grade hill. I reckon if it wasn't the end of the trip I would have been pushed to 50kph but I started hitting brakes to stop when it hit 25kph.
Fellow I was with got pushed to 55kph by the wind.. Imagine cruising at 20kph next thing BAM 55kph
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Bit toasty out this arvo, at least the wind has knocked it off a bit

higdawg

Postby higdawg » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:08 pm

I'm enjoying how cool it is with the cloud cover and a little bit of drizzle.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:10 pm

ITS HOT ;)

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Out at 530, quick 50, back home and air con. That's been the norm all week for me. Just back from a killer leg session at the gym, man it was like a sauna.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Out at 5 and up to Jarrahdale.

It was 42.9 on the Garmin at 9.30am at Cockburn Central

115kms though very slow into the Easterly.

Far out - now drinking plenty :)
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Planning on riding to Perth tomorrow - should be hot hot HOT!

I think it may be the time to break out the winter head lamp and make it an early start.

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:34 pm

I usually ride a lap around Shelley foreshore at 4.30-5pm, and I don't really notice the heat then. Bit different in the morning though - not pleasant with the heat of the sun AND the hot air.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

chalkie

Postby chalkie » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:36 pm

Thursday: 38 at Mundaring told me I'd started too late. 44.7 along Helena Valley confirmed it!
Saturday - much smarter - left at 6:30 - garmin said 28 already! - WT? :o

Rex

Postby Rex » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:45 pm

I have the water bottles in the freezer ready for tomorrow mornings ride.
I wonder if they'll stay frozen by the end of the driveway :lol:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:34 pm

Forecast of early max of 41 so I left earlyish to beat it somewhat. However the Doctor arrived early and very brisk so max was a relatively mild 36 point something before midday. Managed sedate fifty kms over 6.5 hours.

Those fountains in Forest Chase are awesome. I found that stretchy stuff like many of us wear, once soaked, provides a good thirty minutes or more of blissful cooling.

Yep, overall it was not anywhere near as tough as I was expecting. :D

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:52 am

Not sure how accurate the max temp is on my garmin Edge 500, but this is yesterday morning at about 10am on Ranford Rd.
The min temp is accurate, confirmed with BOM at 5:30am

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:53 am

I wasput at 530 and back for 730 and it was already bloody warm..
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

roller

Postby roller » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:37 am

hot and still at 530 this morning for me too.

next up is a bikram ride home at 2pm. :shock:
inflammatory statement or idea

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:50 am

Rex wrote:Not sure how accurate the max temp is on my garmin Edge 500, but this is yesterday morning at about 10am on Ranford Rd.
The min temp is accurate, confirmed with BOM at 5:30am

The BOM temps are shaded weather station temps, so if you're in full sun, I'm picturing Wiggles on bikes top to toe skivvies and non vented skate helmets singing 'hot potato hot potato'