Perth weather

CXCommuter

Re: Perth weather

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:36 am

A fair bit cooler this morning, start of my fav. time of year- autumn.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:17 pm

Windy Coast!
I died riding against the SW headwind Hillarys to Fremantle 1-2pm yesterday... some doctor's appointment, I forgot the Freo doctor =P
I was pushing to make the appointment so the weather was great, not a drop of sweat that didn't dry to a salty crust with the breeze whilst in 95-100% heart rate for majority of the ride, over redline on the longer hills into the headwind.
Wind at the back on the way home 3:30-4:30pm, I was having such a great time with wind at back standing on the pedals rolling the wind fed rollercoaster of West Coast Highway Trigg to Hillarys... a few sprints for the hill climbs to keep it going, I forgot to turn off to home and over-shot by several km's =P Not so blissful double back against the wind again, doh! :P

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:21 pm

OMGosh will it just rain in Perth, so blasted humid, dripping and sodden when I got to work. On the upside the lack of wind helped average speed but didn't help cooling. Twas a bit like riding at home on the rollers without a fan.

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:37 pm

And there I was dripping and sodden because I got caught in the rain this morning. Just beautiful with the smell of rain on the dry roads and earth, but it did remind me of the limited braking capabilities of a road bike in the wet. Took it very cautiously up to South Perth and back to Roe Hwy.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:46 pm

No rain for me- damp roads which dried south of Karrinyup Rd- just humidity

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Missed it all, been up on site in the pilbara for 2 days, left the bike at work on Monday though so I've got a ride home tomorrow to look forward to, assuming it's dry again

dampier

Postby dampier » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:48 pm

Magnificent day for riding again, particularly enjoyed going through the booze bus set up, with the policeman directing every car into it and just waved me through.

Redbull

Perth weather

Postby Redbull » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Happy days up in Jarrahdale this morning. Beautiful riding through there.
Mocha at Jarrahdale Store was the bomb just to make my day :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:48 pm

I know, right? Cruised down the coast to Freo to take in some of the street arts festival, sammich at Culleys, then home via the river. Absolutely gorgeous day for it. Been too long since I rode somewhere other than work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 pm

And it just keeps getting better :-)
Rocky to East Perth and back - beautiful 120 clicks.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:43 pm

Spectacular day out- rode the 5 dams course from/to Guildford (just don't ask for about a month until I have recovered enough to look at a bike again). Nice southerly to push me home and not much of a headwind in the hills aside from Canning Highway which is all around unpleasant- rough road, fast traffic, rolling terrain (read UP and down) and headwind.

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:19 pm

Hands froze out to Jarrahdale but I wouldn't have changed anything... perfect day for it.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:11 pm

Rex wrote:Hands froze out to Jarrahdale but I wouldn't have changed anything... perfect day for it.
Cold thumbs this morning - should have grabbed the gloves with fingers!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:09 pm

Yep - tiny bit chilly starting out this morning.
Might need to look into some long fingered gloves and some arm warmers.

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:33 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Rex wrote:Hands froze out to Jarrahdale but I wouldn't have changed anything... perfect day for it.
Cold thumbs this morning - should have grabbed the gloves with fingers!
Yeah but I was in the saddle until 1pm so no regrets.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:22 am

bit nippy in this morning, was ok once you get going though. But yes, time for full finger gloves :D

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:25 pm

Had the long finger gloves every morning throughout the Easter long weekend, arm warmers on one of the mornings too.

Thermal/wool socks or toe covers might have to come out soon. Couldn't feel my toes on last Sunday morning's ride.

Annoying time of the year to be riding especially early in the morning on a long ride - have to strip something off at some point.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:49 am

Not that annoying- better than 30 degrees at 6 in the morning- love this time of year, wind drops back a lot especially in the mornings. Easy enough to keep warm with one or two extra items and nice and warm once the sum comes up. I prefer cool to cold weather though- you can shove the heat up the proverbial. Also means numbers of cyclists start to drop off- wimps

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:08 am

True... Noticed much less bikes in the bike bays at work this past few days. Could also be that people are just having a couple days off work between public holidays though.

I prefer cold than hot. I love getting out of the shower at work and not having to worry about still dripping with sweat.

I got myself some long fingered gloves yesterday and rocked them on the way in this morning. Found that I was overall less cold up the arms and around the shoulders etc. Was nice! Could have also just been that it wasnt as cold this morning as it has been on Tuesday and Wednesday this week though, so possibly a bit of placebo at play.

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:29 pm

My god it's freezing in the morning! I've wanted to go out at about 5am but find it very difficult as im so cold. I have fingerless gloves, a jacket, arm warmers, socks and long pants. What else can I use to keep warm as its far too cold for me.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:45 pm

I wear winter full finger gloves, sometimes motorcycle winter gloves between drying rotation. Silicon palm/fingers for good control, goretex etc. type liner.
Thermal underwear cotton tights as aero trackies over the top until I warm up enough (if at all) over the cycle tights. 12degC is first longs threshold for me, then more layers or heavier each 2degC drop. Can stop and strip them off along with the neck/head warmer tube that covers top of head, ears and neck. (Sometimes just pull it down off head to neck alone if near end cool down)
After getting used to the temp thresholds each winter, the routine of gearing up right and stripping down along the ride happen while half asleep. Booties for shoes water and wind cut.
Start in comfort, and keep it going all winter. With the traffic lights on northern PSP route I would strip down when forced stopped anyway so don't lose too much time.
P.s. i use a rear rack with trunk bag so the bulk of wet and warm gear in addition to daily luggage isn't an issue.
Leaving 30min before sunrise so at least some light in the sky buoys the spirits when sunrise hits you are 30min warmed up and all cold is forgotten when rolling down a hill to a blazing orange peel on the horizon. Brings icy wind watering tears to your eyes ;)

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:24 am

That does sound good but I don't have a rear rack on my roadie nor can I leave 30mins before the sun comes up :( I want to be able to do a decent ride and be home by 6:30am to get ready for work.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:05 am

Thermals are great to keep your core warm, then cover your extremities, ie ears (maybe winter cap, head buff, skully), gloves (full finger) neck warmers, toe covers, wooly socks.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:00 am

I mix up thermals and compression clothing- light and thin so they don't mess with movement- multiple layers for the zero degree days. Thermal gloves (I have some old cannondale ones bought on clearance and some newish Campag gloves which are awesome and water resistant also), booties for cold and/or wet days. I also have a windproof cycling jacket but have yet to use it in cold weather.

Rainjackets etc I find too hot and just sweat. I may look into a headband or similar to keep the ears/head warm.

With the above I don't miss days commuting due to the cold and I leave at 6 in the morning

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:08 am

michelle_s wrote:That does sound good but I don't have a rear rack on my roadie nor can I leave 30mins before the sun comes up :( I want to be able to do a decent ride and be home by 6:30am to get ready for work.
30mins before the sun comes up is the coldest time of the day.
Our week days rides start at around 4.50am and are finished by 7am.
Coldest part of winter is riding through Applecross - cold damp hole in the ground!

Generally it's not cold enough for anything more than thick arm warmers, long finger gloves and and booties. I'm getting older and must be feeling the cold so am conceding now to bib Knicks (just below the knees) and a head band to keep my ears warm.

On wet and cold days a gillet or a spray jacket. Everything else is too hot for Perth.