Perth weather

rcmkII

Re: Perth weather

Postby rcmkII » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:25 pm

I went for a half hour ride last Sunday, met my wife for coffee & cake at Deep Water Point, and all the while I was eyeing the dark clouds overhead. Sure enough it bucketed down as I left, but I rode half an hour until I was nearly home, then detoured past the Kent St Weir and back along the Roe from Spencer Rd for a total of 90 mins/42km. An hour of that was in the rain and wind, but I was enjoying the ride so much I didn't want to stop.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:04 pm

beeeyootiful this morning

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:17 pm

jaseyjase wrote:beeeyootiful this morning
Indeed.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:46 pm

Like spring for first day of TdF centenary. Just used a can and half of insect spray on mega plague of flying ant like insects along with ants that seemed to come out of winter hiding.

Rex

Postby Rex » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:57 pm

Yep, near perfect this morning.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Was a bit cooler this morning -0.7c the garmin Ouch.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:55 pm

this weekend should be cooler again marty!

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:02 pm

jaseyjase wrote:this weekend should be cooler again marty!
Yeh going to the hills tomorrow will be cold as I don't want to carry to much stuff ;)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

jlh

Postby jlh » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:26 pm

Kudos to any crazy buggers who rode in today - raining cats and dogs atm

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:37 pm

I don't think anybody who rode in anticipated this massive south west front:
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR701.loop.shtml#skip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:06 pm

I have a half-hour commute and managed to get home last night, and get in this morning completely dry. Unless you count the bus that perfectly timed its run through the puddle, just as the PSP was close to the road...

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:09 pm

I got thoroughly soaked this morning. It was raining from the time I left home to arriving at work. The problem is that it was cloudy with patches of blue sky and sun when I was getting ready but by the time I left the rain had set in. I feel very fortunate to have great drying facilities at work so I won't have to cycle home in wet gear.
<removed by request>

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:23 pm

BrownBike wrote:I have a half-hour commute and managed to get home last night, and get in this morning completely dry. Unless you count the bus that perfectly timed its run through the puddle, just as the PSP was close to the road...
I have to admit, I passed a guy a while back north of Leederville Vincent St exit where it's undulating and lots of puddles were, without noticing the timing I happened to pass just as I was beside him and I splashed into a big puddle, flooded his feet, he reacted with a surprised "ahhh naawwww!" which made me chuckle for the next couple hundred metres as you do at other peoples mild misfortune. Now there's one more thing I look out for when passing =P

BrownBike

Postby BrownBike » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:29 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I got thoroughly soaked this morning. It was raining from the time I left home to arriving at work. The problem is that it was cloudy with patches of blue sky and sun when I was getting ready but by the time I left the rain had set in. I feel very fortunate to have great drying facilities at work so I won't have to cycle home in wet gear.
You can't help it if you have to be at work by a certain time, but the BOM radar is worth its metaphorical weight in gold at times like these.

roller

Postby roller » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:47 pm

got a little rained on this morning in king's park, then dried off to an extent

then just as we finished our laps for the day we got absolutely SOAKED.

not looking forward to putting on wet socks and knicks this afternoon.
inflammatory statement or idea

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:51 pm

BrownBike wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:I got thoroughly soaked this morning. It was raining from the time I left home to arriving at work. The problem is that it was cloudy with patches of blue sky and sun when I was getting ready but by the time I left the rain had set in. I feel very fortunate to have great drying facilities at work so I won't have to cycle home in wet gear.
You can't help it if you have to be at work by a certain time, but the BOM radar is worth its metaphorical weight in gold at times like these.
I have a lot of interia when it comes to cycling. Because all my gear is laid out and all I have to do is get dressed and leave, it just seems like a lot less hassle than hiking to the bus station to wait in the rain for a bus and get wet walking from the bus to the train and from the train to work. Getting soaked cycling to work was my best option this morning even though it was pretty miserable. Realistically, there are people that are a lot worse off than getting a little wet on the way to a secure job... :wink:
<removed by request>

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:32 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I got thoroughly soaked this morning.The problem is that it was cloudy with patches of blue sky and sun when I was getting ready but by the time I left the rain had set in.
I had the opposite experience, it was raining when I got up and I decided to take the motorcycle. By the time I left it was sunny and I didn't get a drop of rain on me (just a bit of spray from trucks on the wet road). Looking at the weather this afternoon I think I may have made the right choice anyway.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:58 pm

mikedufty wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:I got thoroughly soaked this morning.The problem is that it was cloudy with patches of blue sky and sun when I was getting ready but by the time I left the rain had set in.
I had the opposite experience, it was raining when I got up and I decided to take the motorcycle. By the time I left it was sunny and I didn't get a drop of rain on me (just a bit of spray from trucks on the wet road). Looking at the weather this afternoon I think I may have made the right choice anyway.
I'm looking at it now thinking it's not going to be a pleasant trip home.
<removed by request>

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:01 pm

It should be OK for riding to Toodyay this arvo... set a PB ;)

PS: current temp to apparent difference due to the wind
14.7 - 8.2

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:24 pm

eldavo wrote:It should be OK for riding to Toodyay this arvo... set a PB ;)

PS: current temp to apparent difference due to the wind
14.7 - 8.2
Nice one. I am heading out now feeling very much unmotivated.
<removed by request>

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Wow its a wild night... Got home safe with some serious wandering from cross winds, 10kph speed drop into wind on riverside drive. Oncoming riders heading to Vic park were flying though, one lady on a town bike freewheeling at 35kph it looked like :)

BrownBike

Postby BrownBike » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:26 pm

I almost literally flew home heading east along mounts bay rd. Strava PRs ahoy on the heavy commuter. Bit wild in the dark though.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:34 pm

Hopefully the house doesn't leave Kansas tonight... 74 with 87 gusts for Ocean Reef at the moment is a high constant speed low difference to the gusts. Willyweather says Rottnest is the nation's windiest live reading with 85kph.
The distance rate of change for the radar loop is impressive.
Lowest wind speed after 5am southerly so some respite for north to south morning mob.
http://wind.willyweather.com.au/wa/perth/perth.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:01 am

It was going through failed traffic lights that was not much fun. I thought in these cases they were treated as give-way in all directions, but some cars didn't even break when they approached the intersection.

Some large branches on the roads/paths, so take care tomorrow, and if you can take the time to remove the bigger ones, karma may be returned by reducing the chance of receiving a flat or broken spoke.

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:21 am

I was making 25 km/h heading down the Roe PSP in the morning, and 45km/h heading back again in the afternoon. Unfortunately, by the afternoon the PSP was littered with leaves and twigs, with the occasional small branch thrown in for good measure, so it was a tad exciting.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.