Perth weather

XIX

Re: Perth weather

Postby XIX » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:32 pm

I bought some gloves from Pedal Mafia on friday and used on Saturday and didnt feel the cold at all. They are a knitted style with bits of metal thread in the tips for touch screens. A little slippery though.

owly

Postby owly » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Mububban wrote:
owly wrote: Full-silk glove liners do make quite a difference in my experience.
Anything specific you can recommend?

Had to source my Roeckl ones from Europe, though I do remember seeing some differing offerings through a couple of Australian outdoor clothing sites.
MUFC :twisted:

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:15 pm

Well, Bunbury to be precise

... but how good was the weekend! I found myself with a day to kill in Funbury whilst BF was attending to work responsibilities, poor fella ... Could not transport my own bike down, so rented a big heavy comfy clunker through the Visitor Centre on a whim and spent the afternoon tooling around aimlessly. As a commuter I've realised lately I've kind of lost that knack for purposeless wandering, gosh it was nice ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

owly

Postby owly » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Pretty nice weather out today. Rode around Whiteman Park again. If there's a track somewhere I'm heading down it! Kept an eye out for snakes, but didn't see any today.

Came back into Bellevue and noodled along the tracks following the water courses to Guildford.

Heading south tomorrow.
Edit: Sun. down to Mandurah again then back along the railway/reserves. Rode along some newer tracks I hadn't been down closer to Cockburn. Great to have the fairly strong southerly when turned around.

I will say, having a super stiff sole on the new shoes is great. Feel fresher at the end, though I do tend to overdo it a bit when I come across a hardcore roadie and can't help myself riding along with them for a stretch.

owly

Postby owly » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:55 pm

A bit humid this arvo. The seabreeze did eventually kick in but it was late.

Went down to Mandurah again and rode back along the tracks. Found some new ones I hadn`t been down before.

Lots of critters out today: a handful of tiger snakes, some kangaroos, bags of bobtails, one emu, one feral cat and a bandicoot. Nice day.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:56 pm

owly wrote:A bit humid this arvo. The seabreeze did eventually kick in but it was late.

Went down to Mandurah again and rode back along the tracks. Found some new ones I hadn`t been down before.

Lots of critters out today: a handful of tiger snakes, some kangaroos, bags of bobtails, one emu, one feral cat and a bandicoot. Nice day.
Mate you tap out a few ks. Had a ride for pie out to Bakers Hill today with the x crew. Weather was just perfect.

billy70

Postby billy70 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:55 am

Perfect weather over the long weekend, Sat and Sun with ideal temperatures and no real wind!

owly

Postby owly » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:07 am

NASHIE wrote:
owly wrote:A bit humid this arvo. The seabreeze did eventually kick in but it was late.

Mate you tap out a few ks. Had a ride for pie out to Bakers Hill today with the x crew. Weather was just perfect.

Haven't popped in there for.....twenty years!
I keep hearing the truckies take all the good ones. True?

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:07 am

owly wrote:
NASHIE wrote:

Haven't popped in there for.....twenty years!
I keep hearing the truckies take all the good ones. True?
Nah plenty of pies etc. Bakers Hill pie shop awaits your return :wink: Best pies in WA. 140K return from Maylands Train station and just follow northern heritage trail.
Trail does disappear for a section (10k short of Bakers Hill) about 1km west of the intersection of Werribee and Hawke ave. So hit the road for the 1k to intersection turn left onto Hawke and then 30-40m turn right back onto rail trail just before Coates road.

owly

Postby owly » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:32 pm

Last few weekends been stringing together a mostly gravel/trail route from just east of Cockburn Gateway to the southern Bungendore Park entrance. Heaps of rabbits about. The valley through Bungendore takes you up to the dam.

The closer I get to the hills the more I've been getting hammered by the maggies. Good having the seabreeze on the return. Great weather this weekend.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:25 pm

All this lovely weather and me being off the bike is killing me! Soon my precious, soon....
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

owly

Postby owly » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:53 am

Nice day for it yesterday. Headed out early south so I could catch the southerly on the return, which picked up quite a bit in the arvo. Felt sad for the riders heading north along the river PSP :(

Learnt my lesson to stay away from the big trees with the maggies (mostly east) so poked around a bit more; working my way south down to Karnup Rd. Went down some new tracks and some nice smooth rolling roads.

Thought I'd put up the recent Instagram account (redjemima), so anyone interested can get an idea of track conditions if you're into 'gravel'/mixed-riding within a day of Perth. Going to start putting up some routes soon also.

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Took the mudguards off the commuter last night. Just wish it was a little less blowy.

owly

Postby owly » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:46 pm

Didn't mind riding in a bit of rain today with the warmer temps. Was planning on coming back tonight but got spooked by frequent lightning strikes south of Mandurah, so headed for home early.

Some wildlife out today: One big goanna, two dugites, a baby kangaroo, a crazy waterbird and two kamikaze maggies.

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:03 pm

We rode to Dawesville on Saturday, 110km all told including the Bibra Lake detours. The tail wind was nice, but as we arrived it was well over 36 degrees and I was starting to feel a bit lightheaded!

Normally I'd avoid going out in the mid 30s, but there was beer promised at the end and it was still relatively cool when I set out at 6am.

owly

Postby owly » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:58 pm

wexford wrote:We rode to Dawesville on Saturday, 110km all told including the Bibra Lake detours. The tail wind was nice, but as we arrived it was well over 36 degrees and I was starting to feel a bit lightheaded!

Normally I'd avoid going out in the mid 30s, but there was beer promised at the end and it was still relatively cool when I set out at 6am.
Nice one. Did the maggies get you along the Bibra Lake detour? Catch the train back?

Will be heading out early tomorrow down to south of Pinjarra, then looping back roughly following the inland train line.

owly

Postby owly » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:11 am

Really nice day out yesterday. 270km. Lots of new gravel roads/tracks. Not a lot of wildlife apart from black cockatoos and falcons. Came across a few really nice camping spots.

Along the way in the foothills there are three small dams which I'm planning on checking out, maybe next week when the temps/winds are suited.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:25 pm

owly wrote:Really nice day out yesterday. 270km. Lots of new gravel roads/tracks. Not a lot of wildlife apart from black cockatoos and falcons. Came across a few really nice camping spots.

Along the way in the foothills there are three small dams which I'm planning on checking out, maybe next week when the temps/winds are suited.
Jeez your clocking up some ks, some great weather ATM for getting out and about. Kicking myself for selling cross bike a few weeks ago, with intention of upgrading for next years season. Finding it really hard to keep motivated with just road training......boring as.

owly

Postby owly » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:41 am

NASHIE wrote:
owly wrote:Really nice day out yesterday. 270km. Lots of new gravel roads/tracks. Not a lot of wildlife apart from black cockatoos and falcons. Came across a few really nice camping spots.

Jeez your clocking up some ks, some great weather ATM for getting out and about. Kicking myself for selling cross bike a few weeks ago, with intention of upgrading for next years season. Finding it really hard to keep motivated with just road training......boring as.

Any idea what bike you'll be getting?

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:35 pm

owly wrote:
Any idea what bike you'll be getting?
Leaning towards a Focus Mares, but Cannondale superX, and a Colnago Prestige are still in the mix. Most cx bikes seem to run sram, which i have never used, so really need to test out the force and Rival group sets. The Giant ran Ultegra which was bullet proof and i like the feel off, but only the Colnago comes with Ultegra, which dosent come with the greatest wheelset.
Anyway need to do a few 60hr weeks, so i get some treat yourself sympathy from the minister of finance :wink: . In the meantime im really missing the gravel riding.

wexford

Postby wexford » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:22 pm

owly wrote:Nice one. Did the maggies get you along the Bibra Lake detour? Catch the train back?
We stayed overnight and my partner (who drove) took me back the next morning - I was a bit sunstroked and couldn't face the return journey!

No maggie attacks thankfully. I did enjoy the detour, been meaning to have a look around that area for a while now on the CX or the 29er :-)

wexford

Postby wexford » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:25 pm

NASHIE wrote: Leaning towards a Focus Mares, but Cannondale superX, and a Colnago Prestige are still in the mix. Most cx bikes seem to run sram, which i have never used, so really need to test out the force and Rival group sets. The Giant ran Ultegra which was bullet proof and i like the feel off, but only the Colnago comes with Ultegra, which dosent come with the greatest wheelset.
Anyway need to do a few 60hr weeks, so i get some treat yourself sympathy from the minister of finance :wink: . In the meantime im really missing the gravel riding.
I've got a Scott Addict which runs 105s, something I first sneered at with the intention of upgrading but a year later I'm actually quite happy with it! It's been great for racing and also makes for a reasonably capable road bike - I did the Beverley Heroic on it, thinking there'd be more gravel than what there wound up being...

owly

Postby owly » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:51 am

wexford wrote:
owly wrote:Nice one. Did the maggies get you along the Bibra Lake detour? Catch the train back?
...been meaning to have a look around that area for a while now on the CX or the 29er :-)

There's a bunch of tracks/trails which you can take the CX/29er on, starting from behind the ice rink, that (crossing a couple of roads) take you down to Thomsons Lake. i.e. from South Lake > Little Rush Lake > Yangebub Lake > Kogolup Lake > Thomsons.

A couple of the entrances are a bit tricky to find (small entry gate through the border fences), but well worth the ride.

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:21 pm

owly wrote:There's a bunch of tracks/trails which you can take the CX/29er on, starting from behind the ice rink, that (crossing a couple of roads) take you down to Thomsons Lake. i.e. from South Lake > Little Rush Lake > Yangebub Lake > Kogolup Lake > Thomsons.

A couple of the entrances are a bit tricky to find (small entry gate through the border fences), but well worth the ride.
Awesome, looks like my Sunday ride is all planned then :D

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:09 am

Back to summer and howling easterlies on the morning group ride. Headwinds or cross winds were making life hard, but at least we had a nice sail back for part of the return trip, before it turned back into a cross wind!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!