Perth weather

alh9a5
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Re: Perth weather

Postby alh9a5 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:55 am

Two punctures is fairly unlucky and especially bad at this time of the year. I find it a real struggle with the non-complaint fingers in the cold weather

User avatar
Cycleops70
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Perth weather

Postby Cycleops70 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:20 pm

Well, I got completely drowned this morning.
When the sun eventually came out it produced a rainbow that landed at the very end of the road I was on.
Felt like I was in the wizard of oz or something.

novice_101
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:53 am

Re: Perth weather

Postby novice_101 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:12 am

Cycleops70 wrote:Well, I got completely drowned this morning.
When the sun eventually came out it produced a rainbow that landed at the very end of the road I was on.
Felt like I was in the wizard of oz or something.


I also got a complete drenching :)

It was a tough ride, but very enjoyable....once you're wet, you're wet so makes it easier to keep going I think! Having said that, it got ridiculously heavy as I was about 15km from Bullsbrook heading up Great northern Hwy, so I decided that was far enough for one day. Reduced visibility for drivers worried me somewhat too. What do most people do about the rain, do you guys use a second bike to save your good one etc? I unfortunately can't afford a second one, and I've no room to store it, so have to take my nice shiny bike out and get it all grimed up. Any tips on cleaning afterward? I usually give it a hose down to knock any loose dirt off, then wipe it down with a cloth and getting it as dry as I can (including the chain). Then, I lube the chain up again.

User avatar
Cycleops70
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Perth weather

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:49 am

novice_101 wrote:
I also got a complete drenching :)

It was a tough ride, but very enjoyable....once you're wet, you're wet so makes it easier to keep going I think! Having said that, it got ridiculously heavy as I was about 15km from Bullsbrook heading up Great northern Hwy, so I decided that was far enough for one day. Reduced visibility for drivers worried me somewhat too. What do most people do about the rain, do you guys use a second bike to save your good one etc? I unfortunately can't afford a second one, and I've no room to store it, so have to take my nice shiny bike out and get it all grimed up. Any tips on cleaning afterward? I usually give it a hose down to knock any loose dirt off, then wipe it down with a cloth and getting it as dry as I can (including the chain). Then, I lube the chain up again.


We might have got drenched by the same shower, I was on Old Yanchep road at the time.

I use a different bike if I know it's going to be wet. It's a cyclocross bike with full length mudguards (looks dorky but works very well) & rear rack, that I use for everyday stuff & transport. Fatter tyres & a bit heavy, but ideal if the weather's a bit iffy.

I hose the bike off when I get back to get the grit off. Other than that, just degrease & lube regularly. And keep an eye on chain wear.

novice_101
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:53 am

Re: Perth weather

Postby novice_101 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:54 am

Cycleops70 wrote:
We might have got drenched by the same shower, I was on Old Yanchep road at the time.



To be fair, I got drenched by many the shower yesterday :lol:

Cheers, I'll have to pop into the cycle shop for more gas cannisters too, got a puncture right at the end of my ride, luckily the rain had stopped at that stage so didn't have to change it in the wet!

wexford
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Perth weather

Postby wexford » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Yesterday was brilliant fun. I raced round 3 of the Numbat Cup CX at Guildford at 1pm, and rode there from Subi (20km) as a warm up along the Midland PSP. Around 12pm the big shower came through, it was mental!

On the recce lap the course was mostly fine. My race (C and C Masters) was first after the kids' short course, and by the third lap we'd pretty much destroyed it. This was exacerbated by another shower, so in parts we were riding through axle-deep puddles of mud and sections that resembled WW1 No Man's Land more than Guildford Grammar's footy oval. All you could hear was the horrible grinding and scraping of everyone's moving parts.

The WA Cyclocross FB group (with many photos of the event) is here if anyone is curious: https://www.facebook.com/groups/562255490470022/?ref=group_header. This was my first ever CX race, really looking forward to the next one!

I rode home after the event and gave the bike a careful wash down and lube. It seems to be ok, which was a relief considering I needed a new BB and brake pads after the Dwellingup 100 a few years back :)

owly
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:11 am
Location: Inglewood

Re: Perth weather

Postby owly » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:26 pm

Like a couple of others I got smashed yesterday, but riding around the river and on. Headed out at 9am; back around 2pm. Knew I was going to get wet, so I tried out the wet weather gear. Need to try some Velotoze just to see how sweaty they get at cool temps.

Coming back along the river, got hit by the sidewinds and wave spray; leaning over a bit!

Good times!
MUFC :twisted:

novice_101
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:53 am

Re: Perth weather

Postby novice_101 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:09 pm

owly wrote:Like a couple of others I got smashed yesterday, but riding around the river and on. Headed out at 9am; back around 2pm. Knew I was going to get wet, so I tried out the wet weather gear. Need to try some Velotoze just to see how sweaty they get at cool temps.

Coming back along the river, got hit by the sidewinds and wave spray; leaning over a bit!

Good times!


Riverside Drive and Mounts Bay Rd are my regular commuting routes for work, so I know all about the wave spray and winds you get hit with along there! Some mornings are a real workout, I've made it to work with my lungs burning a few times. Hard to be aerodynamic with a bag on your back :)

I'll take the rain over the wind to be honest!

User avatar
Cycleops70
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Perth weather

Postby Cycleops70 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:08 pm

novice_101 wrote:I'll take the rain over the wind to be honest!


Oath! :wink:

eldavo
Posts: 1587
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Perth weather

Postby eldavo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:11 am

I wondered for half the ride tonight what to post. There was no escaping getting soaked. I took off my rain jacket once relatively warmed up after 5-10min to at least get soaked by fresh rain rather than jacket sweat for most of the remaining 90min. My GPS track was saved as "Soaked. But fun." Aquaplaned once in a bend into a puddle when I couldn't see it and failed to preempt it, served as a reminder to pay closer attention. I think I saw more ducks than cyclists, that was apt. I mostly was troubled by the urge to urinate due to all the water about, thinking the wetsuit warmer style might be comforting for a moment, but pretty sure it would stain the Brooks saddle. I've got a great winter bike, it's nice to make use of it. In 2013 I had a winter bike, that only got a couple outings, since we barely had any big rain periods that couldn't be missed in between fronts with some timing. Tree branch nearly down across PSP between Gribble and Reid Hwy underpass, the other thing I came here to post.

User avatar
rolandp
Posts: 2153
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Hillarys - Perth, WA

Re: Perth weather

Postby rolandp » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:29 am

I managed to miss the showers both ways today. Got the wind and stopped to pick up several branches. The really large ones, I'll leave for the cleanup crews.

Mububban
Posts: 934
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Perth weather

Postby Mububban » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:01 am

Brrr

Image
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

as7431
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 10:29 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Perth weather

Postby as7431 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:01 pm

But zero wind :D

User avatar
Cycleops70
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 am
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Perth weather

Postby Cycleops70 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:40 pm

My Garmin registered -1C this morning.
That's a first.

Ant_S
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:49 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Perth weather

Postby Ant_S » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:00 pm

Nice & fresh lately... I seem to have sorted my layers so I'm pretty comfy though. Tuesday was interesting with the wet roads, fog & cold temps combined.
Then on my ride home mid-arvo (early finish) I copped a decent headwind the whole way :P

Still got my Giant Contend Disc on lay-by til next month...could've done with it lately!

User avatar
jaseyjase
Posts: 2745
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Perth weather

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:46 am

Nice change this week compared to the last few!

User avatar
roller
Posts: 1858
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:17 pm
Location: embleton

Re: Perth weather

Postby roller » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:38 pm

yes, more days like today and yesterday please.
inflammatory statement or idea

wexford
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Perth weather

Postby wexford » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:18 pm

Today was outstanding. I rode with the LifeCycle group from Northam to Mundaring (then home to Subi, 110km total), with it starting just a little chilly in the 9am wind at Northam and the warmer side of perfect by mid afternoon.

The tail wind pushing me all the way home was a blessing!

User avatar
rolandp
Posts: 2153
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Hillarys - Perth, WA

Re: Perth weather

Postby rolandp » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:38 pm

wexford wrote:Today was outstanding. I rode with the LifeCycle group from Northam to Mundaring (then home to Subi, 110km total), with it starting just a little chilly in the 9am wind at Northam and the warmer side of perfect by mid afternoon.

The tail wind pushing me all the way home was a blessing!

We did too, we where the ones on the tandems. Though, we stopped at Mundaring.

User avatar
RobertFrith
Posts: 1746
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Perth weather

Postby RobertFrith » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:22 pm

I took a spin down to North Mole this evening, never seen it so pretty..

Image
Image

billy70
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Perth

Re: Perth weather

Postby billy70 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:35 am

wexford wrote:Today was outstanding. I rode with the LifeCycle group from Northam to Mundaring (then home to Subi, 110km total), with it starting just a little chilly in the 9am wind at Northam and the warmer side of perfect by mid afternoon.

The tail wind pushing me all the way home was a blessing!


Top ride in great conditions, it would have been awesome to have that wind on your back all the way.
Image

Mububban
Posts: 934
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Perth weather

Postby Mububban » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:04 am

RobertFrith wrote:I took a spin down to North Mole this evening, never seen it so pretty..

Image



That's a beautiful photo.


It was nice starting my Saturday group ride not in total darkness :) Not being 3 degrees is also nice!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

User avatar
roller
Posts: 1858
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:17 pm
Location: embleton

Re: Perth weather

Postby roller » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:01 am

RobertFrith wrote:I took a spin down to North Mole this evening, never seen it so pretty..

Image


magnificent shot that..
inflammatory statement or idea

wexford
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Perth weather

Postby wexford » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:45 am

rolandp wrote:We did too, we where the ones on the tandems. Though, we stopped at Mundaring.


Oh wow! I'll say hi next time :) . I was in group 1 with Sandy, who'd told one of my mates about the ride and he brought several of us along. We had a beer at Mundaring before the last ~40km. It helped with the pain :wink:

How did you go on the slippier gravel bits?

Mububban
Posts: 934
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Perth weather

Postby Mububban » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:55 pm

I woke up tired and forecast said showers so I drove instead. Should've ridden! Not a drop of rain all day so far...
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Return to “Western Australia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot]