Perth weather

Re: Perth weather

Postby Marmoset » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:45 am

Some poor guy hit a tree that was down on the kwinana PSP, was about head height he got it. I think the maintenance guys were already out to deal with it as they were there before the ambulance, so he must have been out when it was completely dark and not had chance to see it.

I hope he's alright, Colin was there assisting as well, wasn't nice passing that this morning.
Marmoset

by BNA » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:58 am

BNA

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:58 am

eldavo wrote:Wow its a wild night... Got home safe with some serious wandering from cross winds, 10kph speed drop into wind on riverside drive. Oncoming riders heading to Vic park were flying though, one lady on a town bike freewheeling at 35kph it looked like :)

I rode with those cross winds too. Very gusty, very dodgy. Made it home safe but quite wet.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby ikm » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:05 pm

Riding along the coast was interesting, no real shelter from the wind coming off the ocean. And then the hail hit. Ouch.

As a kid I always wanted to go and play out in the rain and storms, seems nothing has changed, but it was getting a little silly with some of those gusts.

ikm

Postby elStado » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Last night was gnarly. I rode home south along the Kwinana PSP at around 6:30. Only saw 2 other brave souls out there. Incredibly gusty side winds took every ounce of my concentration to be able to ride straight and not get blown into the fence or wall. It didn't help having a pannier bag either as it was taking catching even more wind resistance. Bike was covered in salt water from the waves when I got home and had to wash it with fresh water to try and avoid it rusting to pieces in the future (one downside of a steel frame). Definitely a fun ride home, had a blast.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
elStado

Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:41 pm

Marmoset wrote:Some poor guy hit a tree that was down on the kwinana PSP, was about head height he got it. I think the maintenance guys were already out to deal with it as they were there before the ambulance, so he must have been out when it was completely dark and not had chance to see it.

I hope he's alright, Colin was there assisting as well, wasn't nice passing that this morning.

Yes, it was quite dark at the time.

The tree was presumably down for a time as a thoughtful earlier rider had taken the trouble to find an old while plastic paint-tub lid and wedged it atop. I had come across the spot about five to ten minutes beforehand ,it was still very dull, all grey in the dark and I didn't even notice it myself until I was very close. A pair of riders going through, as I was snapping off some of the thick dry branches that were pointing down from the main limb, came close to grief includingn one who managed to clip his helmet on it as he ducked under. It was obvuiously a disaster waiting to happen.

I skipped the little fence there and hopped on the little parallel walking path hoping to find some visible rubbish in the bins but found nothing and returned. In that five minutes the rider you mention had come to grief.

Like me, most riders at that time would have had 95% of their attention on the path avoiding what the storm had depsoited there and easily not noticed the branch until they were tright on it, even at modest speed.

A couple of riders attended to the bloke, a couple warned riders on the approaches and I managed to find some doggie-doo bags to tie on the tree. The council maintenance people arrived pretty quickly and put up warning boards and helped with first aid until the ambo's arrived.

The rider appeared concussed. I hope he hasn't damaged an eye as he looked fairly raw and cut-up around his left eye/cheek. Overall nasty and the accident almost a certainty to happen in the circumstance. At it's highest point the branch was about neck high.

Riders would do well to slow down over the next couple of days until storms are settled and the mess cleaned up. I snapped off several dry sharp branches that were hangling a little lower onto the sides and took three manageable branches off paths on the way in but also left a couple. But there are plenty more still out there.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Good work Colin. I hope the guy is ok.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:51 pm

It was almost unrideable along the Causeway to Canning Bridge section of Canning Highway last night. I got sandblasted as I passed a construction site and had to remove one branch that was completely across the path. I was VERY conscuiouso f the traffic on my left and kept as far to the right of the path as I could. I was wearing the pancho which is a perfect sail for an unfriendly wind gust to grab.

I piked out and took the train once I got to Canning Bridge.
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Lizzy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:07 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Good work Colin. I hope the guy is ok.

+1, I know someone who broke their neck in similar fashion a year or two back (they recovered fully but something you can definitely do without).

Careful out there boys and girls.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:16 am

Article in this mornings paper on storm damage generally and the rider down in Como specifically. Not surprisingly the man, 39 years old, is not in a good condition.
The man was stable in the State major trauma unit at Royal Perth Hospital

The pic is a little misleading regarding light. Twenty minutes earlier when the accient occured it was dark and murky and definitely headlight conditions.

On the way in this morning everything along my route seems to have been cleaned up. Kudos to those who attend to these things.
ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:20 pm

Details at hand on the cyclist injured by the fallen tree in Como.

I was flagged downt his morning by Christian who was accompanying the victm, Steve.

Steve has been discharged. He suffered some lacerations aroudn teh eye but was fortunate that it it missed.

He had other lacerations including one near the carotid artery - it could have been so much worse.

The bike is probably not a write off. While the seat post was broken, it is not CF so the collar of the doseat tube sould be ok.

Apparently at least one other rider presented to emergency from a separate incident from the same tree. I also have reason to beleive that another rider came unstuck and took out some of the wire fencng there.

Great news that Steve is on the mend.
ColinOldnCranky

Postby eldavo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Lucky guy! Just found which one that cartoid artery is, the pulse measurement, eek!
PS: how impressive is the built in carbon fibre frame cable routing of that vertebral artery!
eldavo

Postby Marmoset » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:06 pm

That is good news, glad to hear that it's not as bad as it looked on the morning.
Marmoset

Postby Marty Moose » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:28 pm

The above post sounds like the rider was very luck :) :) -0.9 was as low as it got this morning CHILLY
Marty Moose

Postby ramp » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Riding the Kwinana PSP in surf was a wild experience. Quick wash of the bike that night and pull down and clean today. A really big ups to the council/Main Roads or whoever it was that cleaned the path the next day. Better than before the storm
ramp

Postby MarkG » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Cold at 7 today
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
MarkG

Postby Rex » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:29 pm

Yep, hit the road at 0.8C with apparant -2.5C
Sun came out and it was glorious around the river but
Rex

Postby Marty Moose » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Rex wrote:Yep, hit the road at 0.8C with apparant -2.5C
I thought minus 0.9 was bad ouch to that.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
Marty Moose

Postby Rex » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:54 pm

Marty Moose wrote:
Rex wrote:Yep, hit the road at 0.8C with apparant -2.5C
I thought minus 0.9 was bad ouch to that.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Nothing extra layers doesn't fix. Also feel less insane when you're riding with 30+ others :)
Rex

Postby hangry » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:47 am

leaving at 7ish from bayswater, temperature was 8 degrees and now that im back home, its still the same.
cant wait for the warmer weather to come
Cannondale Synapse 105
hangry

Postby MarkG » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:44 am

It was about 2.5 when I left home today from Cockburn to Rockingham.
Nothing better than stepping in to a heated office then!
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
MarkG

Postby redned » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:40 pm

Just looked at the radar and it is pretty ordinary. Forecast of 100% chance of rain.

I might be in the train!
redned

Postby eldavo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:45 pm

Am hoping it blows southern off coast enough to get home northbound.
Strong headwind though :(
eldavo

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Strong headwind all the way home- no PRs today- thankfully as I was putting out the rubbish 2minutes after getting home was when the rain started :D
CXCommuter

Postby jlh » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:27 pm

Colin kudos to you today, drove past you on the PSP while I was going to work up the free way about 0630. Pretty wild.
jlh

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:17 pm

jasonlheath wrote:Colin kudos to you today, drove past you on the PSP while I was going to work up the free way about 0630. Pretty wild.

6:30? It would have been about a third ofthe way from Canning Bridge to The Narrows then. It got wilder still north of the Pagoda.

Kudos to any rider on that stretch this morning. I counted (for the hell of it) only 29 between my start in Bateman until I hopped of at Sasssys on The Swan near the Bell Tower. You should be ashamed not to have made it 30! :wink:
ColinOldnCranky

PreviousNext

Return to Western Australia