http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFil ... keRegs.pdf
Recent amendments to the Road Traffic Code and the Road Traffic Regulations have been enacted and were published in the Government Gazette on 30 August 2011.
The amendments are:
1. Adults are now permitted to ride a compliant power assisted pedal cycle (PAPC) on shared paths with the power engaged. To be compliant power assisted pedal cycles must have a maximum power output of 200 watts which restricts maximum speed capacity to approximately 25 km/hour. PAPCâ€™s are frequently used by older people and those with health issues who have limited mobility and are not capable of riding a standard bicycle.
There has been no change to the rule that prohibits people under 16 years of age riding a PAPC with the motor engaged.
2. Child carrier seats can now be attached in front of bicycle handlebars provided that the rider has an uninterrupted view to the front of the bicycle. Child carrier seats that can be located forward of the handlebars are currently available for sale in WA.
3. If a bicycle is being ridden at night or in condition of reduced visibility, it must be equipped with a front light that is either a flashing or steady white light that is clearly visible for at least 200 metres in front of a vehicle. There is no change in the regulations for rear bicycle lights and reflectors.
4. The requirement that rear mudguards must be either white or silver has been removed from the regulations.
5. The minimum width for handlebars has been reduced from 200mm to 180mm.