Kwinana PSP upgrade works

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Kwinana PSP upgrade works

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:51 pm

wellington_street wrote:^ I believe this will be done under WABN funding.
Yes, it was in the short list of priority works so I was expecting the same too.

However, now that the great concrete barriers are in place I think it is less likely than it was before. Perhaps the planners lost their copy!

I had a quick squiz to the east of the walls running parallel to the two roads and it will not be as easy as before. A quick and dirty solution would be to clear a few trees, do a fair bit of realignment and fill in some gaps in the wall.

Or alternately resite some of the nice new walls closer to the roads, less realignment and lesser work on trees.

I hope I am right but I am guessing that now they have put those big walls in place, they are less likely to do the proper job.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:55 am

I particularly enjoyed the four wheel drive track at the Leach Hwy lights yesterday - there's only been room for one rider at the crossing for a couple of days, but the three foot drop and climb with the limestone breaking up made it a lot more fun.......
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

JBark

Postby JBark » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:16 pm

chuckchunder wrote:I particularly enjoyed the four wheel drive track at the Leach Hwy lights yesterday - there's only been room for one rider at the crossing for a couple of days, but the three foot drop and climb with the limestone breaking up made it a lot more fun.......
Haha, yeah, I made a comment about that a while back, wondering how well it would hold up after some rain. The answer, as expected, is not so well. :) I was pretty glad I'm riding on some 28c tyres, cause that was some seriously loose and soft sand.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Yeah, a morning or two after that limestone went down I came through heading south at the same time as two fair-sized bunches. Picture if you will, 20+ bikes clipping, wobbling, slipping and sliding all over that at once, with a solitary pedestrian coming the other way with this face on: :shock:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Lizzy wrote:Yeah, a morning or two after that limestone went down I came through heading south at the same time as two fair-sized bunches. Picture if you will, 20+ bikes clipping, wobbling, slipping and sliding all over that at once, with a solitary pedestrian coming the other way with this face on: :shock:
:lol: :lol: love your work Lizzy! :D
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:48 pm

the river wall works at the Mill Point Road flyover have, apparently, been completed.

The barriers at each end this morning have been removed (not just opened up) and the sealing at the base and fresh rock bufer is there for all to see.

I don't imagine, however, that the repairs to the paving will be done any time soon. Most of those arose in all proability from continual subsidence that should now not be an issue.

Anyway, the detours thru South Perth are now a thing of the past. Thankfully I have not heard of any serious (ie injury/accident) issues over the period.

JBark

Postby JBark » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:05 pm

Path under Parry was paved when I rode home this afternoon. Hard to tell, but it looks like the entire section is done. Not open yet, but looks like it just needs some lines and it is ready to go.

magix66

Postby magix66 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:49 pm

as per latest newsletter...

The new PSP at South Street will be opened up in late December/early January, and will pass underneath the new realigned exit ramp.
The footpath closure on the north-eastern side of South Street will remain in place until late January, following the discovery of unknown electrical services which have
required relocation by Western Power. This has resulted in unavoidable delays to noisewall construction in this area.
The closure of the PSP underneath Leach Highway will remain in place until early February 2013 due to numerous
design issues at this location. The latest issues require parts of the retaining wall to be demolished prior to the
completion of the car park access road and re-opening of the PSP.
The PSP under Parry Avenue will be opened in late December.

http://www.kwinanafreeway.com.au/wp-con ... Update.pdf

PS

got a little lost in the burbs on the weekend, some signs blown over

JBark

Postby JBark » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:41 am

Nice early Christmas present, Parry Ave underpass was opened back up this afternoon! Much safer than it was before, though watch out just to the south, when you hit the old section of path. Definitely a bit rough through there after 1+ year of heavy equipment driving over it. I'm guessing that section will get repaved as part of the realignment between South St. and Parry in the next year or two, so not worth redoing now just to tear it up later.

Man, it will be nice not having to worry about the morons who used to cut that blind corner all the time.

jlh

Postby jlh » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:25 am

Does anyone know when they are planning to smooth and resurface the Kwinny PSP from narrows to the start of the red asphalt path about 2/3 the way down to the raffles? Getting very bumpy in a number of places, especially where the recent river wall works were carried out.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:17 pm

jasonlheath wrote:Does anyone know when they are planning to smooth and resurface the Kwinny PSP from narrows to the start of the red asphalt path about 2/3 the way down to the raffles? Getting very bumpy in a number of places, especially where the recent river wall works were carried out.
In the past it may have been listed a few times but loses the funding drops out if there is no start by end of the finanical year it goes back to the end of the list.

Funding for RSPs has, I gather, been dropping back for a few years (though all of a sudden the government seems to have discovered a desire to make this stuff an election issue).

I don't imagine that there is anything hard and fast though I expect that Roland will have some idea of that.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:53 pm

It looks like the original bit along the Kwinana PSP under South St has been re-opened this arvo, the gates at both ends north and south of South St were opened. Probably very necessary as they've also opened up that "construction site" road that was part of our detour, this now leads into the train station's original south-west carpark so there'll be a lot of vehicular traffic up the rise to that roundabout and those traffic lights. Plus a bit of construction to happen north of South St. I don't care if we now have the Murdoch path back. We just need the Leach Hwy/Bull Creek station bit fixed now, thanks.

ovie68

Postby ovie68 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 am

With the South Street Underpass now open does anyone know the best way for me to get from South Street onto the PSP to travel South? I leave my bike in the bike sheds in the East carpark of Murdoch Station. I was planning on continuing to go through the new road near the hospital but as was just mentioned it is likely to be quite busy now.
Last edited by ovie68 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:57 am

So when I went past on Sat it wasn't open in the morning and I then went the "normally" detour and had to turn around and then spotted the signs to go thru the close streets.
Now just need Leach HWY one to open back up
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:46 pm

The PSP around South Street/Murdoch station is now open. It is great to see they spent millions of dollars or the great freeway upgrade, providing smooth wide lanes and sweeping corners for freeway users.

They must not have had a lot of money left for the PSP, because what we have got is is a a bumpy surface with unfinished edges, a blind corner at the Murdoch station entry point, fencing with unfilled post holes and debris, including glass, from where they haven't been bothered to sweep the path before re-opening. Nice work.

I look forward to the Leach Highway path being completed - sometime in 2015 at the rate thay are going !

Rusty

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:53 am

That widening of the freeway exit at Leach Hwy had recently resulted in the ramp from the PSP where you cross the exit being torn up and replaced with something temporary, first dirt then various challenging bitumen humps. This morning they finished the new ramp in concrete, the final product and they won't revisit that site. Expect that it'll be opened late this morning after the concrete dries, you might in the meantime (the early morning commute) find that area still roped off and traffic marshals about the place detouring you. Only for the morning.

However we still wait on the PSP to be restored past Bullcreek station and this whole detour to be finished with. Much waiting already.

JBark

Postby JBark » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:46 pm

Rusty6149 wrote:I look forward to the Leach Highway path being completed - sometime in 2015 at the rate thay are going !
Email I got yesterday says "late March/early April", but they've missed so many deadlines on reopening that section that I'm not even sure why they bother releasing new dates anymore.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:25 pm

JBark wrote:
Rusty6149 wrote:I look forward to the Leach Highway path being completed - sometime in 2015 at the rate thay are going !
Email I got yesterday says "late March/early April", but they've missed so many deadlines on reopening that section that I'm not even sure why they bother releasing new dates anymore.
The original signposting warning of closure indicated Oct2011 to Nov 2011 (or was it Nov-Dec?). ie SOmewhere between 5 and 9 weeks.

Something must have been awry there.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:26 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:That widening of the freeway exit at Leach Hwy had recently resulted in the ramp from the PSP where you cross the exit being torn up and replaced with something temporary, first dirt then various challenging bitumen humps. This morning they finished the new ramp in concrete, the final product and they won't revisit that site. Expect that it'll be opened late this morning after the concrete dries, you might in the meantime (the early morning commute) find that area still roped off and traffic marshals about the place detouring you. Only for the morning.

However we still wait on the PSP to be restored past Bullcreek station and this whole detour to be finished with. Much waiting already.
By the width of it, the part passing the Bull Creek stations and under Leach Highway looks like including both a road and a path. At least I HOPE they are including the path. :shock:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Being a passenger going up Kwinana Fwy yesterday what I think remains to be done from the Freeway side is finishing off that Limestone wall they are building. Could still see the path there where it was.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:33 pm

They'v just re-opened the bits of path leading off the northwest side of South St onto the Kwinana PSP. In other words you can again enter the PSP from South St where the traffic lights are instead of going through backstreets or using the elevator off the Murdoch train station.

Just be aware that works for Murdoch Drive widening are impacting on South St in the vicinity of the hospital still. Currently the dividing strip has been bulldozed out and the crossing at Urbahns St midway on South St between the freeway and Murdoch lights, that's in detour mode.

Dobo

Postby Dobo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:36 pm

does anyone know when the section under leach highway will be opened?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:56 pm

Unfortunately we now have a separate thread of late - hop over to viewtopic.php?f=18&t=62542 for latest.

Latest on that thread is as follows:
Week commencing Monday 8 April:
• Asphalt access road
• Construct PSP
Week commencing Monday 15 April:
• Asphalt PSP
• Reinstate lighting
• General tidy up
Week commencing Monday 22 April:
• Reopening of access road/PSP
but keep an eye on the other thread for updates (which, hopefully, will be unnecessary).

Dobo

Postby Dobo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks Colin. that is good news I can't wait to be to get a straight run through.
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012

dampier

Postby dampier » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:56 pm

I noticed that there were a few white marker flags with blue spray paint near the psp, a couple of hundred metres north of Mt Henry bridge. Could this be part of the widening and straightening of the path?