Kwinana PSP upgrade works

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:24 pm

I have communicated with the Community Relations Officer for the Kwinana Fweeway Widening & Upgrade Project. She was able to provide information about the works on the PSP in the vicinity of Parry Ave, which I have copied below:

The project team has sent me the attached attached preliminary design drawing for the area. I’m not sure if this will be any help, since it is very technical, but basically we will be:

1. Raising the height of the PSP under the bridge (so the ramps down under the bridge won’t be as steep as they currently are).

2. Increasing the sight line (visibility) for the approaches under the bridge. (Effectively the “turn in” under the bridge won’t be as abrupt, it will be more gradual so you can see oncoming cyclists.)

3. Improved handrail due to the closer proximity of the widened lanes on the motorway.

4. We also need to close off the PSP to allow the new Amcom and ITS conduits and cables to be installed in this area.

The changes will be relatively minor.
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Kwinana PSP upgrade works

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:02 pm

There is stuff happening now around the Parry Avenue section of the PSP. But it seems to me all about laying cables for telecommunications.

I hope that the works are also involving addressing the danger of the underpass at Parry. Is fixing the underpass actually going to be done at this time or has we we just been assuming it is?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Prestige

Postby Prestige » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:07 pm

I'd suggest point 2 of Stealthbikes' post covers the underpass....
stealthbike wrote:2. Increasing the sight line (visibility) for the approaches under the bridge. (Effectively the “turn in” under the bridge won’t be as abrupt, it will be more gradual so you can see oncoming cyclists.)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Prestige wrote:I'd suggest point 2 of Stealthbikes' post covers the underpass....
stealthbike wrote:2. Increasing the sight line (visibility) for the approaches under the bridge. (Effectively the “turn in” under the bridge won’t be as abrupt, it will be more gradual so you can see oncoming cyclists.)
Yep, found him. Looks like this
stealthbike wrote:4. We also need to close off the PSP to allow the new Amcom and ITS conduits and cables to be installed in this area.
is the bit being attended to at the moment

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Brad nearly got cleaned up by a douche with no helmet on that corner today.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Prestige

Postby Prestige » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:53 pm

There is an annoying patch of loose sand that is usually on the city side of the underpass, and i find a lot of people southbound are therefore starting their entry towards the middle of the path because of it. I have logged it with Main Roads awhile ago, but it comes back or gets worse every time we have a bit of storm weather.
Hopefully the reduction in entry angle will either eliminate this issue, or at least give people a bit more visibility on other riders path position.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:17 am

They have wholly stripped the vegetation north of Parry Street all the way to the freeway. It seems that the PSP works are all mixed in with the addition of an extra freeway lane. I can see the whole PSP moving east giving the required line-of-sight. But, for those riders that struggle up the slopes there (I can't believe how many there are that I can keep up with ) it should mean that the slopes there will largely disappear.

Prestige

Postby Prestige » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:16 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:But, for those riders that struggle up the slopes there (I can't believe how many there are that I can keep up with ) it should mean that the slopes there will largely disappear.
I hope they dont flatten these out. I enjoy that section, even if it does make me blow like an old windbag when the legs are shot.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:55 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:They have wholly stripped the vegetation north of Parry Street all the way to the freeway. It seems that the PSP works are all mixed in with the addition of an extra freeway lane. I can see the whole PSP moving east giving the required line-of-sight. But, for those riders that struggle up the slopes there (I can't believe how many there are that I can keep up with ) it should mean that the slopes there will largely disappear.
I know what you mean, any sort of slope around there is pretty rare and the underpass ramps are "hill training"! But I think it will be worth it - that underpass is a permanent accident waiting to happen.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:20 pm

scirocco wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:They have wholly stripped the vegetation north of Parry Street all the way to the freeway. It seems that the PSP works are all mixed in with the addition of an extra freeway lane. I can see the whole PSP moving east giving the required line-of-sight. But, for those riders that struggle up the slopes there (I can't believe how many there are that I can keep up with ) it should mean that the slopes there will largely disappear.
I know what you mean, any sort of slope around there is pretty rare and the underpass ramps are "hill training"! But I think it will be worth it - that underpass is a permanent accident waiting to happen.
HAS happened - I passed a fallen rider earlier this year who was out to it and the ambos there with a heap of cyclists directing and slowing traffic. I imagine it was not the first time. It has been listed as dangerous on the infrastructure thread for quite some time.

damonik

Postby damonik » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:54 pm

Looks like the detour is in - I particularly like the detour straight into a nice maze of upside down U bar things and then a narrow goats track footpath.

Awesome work...
Specialized S-Works Roubaix (With electronic Ultegra, oooo the boogey man)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 pm

damonik wrote:Looks like the detour is in - I particularly like the detour straight into a nice maze of upside down U bar things and then a narrow goats track footpath.

Awesome work...
Getting between the barrier and the plastic pipe jutting out of the ground, I'd say that goat is in serious need of a feed.

They could have done us a favour by continuing the detour down to where Breen Place intersects and then putting the temporary entry on the sharp dogleg in Breen Place. As an added bonus the entry could then also have been curved into the existing PSP instead of the right angle we now have. Indeed, that is what I had assumed would be the case simply because it was so obviously the better choice.

Oh well, at least for a short distance I can ride in company - no one can pass on the skinny path, nor go at speed.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Guess the other option is to worm all the way through to the other access point at Noalimba Cres and cross Leach at the lights. Not minding the detour too much southbound, leaving aside the little obstacle course it softens the uphill a little bit for me.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:39 pm

I spoke with some workmen at the north end of the detour this morning. I commented about the detour being pretty tricky. I don't think they understood the question because the response was " when we are finished, you will be able to ride through here at 20 kilometers per hour!" :D
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

bodyboarding_bum

Postby bodyboarding_bum » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:46 pm

I passed through here today on my commute to work, agree that the detour is pretty dangerous and narrow!
The construction workers did warn me as I approached though, by saying 'Be careful mate'. Obviously they've had a few complaints already.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-32.060069,115.794467

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:38 pm

They have now taken the rail and the vertical plastic pipe off the path just near where it turns to the PSP. A big improvement but it is still pretty dastardly. Worth considering walking the twenty metres, though on cleats that can still suck.

bodyboarding_bum

Postby bodyboarding_bum » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Noticed that on the way home tonight too. Almost bowled over by another cyclist who was being ignorant through there though.

People be careful.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Well thanks to the 2 detours now. I'm riding along Murdoch Drv and turning into Parry Ave, now going to try continuing along Parry Ave to Bullcreek Drv, get onto the path adjacent to Leach Hwy and head for Pulo Rd which becomes The Esplanade.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:24 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Well thanks to the 2 detours now. I'm riding along Murdoch Drv and turning into Parry Ave, now going to try continuing along Parry Ave to Bullcreek Drv, get onto the path adjacent to Leach Hwy and head for Pulo Rd which becomes The Esplanade.
Rather than run the gauntlet with all the crossings at Leech Hellway around the trainstation at Bullcreek, take the underpass under the h'way and cut across to Pulo/The Esplanade at either Cranford or where the path emerges at the Mt Henry bridge?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

bodyboarding_bum

Postby bodyboarding_bum » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:28 pm

They've now widened the section in question after removing the 'U' bars. Still quite narrow now, but better than it was!

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:18 pm

I received an update on Kwinana Fwy widening works today.
The relevant sections for cyclists were:
1. Detour around Parry Ave until mid-November.
2. Shared path under Leach Hwy to be temporarily closed, detours in place mid-November.

I'm unclear where the path goes under Leach Hwy - perhaps they mean the underpass near Leach Hwy at the Bull Creek train station?

Aphexchefpusher

Postby Aphexchefpusher » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:55 am

Just a quick heads up, looks like the surveyor elves have been planting more funky coloured cocktail sticks in the sand around the Parry Ave underpass and you can now see the planned route of the refurbed Psp. The angle of "attack" has deffo been reduced........will be interesting to see the finished result........
SCOTT CR1 TEAM 2011
GIANT DEFY ADVANCED 2012
GIANT TCR ADVANCED SL 1 2013
TREK 5700 MTB 2006

abas

Postby abas » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:37 am

stealthbike wrote:I received an update on Kwinana Fwy widening works today.
The relevant sections for cyclists were:
1. Detour around Parry Ave until mid-November.
2. Shared path under Leach Hwy to be temporarily closed, detours in place mid-November.

I'm unclear where the path goes under Leach Hwy - perhaps they mean the underpass near Leach Hwy at the Bull Creek train station?
Yep, this would be it. I noticed there are new signs where the PSP meets Selway Road, North of Leach Highway advising that a detour will be in place from December 1 to March. Signs flop around in the wind so unless they are facing you they are quite easily missed.

Haven't noticed any signs south of Leach Highway so just wondering if the detour will join the existing one around Parry Ave. If not I may need a map and compass because it doesn't look like there is any easy way to get from North of Leach Highway to South of Parry St by the back roads.

JBark

Postby JBark » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:24 pm

This guy is now my new favourite cyclist:

Every time I meet him in the detour around Parry Ave, he lets loose with a tirade of cursing that would make most sailors blush. I'm assuming it's because he has to slow down for other cyclists, but I'll be damned if it doesn't put the biggest smile on my face for the rest of my ride after hearing him. :) Best cursing seems to occur if I meet him at the short sidewalk section on the southern side of the detour, probably because it's impossible to ride quickly at all through there when other people are around. I've been out of earshot before he stops sometimes, that's impressive.

Never stop, King of the Cycling Cursers!

JBark

Postby JBark » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:52 pm

abas wrote:Haven't noticed any signs south of Leach Highway so just wondering if the detour will join the existing one around Parry Ave. If not I may need a map and compass because it doesn't look like there is any easy way to get from North of Leach Highway to South of Parry St by the back roads.
It looks like this new detour starts right where the path splits just south of Bull Creek. The signs are either blown away or something, so I didn't get a good look at the map the other day. But this is my guess at what the new detour is going to be (click for huge):

I am so not looking forward to having to cross Leech twice a day for 3 months*. I'm sure this will easily add 5-10 minutes to my commute each way.

* Who am I kidding, I don't expect this detour to be gone in any less than 6 months, and I'd put good money that it will be there through next winter.