Freeway Bike Hike

moosterbounce

Freeway Bike Hike

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:28 am

Anyone see the new ride added to this year's freeway ride? There is a 60km ride starting from Mt Henry bridge (or there abouts) going to Joondalup.

I;m now torn between doing the sprint 30km which I love, or trying the 60km. Why don't they do both over 2 days? Decisions, decisions!! :D

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:15 pm

The 60km was, at last look, a members only ride so if you don't have the whatever membership you are a no show.

Edit - they might have removed that condition now *looks more*

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:26 pm

What a useless web site!

I particularly like the line "Check out the rest of our website for more information!". Yeah right ....
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:46 pm

Bu**er! The 60km looks like the way to go, but I won't be here!

Cheers,

Gary

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:57 pm

Link to website?

Andrew

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:01 pm

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:05 pm

Thanks Gary

Andrew

beebleb

Postby beebleb » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:26 pm

60km. Awesome.

senator52

Postby senator52 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:39 pm

Birthday ride! :D

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:45 pm

Soooooooo...what's everyone doing?

I'll be doing the 30km ride as I have a time in my mind that I need to beat for personal satisfaction. I'll be in the under 60min group.

When I'm done with the 30km, I'll be heading down to Greenwood and riding the 10km with some people from work and their kids. Nice relaxing warm down, though last year the youngest kid a typical kids bike wanted to race me!! Her legs were going so fast they nearly fell off...then I told her she was doing 18kmh which made her happy. When she grows up, I hope she gets a real bike :P

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:49 pm

G'day

Freo -> Kwianna -> 60 km -> Freo. Hopefully 120 km.

Andrew

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:14 pm

Are you setting a time goal for the freeway bit of the ride Andrew, or just happy to do the 120km in a day?

I love having a target to work to and, because I prefer a print and TT, my targets tend to be time based.

That's what i love about bikes - there are so many ways to challenge yourself depending on the type of person you are. :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:27 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Are you setting a time goal for the freeway bit of the ride Andrew, or just happy to do the 120km in a day?)
Not done it before so really have no idea ... I guess average in the 20 to 25 km/h range over the whole ride will keep me happy.

Andrew

nimm

Postby nimm » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:58 pm

I will go register after this post. I'm planning on doing the 60km ride but that'll include about another 20km (or train) down to kwinana and then a return trip back home. So similar to Andrew, perhaps 100-120km all up.

I'll register in the A group because based on solo rides I'm fairly confident in finish in <2hrs. With other fast riders I'm sure it'll be even less thanks to drafting...
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:10 pm

G'day

Jason and any others interested, I would be interested in catching up for the ride back south of the river if that appeals. Of course I will not be able to keep up to your pace but if you wish a more relaxed ride home I am interested.

Regards
Andrew

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:42 pm

If someone wants to ride about 4km west of the finish line with me, they are welcome :lol:

Do I make it sound more tempting than Andrew's offer? :P

nimm

Postby nimm » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:38 pm

Yeah I'm looking for an easy ride back so sounds good.

Graeme, will you be riding back south too?
Last edited by nimm on Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:57 pm

Dammit.. I better hurry up and register.

I was keen to do the 60km - but the friend I'm going with is doubting her ability, even though i think she's well capable of it.

Distance aside, I think the ride through the Polly-pipe would have a bit more novelty appeal.

Not sure of my plans afterward - but if you see a bloke on a celeste & grey fixie - say G'day :)

Kym
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:44 pm

nimm wrote:Yeah I'm looking for an easy ride back so sounds good.

Grahame, will you be riding back south too?
Yep, I'm pretty sure I'll be riding back south. The guys at the WAHPV are putting on a few drinks afterwards another 5km up the track, but I'm not sure if I have the time to go along to that.

In any case, the ride home will be much more sedate than the run up the freeway. I expect to be finished within the 2hrs. (If you see a 'bent paceline hooning up the freeway, for God's sake, get out of the bloody way! We can't control our bikes at that sort of speed! :))

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:49 am

moosterbounce wrote:Soooooooo...what's everyone doing?
Work has once again come to the party and paid the entry fee for all that wish to enter. 60km it will be for me and I've chosen Group B for this year as a first timer. I'd like to have a trundle through the tunnel, but I'll go the 60km while I'm being keen.

Map and times are available here. Looks a long way when you print it out like that. :o Of course the hills are at the end as well. :( I know that they are not nasty but I've been told that they are still a good steady climb.

I'm keeping my eye on the Train Info page to see how we are going to get there.
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:34 am

Double-Gee wrote: I'm keeping my eye on the Train Info page to see how we are going to get there.
Same. Mr Moo is keen for the 60km ride, but catching the train down there from Joondalup is going to make for one helluva early morning!!

I did notice that the trains drop you off at the Esplanade for the 30km ride...so you then need to ride to Belmont. Last year they dropped us at Belmont Park so it was much more convenient. Looks like a warm-up to me :)

I feel bad not doing the 60km, but I really want to hit my goal in the 30km. I'm such a numbers girl :oops:

Minority

Postby Minority » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:41 pm

I guess that's because the line from Joondalup goes south to Mandurah now. Maybe you can transfer at Perth Central, but by the time you do that you could be at Belmont Park

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:39 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I did notice that the trains drop you off at the Esplanade for the 30km ride...so you then need to ride to Belmont. Last year they dropped us at Belmont Park so it was much more convenient.
There is nothing yet on the Transperth page, but I'm fairly sure that there is a full line shutdown on the Armadale line on that weekend?
Minority wrote:Maybe you can transfer at Perth Central
That would be Perth Underground and it is a right pain for bikes :(. The lift close to City Station was broken the other weekend when I was heading home. I thought it was kids playing it it first of all, but after watching doors open and close and security eventually arrive, it was declared broken. Up the stairs with the bike I went. I have previously been chastised for taking my bike on the escalator :evil: :evil: :evil: .
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:42 pm

bugger & drat.

I'm out of it now.

Numbnuts here rode home last night after a work farewell do and a few drinks; took right turn a bit wide - over corrected more towards the centre of the road and smack bang into the kerbing surrounding one of those median planted trees in the dark at about 25-30kph.

Slightly mashed helmet, grazed & cut right side of face, busted collar bone and a disconcerting light pain in my lower back. X-rays at the hospital revealed an old light vertebrae fracture that I was otherwise oblivious to - apart from the occasional pinch. Just hoping nothing's too aggravated.

But the collarbone alone means no treadling for 4 - 6 weeks :(

Not blaming anyone else other than myself for the accident. Just grateful 1) Noone else was hurt as a result of my stupidity 2) the signs are at least initially good none of my injuries are lasting, fingers crossed.

And not only does this mean I am out of the BikeHike - I am due to collect my brand new XTC1 mtb from my LBS today or tommorrow. I'm only going to get to stare at it for the next month or so! :( :(

Kym
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:54 pm

Bummer Kym. Anne fractured her collar bone in a car accident (t-boned by a driver going through a stop sign). She was in agony for awhile. Took ages to heel. I feel for you.

Andrew