Wildlife watch!

Dobo

Wildlife watch!

Postby Dobo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:20 pm

I've had few run-ins with the local wildlife of late. First one was riding home from work a couple of weeks ago and had to run the rabbit slalom down near mortimer road. Then last weekend the Maggies were out in force riding south to Manduarh I was swooped 6 times, the buggers don't give up, the old skip lid has more than one use! and then on Sunday I had to dodge 2 bob tails and a snake down near Karnup road. So be carefull guys and gals it's a jungle out there!
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012

Aphexchefpusher

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby Aphexchefpusher » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:36 am

Dobo wrote:I've had few run-ins with the local wildlife of late. First one was riding home from work a couple of weeks ago and had to run the rabbit slalom down near mortimer road. Then last weekend the Maggies were out in force riding south to Manduarh I was swooped 6 times, the buggers don't give up, the old skip lid has more than one use! and then on Sunday I had to dodge 2 bob tails and a snake down near Karnup road. So be carefull guys and gals it's a jungle out there!
Keep getting belted by bloody dragonflies at the moment......bloody martyrs the lot of 'em....mumble mumble :wink:
SCOTT CR1 TEAM 2011
GIANT DEFY ADVANCED 2012
GIANT TCR ADVANCED SL 1 2013
TREK 5700 MTB 2006

sli123

Postby sli123 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:23 am

Aphexchefpusher wrote:Keep getting belted by bloody dragonflies at the moment......bloody martyrs the lot of 'em....mumble mumble :wink:
BUGS! Lots of em!
Be careful if you've got your mouth open sucking in the big ones.......you might get more than air :shock:
And yes, dragonflies too (normally into the spokes or the water bottles).

sim-o

Wildlife watch!

Postby sim-o » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:00 am

Around Lake Joondalup lately there has been masses of those little midgie bugs. They seem to hang around in clusters just before sunset.

Last week they were just everywhere. I had to breathe through my nose alot of the time to avoid a midge sandwich. And it sounds like rain on the helmet when you go through a group of them. It makes riding... challenging.
2011 Merida Ride 93
2012 Apollo MTB

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:20 am

There is a small but thick cloud of midges on my commute, in exactly the same spot near a drain. I manage to get a snootful nearly every time :roll:

But I get the odd dolphin sighting too, which is a bit more pleasant.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Clubagreenie

Postby Clubagreenie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 pm

Lizzy wrote:There is a small but thick cloud of midges on my commute, in exactly the same spot near a drain. I manage to get a snootful nearly every time :roll:

But I get the odd dolphin sighting too, which is a bit more pleasant.

Dolphins ... in the drains now .... :shock: what beaching themselves isn't good enough for them anymore .... :roll: s-bend nose dolphins :mrgreen:
"My father touched me like that once. To this day, he still has to wear orthopedic shirts."

At the end of the day , it is the Indian , not the arrow .. so ride what you want

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:37 pm

I see the odd rattus rattus crossing the PSP around bullcreek. Yesterday I thougth, just for a moment, that I had spoted another. But it was somewhat bigger and less long, the tail was not so long and it hopped. He did not seem at all in a hurry to get across either, just moving fast enough to clear the path before I got their.

I know that we have a Quenda saving initiative inthe area so I checked out some pics of Quendas as soon as I got home. Yep. Score one for wildlife. Or is it?

I have never before seen a quenda in that area despite having ridden through it several thousand times. And it is twenty metres away from where they have stripped the vegatation bare for the freeway works around Parry Ave, so I fear that he way be a refugee. So maybe it's score 1-nill to Freeway versus the Quenda. :cry:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:48 pm

And today I spotted dolphins in the river for the first itme inteh morning for quite some time. So did a dozen camera-clicking tourists.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:58 pm

there is a wattle bird (i think) swooping every cyclist who rides down the path in front of Burswood (just near the small lake/pond) running along GE Hwy. Doesn't actually attack from what I've felt so far, but must get within mm's of the back of your head every morning..!

Clubagreenie

Postby Clubagreenie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:18 pm

uglybob wrote:there is a wattle bird (i think) swooping every cyclist who rides down the path in front of Burswood (just near the small lake/pond) running along GE Hwy. Doesn't actually attack from what I've felt so far, but must get within mm's of the back of your head every morning..!
take a squash racket bwwwwwwwwwha ha ha
"My father touched me like that once. To this day, he still has to wear orthopedic shirts."

At the end of the day , it is the Indian , not the arrow .. so ride what you want

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:32 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I have never before seen a quenda in that area despite having ridden through it several thousand times. And it is twenty metres away from where they have stripped the vegatation bare for the freeway works around Parry Ave, so I fear that he way be a refugee. So maybe it's score 1-nill to Freeway versus the Quenda. :cry:
:( Yeah, sad to say that is likely. We see the odd quenda at work and during some nearby construction a couple of years back we got a few wandering around courtyards and buildings, unusual as they're pretty shy of people (can't blame them really), guess they got disoriented when their bush disappeared. Poor little buggers.

On a happier note, I have been seeing more of the river dolphins over the last few months (although not actually to the point they are clogging up drains, that was a different spot :P ).
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:40 pm

Try riding south to Rockingham for work every day - all you see are the local natives - and they're not a pretty sight!
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:05 pm

The last two Fridays I've taken a ride from South Perth down to Karnup Rd and back, and both times on the way back between Karnup rd and Safety Bay rd I've had something hit my helmet, but for the life of me have no idea what it is.

Dobo

Postby Dobo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:22 pm

That's where I got swooped by a maggie. I also had a drogon fly stuck head first in the front of my helmet. the bloody thing was flapping likt mad, I had to stop and get it out, wasn't very pleasant!
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:31 pm

try having a bee hit you right between the eyes (AT) 60/hr!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:41 pm

MarkG wrote:try having a bee hit you right between the eyes (AT) 60/hr!
I've had that doing 30kph right above glasses and below helmet OMGosh that flippen hurt
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:48 pm

Yeh .. It was at that point I was praying I wasn't allergic to bee stings!

Dobo

Postby Dobo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:54 pm

I'd just like be able to do 60kph bees or not!!!
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:16 pm

I had a couple of crazy poodles chasing me up the street on the way home on Sunday!

Dobo

Postby Dobo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:28 pm

Hey Mark Thats not a euphemism is it. It might be those same mad bitches that had a go at Brad the other day! :mrgreen:
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:58 pm

Clubagreenie wrote:
uglybob wrote:there is a wattle bird (i think) swooping every cyclist who rides down the path in front of Burswood (just near the small lake/pond) running along GE Hwy. Doesn't actually attack from what I've felt so far, but must get within mm's of the back of your head every morning..!
take a squash racket bwwwwwwwwwha ha ha
if only i had a cap gun still around somewhere...

Clubagreenie

Postby Clubagreenie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:03 pm

Dobo wrote:Hey Mark Thats not a euphemism is it. It might be those same mad bitches that had a go at Brad the other day! :mrgreen:

Dobo , mate , if you met Mark ..built like a condom full of walnuts .. he would that pull more pussy than a Chinese Restaurant... the poodles were prob chasing the smell of pussy on him

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:05 pm

Lol.

Redbull

Wildlife watch!

Postby Redbull » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:13 am

Mrfenejeans wrote:The last two Fridays I've taken a ride from South Perth down to Karnup Rd and back, and both times on the way back between Karnup rd and Safety Bay rd I've had something hit my helmet, but for the life of me have no idea what it is.

Magpies!!

There are some that hang out about 1.5ks south of Baldivis Road - they've whacked me on the helmet a couple of times on Sunday.

Plenty of bob tails out as well.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:23 am

Clubagreenie wrote:
Dobo wrote:Hey Mark Thats not a euphemism is it. It might be those same mad bitches that had a go at Brad the other day! :mrgreen:

Dobo , mate , if you met Mark ..built like a condom full of walnuts .. he would that pull more pussy than a Chinese Restaurant... the poodles were prob chasing the smell of pussy on him
i rode past this bloke the other day - is this mark?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us