Wildlife watch!

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby rider_1 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:06 pm

or similar to this one.....
Image
Visit My website
Looking for a road bike riding partners around Gosnells,WA
Image
rider_1
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:05 pm

by BNA » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:03 pm

BNA
 

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby Dobo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Hey Rider_1 it was just like that one only more blurey as it and I were moving quite fast at the time. Also just wondering why you have so many pictures of snakes? lol
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012
Image
User avatar
Dobo
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:15 pm
Location: Baldivis

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby ghostpoet » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:18 pm

I've had the bejeesus scared out of me by a monster feral cat on the Mundabiddi to Dandalup Hut just after sunrise. I shrieked like a schoolgirl...
ghostpoet
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby Pushy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:22 am

ghostpoet wrote:I've had the bejeesus scared out of me by a monster feral cat on the Mundabiddi to Dandalup Hut just after sunrise. I shrieked like a schoolgirl...

That would be the kitten I tried to catch on Del Park Road a few years ago. Honest
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km
Pushy
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Freo WA

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby rider_1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Dobo wrote:Hey Rider_1 it was just like that one only more blurey as it and I were moving quite fast at the time. Also just wondering why you have so many pictures of snakes? lol

that's brown snake mate, be carefull...
I can find those photos at the web, easy...
those snakes are ok if you're not disturbing them ....even shy...
Visit My website
Looking for a road bike riding partners around Gosnells,WA
Image
rider_1
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby rider_1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:10 pm

ghostpoet wrote:I've had the bejeesus scared out of me by a monster feral cat on the Mundabiddi to Dandalup Hut just after sunrise. I shrieked like a schoolgirl...

is it as big as cheetah ?
Visit My website
Looking for a road bike riding partners around Gosnells,WA
Image
rider_1
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby rider_1 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:21 pm

I saw another death kangoroo this morning at Mill Road East, what a poor kangoroo, I didn't see it in my first lap, I saw it on my 3rd lap...about 150cm in height... :(
Visit My website
Looking for a road bike riding partners around Gosnells,WA
Image
rider_1
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby rider_1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:24 am

Yesterday morning I saw kangoroo standing and watching me riding just in front of aralluen botanical park, when I weaved to it...it jumped into the park, funny :)
Visit My website
Looking for a road bike riding partners around Gosnells,WA
Image
rider_1
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Wildlife watch!

Postby dino1969 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Came across a 1m juvenile looking brown snake approx 500m north of the Russell/Gibbs rd exit on the kwinana psp around 16h00!Luckily I spotted it in time! There is a new property development in Success and the wildlife may have been disturbed by the land clearance and earthworks.Will definitely be more vigilant now!Told my kids and my 6 year old said that if it was a juvenile it's mommy must be close by!!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
User avatar
dino1969
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby Pushy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:39 am

Two suicide river rats in the past seven days :( . One at Burswood and the other on the Fwy PSP near the Scout Hall, not happy about killing any animal, at least it was quick.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km
Pushy
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Freo WA

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby Mattheq » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:27 am

I was riding back from Mandurah on Sunday and was getting very impressed by the times being served up by the Garmin Edge 500 - so much so that I kept looking at the lap times to see how much I was improving. Just after looking at the Garmin for too long, I looked up to see a dark snake on the path just a few hundred metres south of Walley Bridge.

I estimated that if I hit the skids, I would end up stopped beside the snake while annoying it at the same time, so I had little option but to speed up hope for the best. About 10 metres from the snake, it felt me coming and very quickly (more quickly than I would have thought!) it poised for a strike. 2 metres from the snake, I unclipped and lifted my legs as high as they would go. It struck at my bike as I passed it, and it passed between front and rear wheel - luckily for me. For the next half hour I kept checking my legs for pain / swelling just to be sure I didn't get hit and wasn't aware of it.

Don't know what type of snake it was, but it was over a metre long and quite dark. I don't think I ran over any part of it, but was grrateful it passed between my wheels and didn't get caught up in the spokes. That wouldn't have been very pleasant for me or the snake!
2011 Giant CrossCity 1
2011 Giant XtC 29er 1
User avatar
Mattheq
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:40 pm
Location: Duncraig, WA

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby rider_1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:56 am

Mattheq wrote:I was riding back from Mandurah on Sunday and was getting very impressed by the times being served up by the Garmin Edge 500 - so much so that I kept looking at the lap times to see how much I was improving. Just after looking at the Garmin for too long, I looked up to see a dark snake on the path just a few hundred metres south of Walley Bridge.

I estimated that if I hit the skids, I would end up stopped beside the snake while annoying it at the same time, so I had little option but to speed up hope for the best. About 10 metres from the snake, it felt me coming and very quickly (more quickly than I would have thought!) it poised for a strike. 2 metres from the snake, I unclipped and lifted my legs as high as they would go. It struck at my bike as I passed it, and it passed between front and rear wheel - luckily for me. For the next half hour I kept checking my legs for pain / swelling just to be sure I didn't get hit and wasn't aware of it.

Don't know what type of snake it was, but it was over a metre long and quite dark. I don't think I ran over any part of it, but was grrateful it passed between my wheels and didn't get caught up in the spokes. That wouldn't have been very pleasant for me or the snake!


you should be carefull with that snake, could be poisonous, concentrate on the road mate, don't stare on your garmin all the time, dangerous...
Visit My website
Looking for a road bike riding partners around Gosnells,WA
Image
rider_1
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby jaseyjase » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:19 am

two rabbits narrowly escaped my front wheel this morning just a tad after scarbs on the bike path south bound. Didnt help that it was still pre-dawn.
User avatar
jaseyjase
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:53 pm

You do need to be looking ahead in the warm months, not just for snakes besides the road but the flying kind; twice I've had to duck and swerve to avoid snakes hit by a passing car and flung up.
I'd prefer my snakes to be tyre liners than ninjas. However ...when I was a kid living opposite the bush in Pt Peron I once tied a large rubber snake toy to a bit of fishing line, hid behind bushes and dragged the thing across the road, sure enough cars were aiming at it. So if you're on a bike and see a snake up ahead crossing the road and hear a car coming you know that they'll probably try to run it over, maybe they'll miss and you'll have pissed off fang worm in your face.

On my typical commute between Spearwood and Perth I used to have to watch for glass, bogans, rabbits, magpies, snakes, bobtails, sand left by trailbikes, long neck tortoises, midgies, pig rats (bandicoots) and the other rat, plus the odd fallen tree or branch. I used to get the 25km to work still in doze mode, tell people that I was only truly awake by the time I'd hit the showers at work. Honestly, I don't know how I survived the ride in some days given that I wasn't watching out for all this feral stuff with full attention. Thank you BNA for alerting me.
just4tehhalibut
 
Posts: 863
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:02 am
Location: Spearwood, WA

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby rider_1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:09 pm

I saw a kangooro again around canning road, unfortunately it was death already....pitty :(
and I saw cream color lizard at crystal brook road, is it poisonous ? I wanted to take picture actually but I was descending, not easy to pull over and brake....it was narrow road there...
Visit My website
Looking for a road bike riding partners around Gosnells,WA
Image
rider_1
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby rider_1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:09 pm

A bird too....a group of coctcatoos shocked me at brookton Hwy.....may be they were shocked too, I passed them by :)
Visit My website
Looking for a road bike riding partners around Gosnells,WA
Image
rider_1
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby rolandp » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:32 pm

It is almost spring time. This morning watched while fellow cyclist ran over the tail end of a duck, who was being very protective of its ducklings. Near The Narrows Smelly Lakes. It wasn't the cyclists fault as this duck goes for anything.
User avatar
rolandp
 
Posts: 1791
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:47 am
Location: Duncraig, Perth, WA

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:48 pm

Shared lunch with a pale green/opague thin snake around 45 cm or so long. This was between Mingenew and Geraldton. Any one have any idea as to what type of snake it was? I didn't get a chance to take a photo. As soon as I moved it was off into the grass.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20120
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby BandedRail » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:02 am

rolandp wrote:It is almost spring time. This morning watched while fellow cyclist ran over the tail end of a duck, who was being very protective of its ducklings. Near The Narrows Smelly Lakes. It wasn't the cyclists fault as this duck goes for anything.


Anyone else notice the lack of ducks in the ponds by the Maylands Yacht Club at the moment? It's due to an insanely protective mountain duck dad - saw him chasing a white-faced grey heron the other day :roll:

Wood ducks (aka maned geese), mountain ducks and swans are all in aggro mode at the moment so take care when passing. The purple swamp hens are in full breeding plumage too so when their chicks arrive you'll have to watch out for them as well. I've never seen a banded rail chick though...
User avatar
BandedRail
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:31 pm
Location: Bayswater, Perth WA

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby BandedRail » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:13 am

Aushiker wrote:Shared lunch with a pale green/opague thin snake around 45 cm or so long. This was between Mingenew and Geraldton. Any one have any idea as to what type of snake it was? I didn't get a chance to take a photo. As soon as I moved it was off into the grass.

Andrew



Possibly a whip snake (Demansia psammophis reticulata)? Or perhaps a legless lizard - they are often mistaken for snakes.
User avatar
BandedRail
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:31 pm
Location: Bayswater, Perth WA

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby eldavo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:34 am

Last week saw this family, setting a better example than most by keeping left on the local PSP:
Image

My highlight was last year when a rider in front nearly hit this guy on Lake Monger path and didn't stop, I passed by, noticed it struggling to cross, went back and found it had its front leg stuck over its head, looking disabled. It untangled when I picked it up and moved it to the scrub line. I don't ride that path now, so probably won't see another.
Image
eldavo
 
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:47 am

BandedRail wrote:
Possibly a whip snake (Demansia psammophis reticulata)? Or perhaps a legless lizard - they are often mistaken for snakes.


That looks like a reasonable possibilty. It had a distinct black head which very much looked like a snake head so I pretty sure it was a snake and not a legless lizard. The colour but is what caught my attention and of course snakes are well known for having a large variation in colours making it harder to identify them.

Thankfully it didn't decide to taste me :) It was only 200 to 300 cm from me when I saw it.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20120
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby Pushy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:46 pm

Aushiker wrote:
BandedRail wrote:
Possibly a whip snake (Demansia psammophis reticulata)? Or perhaps a legless lizard - they are often mistaken for snakes.


That looks like a reasonable possibilty. It had a distinct black head which very much looked like a snake head so I pretty sure it was a snake and not a legless lizard. The colour but is what caught my attention and of course snakes are well known for having a large variation in colours making it harder to identify them.

Thankfully it didn't decide to taste me :) It was only 200 to 300 cm from me when I saw it.

Andrew


" Distinct black head" ? possibly a hooded snake third one down. Had the Gould (first) share my crib room at the mine.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km
Pushy
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Freo WA

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby argybargy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:35 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZgcJWx4YP0&feature=plcp[/youtube]

This happened earlier this year on the Kwinana FWY bike path going south, just past Thomas.
Long story short, I managed to get it to go into the bush after i'd finished recording this video as it was safer for all than being scared onto the freeway.
argybargy
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:01 am

Re: Wildlife watch!

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:15 am

Thorny Devil on the Northwest Coastal Highway IIRC ...

Image

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20120
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

PreviousNext

Return to Western Australia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit