Perth Bike Map series - reprint suggestion

Perth Bike Map series - reprint suggestion

Postby twowheels » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:57 pm

Following on from another thread, I fired off this suggestion to the DPI.

I’ve got a hard copy version of the Perth Bike Map series Perth/Fremantle – Stirling (print 035-06-2003) and regularly travel by bike from the south of the Stirling map to the north of the Perth/Fremantle map (and return from the north of the Perth/Fremantle map to the south of the Stirling map).

I would like to make a suggestion regarding the layout design of this map for future reprints. The print of the map I have flips from east to west, thus making it difficult to locate a continuing journey from one map to another. If in future the map were redesigned with a layout that permits a flip from the south of Stirling to the north of Perth/Fremantle & vice versa the map would be much easier to use.

Ease of use would be further enhanced
• with horizontal & vertical indicators, either grid reference or latitude/longitude.
• overlapping the edges of each map

The same applies to the Joondalup – Stirling and Canning – Armadale maps. Cockburn – Rockingham is similar, but would further benefit if the maps were aligned, currently they are offset.

While I’m emailing, could you also provide a “cojoined” online version of Perth Bike Map series on your website so people can print off bike maps of any selected area to any paper size and scale desired “across map borders”.
twowheels

by BNA » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:56 pm

BNA

Re: Perth Bike Map series - reprint suggestion

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:56 pm

twowheels wrote:I’ve got a hard copy version of the Perth Bike Map series Perth/Fremantle – Stirling (print 035-06-2003).

They must be due to do a new series of editions sometime soon, surely. I've been holding off buying any new copies for a few years now (since around 2003?) I could've sworn they used to be more frequently revised - like every 18 months or 2 years. There's certainly been plenty of roadworks and major path changes and extensions since then to warrant some new ones by now.

Maybe they're still too busy restructuring Departments; splitting, merging and renaming every 12 months or so to bother with anything so farcical as servicing their tax paying public anymore.

*grumble*grumble*
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby Double-Gee » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:18 pm

Late last year I queried the "We will be updating the online maps on a regular basis before printing in 2007."

The reply I received was -
Thank you for your message regarding the map updates.

The mapping information on the website reflects the most up to date information that we have. We endevour to keep these maps as up to date as possible but it is very difficult to do so as changes to the network are constantly occuring.

In cases where we are aware that cycling facilities have been built we will inspect and add the information to the online maps as soon as possible.

However, we are not always aware of all cycling infrastructure that is being constructed. For example, a developer may construct shared paths as part of a subdivision and these facilities may not come to our attention for a period of time. Also, it is common for local governments to construct cycling facilities as part of their normal works program and not inform us of their existence. Cycling facilities also need to be inspected to ensure that they have been constructed to the required standard before they can be added to the map which is a time consuming process. As a consequence we tend to contact specific local authorities every few years and ask them to provide details of cycling infrastructure that they have constructed during that time. Once a list has been provided by Council we will carry out inspections and add those that meet the required standards to the online map.

Generally we will contact neighbouring local authorities so that we can update an entire area shown on one map. Once this has been completed we will then organise a print run for that map. In 2007 we updated the Perth / Fremantle and Stirling area maps and these have now been printed and distributed to retail outlets. We are currently working on the Swan map and should have it completed, printed and distributed before the end of June 2008. The remaining maps (Cockburn, Canning, etc.) will be reprinted once they have been updated with new infrastructure.

To summarise, updated printed maps are being produced on an regular basis, but we are unable to reprint every map every year. As a consequence some printed maps are several years old while others are more current. However, all the latest printed maps are available from local bike shops. Furthermore, online maps are being updated constantly with information that we know and will probably contain more accurate and up to date information than the printed maps.

I hope this answers your query.
At this moment in time, don't hold your breath for new maps. :(
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa
Double-Gee

Re: Perth Bike Map series - reprint suggestion

Postby exadios » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:58 pm

twowheels wrote:Following on from another thread, I fired off this suggestion to the DPI.

I’ve got a hard copy version of the Perth Bike Map series Perth/Fremantle – Stirling (print 035-06-2003) and regularly travel by bike from the south of the Stirling map to the north of the Perth/Fremantle map (and return from the north of the Perth/Fremantle map to the south of the Stirling map).

I would like to make a suggestion regarding the layout design of this map for future reprints. The print of the map I have flips from east to west, thus making it difficult to locate a continuing journey from one map to another. If in future the map were redesigned with a layout that permits a flip from the south of Stirling to the north of Perth/Fremantle & vice versa the map would be much easier to use.

Ease of use would be further enhanced
• with horizontal & vertical indicators, either grid reference or latitude/longitude.
• overlapping the edges of each map

The same applies to the Joondalup – Stirling and Canning – Armadale maps. Cockburn – Rockingham is similar, but would further benefit if the maps were aligned, currently they are offset.

While I’m emailing, could you also provide a “cojoined” online version of Perth Bike Map series on your website so people can print off bike maps of any selected area to any paper size and scale desired “across map borders”.

Why not cut your own from the online maps?
exadios

Return to Western Australia