Anyone for a little ceremonial MTB riding? Newbies welcome!

Postby Double-Gee » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:54 pm

I've spoken nicely to my mate at work and he has agreed to cover my roster from 5am on Saturday morning. The oily chain on the Boulder has been degreased and coated with White Lightning. I'm hoping this will help my newbie status, but am now a bit worried after reading "Be prepared to be injured in new and interesting ways."

My stomach is full of pasta and the GPS has it's batteries on charge. As long as I can drag myself outa bed in the morning, I should be there. Forecast is now for 28 degrees, so it should be a nice day for it.

I'll be looking for the collection of assorted bikes and the shiny XtC2 in the car park at The Dell. :)
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa
Double-Gee

by BNA » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:30 am

BNA

Postby senator52 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:30 am

Count me in too guys, look for the slightly lost looking 19yr old with orange hair and a borrowed Specialized Hardrock Sport :D
senator52

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:20 am

5:15 AM in Freo. I am up but a bit worried. 19 year olds with organge hair and a belly full off pasta ... this is getting serious. Maybe I should be the one sleeping in :lol:

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby gdl_gdl » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:27 am

5:15 AM in Freo. I am up but a bit worried

Hi Andrew,

I'll listen out for the ambulances driving up Orrong Road! :wink:

Cheers,

Gary
gdl_gdl

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:53 pm

G'day

Excellent ride this morning. My thanks for Graeme for putting this together. I think I managed to come off only five times. Both legs are bruised and bleeding. Does that mean it was a great ride? :D

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby senator52 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:56 pm

Sure was a great ride, was fantastic! Thanks guys. When i got in the car i noticed my entire left pinky finger was stained dark red with dried blood. So good i didnt notice the gushing :D
senator52

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:02 pm

senator52 wrote: When i got in the car i noticed my entire left pinky finger was stained dark red with dried blood.

Nasty. Hope just blood and nothing more serious.

BTW how far did we ride?

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby senator52 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:05 pm

I noticed clipping a tree towards the start of the ride, and it bled a little. Must have opened it up somehow later. I heard it was something around 11-12km?
senator52

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:27 pm

It was indeed a fun ride. Thanks for coming along guys.

GG's computer said 11.2km while mine said 10.3km. We'll go with Double-G's one, okay? ;)

I always find it amazing that so few kms can feel so far when you're on dirt.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Caelum » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:29 pm

Might be a good idea to re-calibrate your computers :P

either that or GG did an awful lot of swerving and dodging along the way :P
Caelum

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:55 pm

None of us are serious enough dirt riders to put normal bike computers on our MTBs. Both GG and I had GPS units: his was on the bars while mine was in the bag on my back. I'd put the discrepancy down to issues with signal quality.

But then again, GG was a little unsteady .... ;)

Cheers,
Graeme

(Andrew had his Garmin Edge 305, but he had his low speed cut off set too high for the speed he was riding! When we reached the top of the hill, he'd only gone half as far as the rest of us. :D)
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Caelum » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:02 pm

bahaha, ok, i'll let you guys off this time!
Caelum

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:08 pm

Gee, thanks mate! :wink:

Graeme

(PS - you would not have lasted a kilometre on the skinny wheels - there was some very deep gravel out there today. I reckon several of Andrew's horizontal excursions were due to that cause alone.)
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:27 pm

Aushiker wrote:I think I managed to come off only five times. Both legs are bruised and bleeding. Does that mean it was a great ride? :D

Andrew

You're one of us now, Mwahahahahaaa 8)

Glad you blokes had a good time, any pics?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby senator52 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:50 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Gee, thanks mate! :wink:

Graeme

(PS - you would not have lasted a kilometre on the skinny wheels - there was some very deep gravel out there today. I reckon several of Andrew's horizontal excursions were due to that cause alone.)

Almost all of my horizontal excursions were due to that quicksand of pea gravel, it was certainly an experience. Awesome fun, even though im sure i well exceeded Andrew's five falls.
senator52

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:05 pm

No pics, which is a bummer because I had plenty of opportunities. Next time ....

Cheers,
Graeme
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Caelum » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:31 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Gee, thanks mate! :wink:

Graeme

Sounds like a good reason to strip my MTB down to the bare frame, and start a new build... All running pre-2000 deore gear on there at the moment... XT/XTR might do me better ;)

Might try and bring it back to WA on my next tassie trip...
Caelum

Postby nimm » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:03 pm

uhoh, i think i need to get myself a mtb now ;)
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /
nimm

Postby Double-Gee » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:50 am

Kalgrm wrote:None of us are serious enough dirt riders to put normal bike computers on our MTBs. Both GG and I had GPS units: his was on the bars while mine was in the bag on my back.
Just to clarify... I did have my 1606L in Bike II mode on the Boulder and that gave me the 11.17km reading. I didn't reset the trip meter on the GPS, but will try to remember that in future. My front wheel was firmly, or maybe semi-firmly, planted on the ground for 99% of the circuit while our ride leader was seen to be catching air on more than one occasion. Maybe that caused a discrepancy?

Kalgrm wrote:But then again, GG was a little unsteady .... ;)
No denying that one and I was directly responsible for Andrew biting the dirt at least once. :( Graeme zipped up and through a small rocky outcrop while I approached at a more sedate pace. Not enough inertia saw me stop midway through the outcrop and I was sure that I was in for another clipped in fall. It was sheer luck and nothing else that saw me stop upright with a pedal and my heel balancing me. I thought I did well, until I turned around and saw Andrew going over and Dean not far behind him. Sorry guys. :( :( :(

senator52 wrote:Almost all of my horizontal excursions were due to that quicksand of pea gravel
I did notice one or both of the tyres on the borrowed bike looking a bit low on tread. I think they may not have helped you as well. :(

The circuit we rode was a lot more work and fun that the Carinyah Trail that I have done before. It wasn't a long ride, but I know that Andrew and myself were feeling it on some of the big uphills. Going down the other sides was a blast - until the pea gravel took your front wheel in some random direction.

Thanks to Graeme for the invitation and to all those who came along. I can see that I have to do something with my pedals as well as getting some more off-road experience before next time.
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa
Double-Gee

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:04 am

nimm wrote:uhoh, i think i need to get myself a mtb now ;)

Man.. I think you're right Nimm. I got a mate just back from the UK and he's had his MTB containered back here to Perth and he's naggin' me to get a MTB sorted so we can head out somewhere. Threads like this are certainly helping his cause.

I've been toying with the notion of a 29"er. Any local aficionados here?
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:57 pm

HappyHumber wrote:I've been toying with the notion of a 29"er. Any local aficionados here?

Here's a totally uninformed opinion from a bloke who has seen a couple of them .... (in other words, an opinion like many on the internet, so take it at less than face value! ;))

When I was in Melbourne, I rode at Lysterfield with Kukamunga and one of his friends. That guy had a 29er, so of course I asked him what he thought of it. In his opinion, they are no better or worse than a 26" MTB. They are different, but not better. Smoother but slower when the tracks get twisty.

While we were in the car park, two or three other riders came in with 29ers. That was the most I'd ever seen in one place. I personally don't think one would be well suited to the riding conditions we have here in the west, although I reckon Lysterfield (with it's manicured tracks) would be a good place to ride them.

GG, getting more off-road experience before going off-road again might be problematic! :D

My thanks to all who came along too. It gave me an opportunity to get back on the dirt without feeling pressured to keep up with my normal riding group (who are all guns on those tracks :()

I think the next one I run will be down at Langford Park near Jarrahdale. A bit of a drive, but it's a great series of tracks there.

Cheers,
Graeme
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:13 pm

thanks for your thoughts, Graeme.

Kalgrm wrote:That guy had a 29er, so of course I asked him what he thought of it. In his opinion, they are no better or worse than a 26" MTB. They are different, but not better. Smoother but slower when the tracks get twisty.

Yeah, this seems to sum up pretty much my readings. However, what still makes me lean towards the idea is the fact I'm a smidge taller than average (6'2") and I have read from various sources they can be a better fundamental geometry for the bigger rider.

Kalgrm wrote: I personally don't think one would be well suited to the riding conditions we have here in the west

Glad you mentioned this aspect as well. In essence I think I'd like to be more generally XC orientated when I finally get off road again. What little I have done was about 6 years ago on a borrowed, 26" rigid frame hack - down around Dardanup and portions of the Mundabindi which were pretty tame anyway. I dare say that's where I'll be heading when I do get a steed again - and probably with you guys, as there's a few places you've mentioned I don't know about.

I think I just want to rekindle the experience of being an 8 year old fanging around the bush tracks in Margaret River on my BMX.

Kym
- Kym
HappyHumber

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:36 pm

HappyHumber wrote:I think I just want to rekindle the experience of being an 8 year old fanging around the bush tracks in Margaret River on my BMX.

Kym

Spoken like a true mountain biker! You'll fit right in then. :)

I don't know about you, but I think I was proportionally much taller than the difference you're talking about (26" vs 29") when I stopped using 20" wheels. (Did that come out right?) Think about how easy it was to throw around a BMX bike, even as you out-grew it. Then think about the difference a jump from 26" to 29" is. I don't buy into the "taller = 29er" philosophy because of that. I think a tall bloke would be able to throw around a "normal" MTB easier than he could a 29er, much like a bigger kid throws a BMX bike around more easily than a smaller kid can.

Again, an uninformed opinion, so please disregard if you like. I can't back that up with experience.

Cheers,
Graeme

Cheers,
Graeme
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:27 pm

*bump*

Right.. after a bit of encouragement from reading this thread and some minimal goading from my mate - this arvo I slapped down a deposit on an XTC1. Should have it next weekend - dunno if that factored in this long weekend however.

My LBS talked me around from the XTC2. Got a new road morph pump, some eggbeater Cs, a hydration bladder, spare brake pads and new U-lock all thrown in for a smidge over $2K.

I'm excited! :D
- Kym
HappyHumber

Postby nimm » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:39 pm

oh sweet! :) I'm putting some dollars into a trailer and kiddie trailer so the MTB is going to have to wait unfortunately.
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /
nimm

PreviousNext

Return to Western Australia