Bike repair / maintenance courses?

knoddie

Bike repair / maintenance courses?

Postby knoddie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:23 pm

I have just bought my first bike for 30 years, and being no handyman, and even less of a mechanic, I thought it would be good to do a short course on bike maintenance if such a thing is available. I've had a look at the TAFE short courses, but they don't seem to cater for this. Does anyone know of bike shops perhaps offering this sort of thing? I live in Kingsley.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:45 pm

G/Day Knoddie, welcome back outside :D

Never seen a Tafe course advertised anywhere :roll: You could try Bike User Groups in your area, see if there's any bike recyclers in your area or just dive in and get your hands dirty. The Shed is a good place to hang around looking for ideas, as is Sheldon Brown and Park Tools.
If you use the site search option for "books" you'll find a link to a site with downloadable PDFs of some good maintenance manuals.

Of course dropping into your LBS in a quiet time with some beer and questions works well too. :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

knoddie

Postby knoddie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:01 pm

Thanks for the welcome Mulger Bill.

I've actualy been outside for 18 months...needed something to do when not pounding the pavement, that wasn't going to stress the legs too much.

Diving in and getting my hands dirty unfortunately isn't an option...I will break things, no doubt about it. :oops: The books are a good option if I can't find any courses.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:28 pm

I have seen one advertised...now then, let me think...

Found it here

Not recent, but worth keeping an eye out for (or even getting in contact).

:)

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:02 pm

good question. i do quite a lot of my own stuff, have since i was a kid, maybe a course would cover what i do anyway, but i'd also be interested in seeing what courses are available in perth, and learing some more advanced stuff and shortcuts/tips.

i refer to "The Haynes Bicycle Book" & "The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance & Repair" (from Amazon?), sort of cross reference to each other if I haven't done something before, then further x-ref to Sheldon Brown or Park Tools web sites if i can't find in the books.

knoddie

Postby knoddie » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:14 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Some good news, I had to adjust the back brakes, and I managed it LOL. :D

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:42 pm

Well done knoddie. That's a the first step; you'll be running before you know it!

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:40 pm

That's the way Knoddie, born fiddler :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:51 pm

G'day

Check out the Cycling Touring Association's website. They have maintanence nights, as does BTAWA.

Andrew

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:56 pm

Found something that is coming up (on the DPI site)

Cycling Workshops

Date:

Monday 10 March and Friday 14 March 2008

Start time:

9.30am

Dorte Hansen tel: 9311 8148 email: dhansen@vicpark.wa.gov.au

A series of basic bicycle maintenance workshops organised by the Town of Victoria Park and the City of South Perth. Free refreshments will be provided. The Monday workshop will be held at Leisurelife Centre in East Victoria Park, and the Friday workshop at the South Perth Civic Centre in Sandgate Streete, South Perth.

knoddie

Postby knoddie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:39 pm

That's brilliant. I've emailed and asked for details. Luckily the friday date is the last day of my holidays, and my first day back in town, so it works out very well. :D

Rob

Matty

Postby Matty » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:42 pm

Nice find. I'll probably try and make one of those nights if I can.

Rob, would you mind posting the details when you receive a reply please. Save Dorte Hansen from fielding a tonne of emails from the forum :)

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:05 pm

B*gger! I wouldn't have minded attending that class but as usual I'll be away.

Hopefully they'll be another one in the near future.

Cheers,

Gary

knoddie

Postby knoddie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:31 am

Here's Dorte's reply:

Thanks for your interest in the bike workshops.

The Friday (14th) workshop is from 9.30-10.30am at the Scented Gardens, Sir James Mitchell park (approx 200m east of the Mends street jetty, car park 11).

There is another workshop on Monday the 10th of March at the Leisurelife Centre, 34 Kent st, East Victoria park, again from 9.30-10.30am.

If you are able to, please bring your bike as this will make the maintenance session much more relevant to you. If there is anything specific that you would like to hear about at the workshop please send it through and I can alert the presenter

Regards,
Dorte Hansen

Travelsmart & RoadWise Officer
Town of Victoria Park
9311 8148

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:16 pm

G'day

The Munda Biddi Foundation is running a "mechanics" clinic at Dwellingup on Sunday June 15, 2008 from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.

Cost is $55 for members, $66 for non-members.

It includes theoretical and practical sessions, refreshments, a light lunch and information package. Option available to go for a short ride after the clinic.

Andrew

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi All, Does anyone know of anywhere that runs Wheel building courses in Perth?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:24 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:Hi All, Does anyone know of anywhere that runs Wheel building courses in Perth?
Gudday Mitzi - can't help you with courses specifically, but I managed to teach myself quite sucessfully from a number of 'how to' documents from the web - most notably Sheldon Browns article.

I started with a junk wheel I got off the side of the road. It was serviceable as as it was and I just pulled it apart and followed the instructions to put it back together.

there isn't an awful lot to it - just more a sequence of fairly repetitive steps and attention to detail - once you get an idea of the pattern/repetition involved that's about it.

I have built about 4 or 5 wheels, having been self taught.

I would recommend wheel building as an exercise - it's very a satisfying process. Almost meditative I find, too. (Having said that - I'd hate to do it for a living! ;)

Kym
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:25 pm

G'day mitzikatzi,

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help you with a specific course in WA, but I can say that it's not a difficult thing to do. I learnt to do it using two resources on the net. I posted them in another thread, if you're interested.

Hopefully someone will be able to give you a proper answer to your question.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:39 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

I have built one wheel from three that I found on the side of the road with Sheldons help. It's almost true. I would like to be able to true wheels "100%" if i could.

Thanks for the "Mike T" wheel building link. The home built trueing stand looks like what I have been thinking of building. I had also been thinking about cutting up a frame and making a stand from the rear end of a frame.

I am keen to do a course just so I can try building a wheel with proper tools before i spend money on buying them (also I have no real idea what I need and what quality will do).