Arena/PEC rail bridge

rolandp

Re: Arena/PEC rail bridge

Postby rolandp » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Department of Transport provides route information into the City on this page.

Personally, I avoid the CBD, turn off at Harbour Town/RAC Building area, and go down to the River and back into town. Hate George St section though.

BTA also has an article running on the Perth Arena area, where additional feedback can be found.

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:38 pm

Bergsey wrote: Cheers for that. I've been going a similar way but instead of turning off at harbor town I've been continuing down to the arena / Wellington st. Looks like I'll have to turn off at harbour town then come down Murray.

So I gather on the way home you come straight down hay st.? That is a nightmare coming all the way from the middle of the CBD .... St George's the not much better!
Fortunately for me, I ride out of work straight onto Milligan St so I don't need to worry about the Hay St/St George's gridlock. Though you could just filter all the way down?

On the way home I usually ride down to the bottom of Milligan and then turn left onto Wellington and ride as if I'm going onto the fwy but then jump back onto the psp at the George St lights.
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:39 pm

I noticed this week some scaffolding going up next to the arena overpass bridge. Looks like they might be working on reinstating the old ramp down parallel to the rail line. Anyone heard anything about it?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:36 pm

Karati

Postby Karati » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:18 pm

This pdf has a diagram of the ramp arrangement.

I think I'll be heading over horseshoe bridge from 18th June!!

http://www.mra.wa.gov.au/Documents/Pert ... -sheet.pdf

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:58 pm

From the look of that link, they are making things worse, not better. I will just have to continue using Aberdeen Street.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:44 pm

Hmmm, so the temporary ramp will be in place until at least mid 2014 when the demolition of the rest of the foot bridge will take place dependant on completion of rail tunnel works at which time the land bridge will be completed to connect PC with Northbridge. Given the high possibility of delays to tunnel works, (based on William St tunnel construction delays :wink: ) I think I'll be avoiding this route at all costs for at least the next 2 years. :roll:

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:34 pm

Don't forget that this bridge is closed this week-end:
As part of the works, the southern portion of the Milligan Street footbridge will be demolished to allow for the operation of a temporary bus lane through the area. The northern portion of the footbridge will be retained to take users over the rail line, while a new temporary ramp will be constructed to bring users down to ground level on the southern side.
To facilitate the demolition and connection of the new ramp, access to the footbridge will be temporarily closed on Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th June. During this closure period, pedestrians and cyclists will be required to divert to the Horseshoe Bridge.

fab at forty

Postby fab at forty » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:12 pm

the new ramp looks even more scary than the existing set up!

i'd highly recommend the horseshoe bridge route - much easier

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:46 pm

I walked over it today and the new section of ramp is much wider than the older section, making it much easier to navigate. One concern is the surface which seems a little slippery in the wet.

Karati

Postby Karati » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:16 pm

heh!

Rode over the bridge this morning. It is covered in rubber matting but didn't feel that slippy.

Over all it's actually easier than the original arrangement!! After all that!

wexford

Postby wexford » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:14 pm

Yep, I really like the new one. It's nice and wide and eliminates two of those annoying barriers. It was a bit wet when I went through on Monday (didn't ride today, delayed reaction to the Kala 50/50 on Sunday!) but the surface seemed fine.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:56 pm

It was slippery when I went over this morning, put my foot down to steady myself around one corner, and it slipped under me. It was raining at the time.

It is a not a bad compromise, though do remember that the bus lane still has to be diverted, so we will be waiting at the crossing in the near future.

It amazes me that they didn't remove that top barrier. As far as I'm aware the top barrier was in place when the original ramp (heading to the west PSP), was in place. This ramp was removed back in 2006'ish, so remove that stupid top barrier.

hondaboy

Postby hondaboy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:40 am

They were painting on an anti-slip coating yesterday when I rode over
2009 Merida Race Lite 904
2008 Avanti Pista
2007 Giant Trance 1
1994 Nashbar Tandem Sold
1980s Raleigh fixie Sold

fixed

Postby fixed » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Still?
They were painting half the path on Friday afternoon.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

michaelp7757

Postby michaelp7757 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:32 pm

New anti-slip coating looks pretty good now that its done.

True test will be later in the week with rain due.

fab at forty

Postby fab at forty » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:19 pm

ok - i take it all back - i rode it this morning and it was fine, in a kind of windy, bendy way!

i will use it in my going to work route, and come back over the horseshoe bridge.

i am sure both bridges will be pleased about that.

:D

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:20 pm

Want to see what the area will look like when the Arena is completed, from a traffic management perspective. Taken from Transcore:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSk4cQyn ... r_embedded[/youtube]

See if you can spot a single bike in this video, or even the dedicated cycle lanes which have been promised on Wellington St. One for motorists, minus one for cyclists as this bridge will disappear in the near future.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:43 pm

rolandp wrote:One for motorists, minus one for cyclists as this bridge will disappear in the near future.
May need to glue the cones for the temporary shared path down permanently !
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:59 am

fab at forty wrote:ok - i take it all back - i rode it this morning and it was fine, in a kind of windy, bendy way!
+1
Went over it yesterday after weeks of avoidance
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:39 am

On the subject of the Perth Arena, Roland has kept up the fight, calling on the Minister of Planning to explain why the Master Plan for the area has not been compliled with ...

Wellington Street to become a grand boulevard with a 14-metre northern promenade, a wider southern footpath, onstreet parking and cycle lanes in a slow-speed environment.

You can read more on Roland's work on this matter at the Bicycle Transport Alliance.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:41 am

Perth Arena has responded on twitter with a photo of a shared path (on the north side apparently)

and of bicycle rakes ...

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:09 pm

and we have Fixed (BTAWA) photos of the bike paths ..

Andrew
Andrew

PortableDave

Postby PortableDave » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:55 pm

Thanks Andrew, any date given when this should be ready by?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:56 am

This is very interesting.
The red line shows the proposed route supplied by the Arena today.
The green line shows the proposed route announced by Minister of Transport for the CBD Transport Plan on 22 April 2012.

Mainroads/DoT provided an update in October 2012 indicating:
Perth to Fremantle PSP – Market Street to Wellington Street
MRWA has completed a design for the replacement section of PSP alongside the Arena from Market Street to Wellington Street. DoT has provided funding for the works from Perth Parking Management Area (PPMA) sources. MRWA expect that the works will be completed by the end of the 2012/13 financial year.

This alligns to the CBD Transport Plan announcement (aka PPMA).

So, do we need two cycling routes around the Arena. Neither route ends up anywhere at this time, so where do we go after we come to the end of these route. The one in red (aka Arena proposal) ends up on a road which takes cars to the underground carpark as well as supports buses to the current/future bus terminal. The one in green (aka PPMA proposal) ends up on Wellington St which is meant to have dedicated cycle paths which haven't been installed.

In addition, Market St PSP will remain closed for an other 6 months whilst PTA move infrastructure, can't find a web page, but copied from an e-mail recieved late in October:
To continue work on the new Fremantle Line tunnel and alignment, a section of the Market Street shared path (PSP) will be closed from week commencing 29 October 2012 to late April 2013.
Currently this section of PSP leads to the Perth Arena site, after which there is no dedicated PSP.

Me, I hop of the PSP around where it joins Market St, ride along Market St to the now opened underground car park at the Arena. Ride through the undergound car park, where there is an other exit on the other side, which takes you to Milligan St - it is basically the direction indicated in Red above, except that you are riding through the underground carpark.

We lost the PSP back in 2006. Hopefully the letter to the Minister of Planning will result in some visability on what cycling infrastructure is being provided.