Arena/PEC rail bridge

wellington_street

Re: Arena/PEC rail bridge

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 16, 2013 4:17 pm

BrownBike wrote:Have to say though, the bus drivers are very courteous at this crossing.
Yep!

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Thu May 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Arena by-pass west entrance roped off this afternoon. From the rail footbridge I couldn't see any reason for it. I diverted via the underground carpark.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:24 am

New Arena by-pass almost finished with raised section for us to cross Market St installed (wish they would do the same thing at the main crossing further west down Market St). This is the section just west of The Arena.

The new section just North of The Arena is more times than not blocked by vehicles. Reported several times to City of Perth.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:34 pm

5pm this evening on the existing Market St section. Westbound cyclists forced to use the road, east bound had to drop down the large kerb into cars in all directions

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:19 pm

The part on the north side of market street looks almost done now - was fully sealed on the weekend from the looks of it. Might just need lines marked.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:22 am

Lines marked today, impressive given the amount of rain. They were installing the 10ft fence late this afternoon.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:20 pm

rolandp wrote: The new section just North of The Arena is more times than not blocked by vehicles. Reported several times to City of Perth.
Worksafe might be better as they are creating a safety hazard. Same with the #$%ing mess at the other end

My evil twin keeps chanting in my ears "deflate the tyres...deflaaate" :twisted:
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:47 am

Email from City Link today:
Milligan Street footbridge diversion

From Wednesday, 24 July part of the Milligan Street footbridge will be removed, and access between Wellington and Roe streets will be via a new route.

Cyclists and pedestrians will be able to access the Roe Street entry/exit point opposite Lake Street.

The route change will allow the Perth City Link Rail Alliance to build a new cover over a section of the Joondalup Line tunnel.
Will be very interesting to see what happens in two weeks when train replacement buses will be operating at the same location as the new exit point for the bridge.

On the subject of cars, yes they are still parking on the shared path, even though I got a response of:
We have forwarded this onto our General Superintendent who will ensure this will be fixed straight away.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:21 pm

rolandp wrote:Email from City Link today:
Milligan Street footbridge diversion

From Wednesday, 24 July part of the Milligan Street footbridge will be removed, and access between Wellington and Roe streets will be via a new route.

Cyclists and pedestrians will be able to access the Roe Street entry/exit point opposite Lake Street.

The route change will allow the Perth City Link Rail Alliance to build a new cover over a section of the Joondalup Line tunnel.
Using this diversion to go home today was interesting. The downhill slope invites speed, and upon entering Roe street the sightlines are dodgy. As I craned my neck and waited for a safe gap, an impatient cyclist pushed pass me and was very nearly taken out by a fast cyclist travelling west.... ... busy angry exchange of words between the two followed....

I hope people on cycles and pedestrians will find a good way to share this piece of infrastructure....
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:24 pm

This one was behind The Arena last Friday:

I stopped to have a chat, but they weren't interested in my concerns, so reported to City of Perth.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:22 pm

I hope no-one was on the Market St path when this car wiped out
http://i.imgur.com/M666e7K.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (photo via reddit)

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:55 pm

View from the PSP:

So given that this is a 50kph location, and travelling at 50kph causes this much damage, does anyone feel safe when crossing Market St, in particular, when we are looking out for traffic from the road, traffic exiting from the two car parks, and traffic on the PSP?

Just last week I 'bumped' into our rep on the Road Safety Council at this location, and commented what a bad intersection this is. Brand new bike path, and no improvement at this location.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:58 pm

nachoman wrote:I hope no-one was on the Market St path when this car wiped out
http://i.imgur.com/M666e7K.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (photo via reddit)
Comments on Reddit here

Andrew
Andrew

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:58 pm

rolandp wrote:View from the PSP:

So given that this is a 50kph location, and travelling at 50kph causes this much damage, does anyone feel safe when crossing Market St, in particular, when we are looking out for traffic from the road, traffic exiting from the two car parks, and traffic on the PSP?

Just last week I 'bumped' into our rep on the Road Safety Council at this location, and commented what a bad intersection this is. Brand new bike path, and no improvement at this location.
I rode past this not long after it happened. Looks like the guy fanged it down the freeway off-ramp and went straight into the concrete barrier, hence the paint all up the fence. Car damage would indicate a pretty hefty smash. Could easily have made a cyclist sandwich. Not good.

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:40 pm

I saw a cyclist getting loaded into an ambulance about 6pm on Tuesday night at the footbridge/Arena area at the bottom of Milligan. I hope all was ok. That is turning into quite a dangerous area - cyclists and pedestrians and cars going every which way!

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:18 pm

Some amusing and cringe-worthy scenes around the Perth Area path this weekend with One Direction in town:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgHnIfIskys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Channel 9)

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:21 am

One Direction fencing remained in place until Thursday:

Closed Car Park Sign placed on shared path yesterday (image doesn't include the guy redirecting traffic, standing near the sign)
There is the Jehovah's Witnesses conference on from 4-Oct for three days, which has added to the car movements at this location, including Market St crossing which I had to walk over yesterday as cars weren't giving way and stopping on the crossing.

Rope hanging on shared path
I tied this up yesterday evening, but why leave it on the shared path in the first place (the rope goes through the wall to the railway side). You can also see the stream of cars attempting to get into the Perth Arena on Market St.

Glad the shared path at this location is working so well.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:52 am

Is the bridge closed again? I didn't see a way in this morning, but maybe I just missed it amongst the roadworks.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:32 pm

mikedufty wrote:Is the bridge closed again? I didn't see a way in this morning, but maybe I just missed it amongst the roadworks.
It was open last Friday as I used it, and according to MainRoad's CBD outages, it is still open.

If you are approaching from the Roe Street end, you do have to know where to enter as there is that diversion in place as well, so you need to know where to get in at the end.

In relation to the PSP nearer to Harbour Town, I'm pleased that they have finally got around to replacing a section of the PSP that they pulled up to put in a new controller box (or similar) for the Fremantle line:
The above is taken of the first attempt to repairs, which was reported to MainRoads earlier this month. Last week it was repatched and much smoother to ride over.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:53 pm

Email from City Link:
Impacts to Roe Street and the PSP until late December 2013

To allow work to progress on building the temporary bus station on Roe Street, until late-December 2013, cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists will experience temporary diversions on Roe Street, and the Principal Shared Pathway (PSP) between Lake Street and Nicks Lane.

Works will involve constructing a designated bus lane on Roe Street, and a new intersection so buses can enter and exit the temporary station. Some works will occur at night to minimise the impact to roads and the PSP.

All work will follow a City of Perth approved noise management plan, which outlines a range of noise control measures.

If you feel there is excessive noise from these works please contact the Community Relations team on 0418 119 187.

Why is this happening?
The next phase of the Perth City Link project is to sink the Wellington Street Bus Station, works are progressing to build a temporary bus station on the existing Perth City Link site, alongside Roe Street.

Traffic management will be in place during the works, and we remind cyclists, pedestrians and drivers to take extra care around the area.

Ramps will be in place at PSP and road intersections to ease the transition over curbs, from the pathway onto the road.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:12 pm

It would be nice if the PSP was diverted behind the bus station - doubt there's any chance of that though?

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:02 pm

The diversion on Roe St is horrible, barely wide enough for one cyclist, let alone a cyclist and a pedestrian, or two cyclists in opposite directions

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:22 pm

nachoman wrote:The diversion on Roe St is horrible, barely wide enough for one cyclist, let alone a cyclist and a pedestrian, or two cyclists in opposite directions
We have asked MRA to widen this diversion. We are not holding our breath for a return mail - all we care about are results :roll:

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Looks like Roe Street is going to get more difficult for a while:

Work will soon begin to build the new underground bus station (Perth Busport), which will include the latest amenities and an innovative dynamic stand-allocation system. This means we must move passengers out of the existing Wellington Street Bus Station (WSBS).
To accommodate people who currently use WSBS, two temporary stations are being built – one on Roe Street, and the other on Wellington Street. This will allow us to maintain bus operations while we are building the new facility.

The Roe Street temporary facility will be operational from Sunday 12 January 2014 and used until mid-2016.

Impacts
The temporary Roe Street facility will result in some changes to the PSP on Roe Street, between William and Milligan streets from Monday December 16.

Cyclists will need to be aware that once the station becomes operational buses will cross the PSP in two locations, opposite Lake Street, where buses will enter and exit the temporary facility (see map). Slow zones will be installed at these locations for the safety of cyclists, pedestrians and buses.
Cyclists will also notice a new merge zone with pedestrians further east on the PSP (opposite Nicks Lane), bus passengers will have access to Roe Street from the station via a gate.

Cyclist are reminded to take extra care, slow down and be mindful of other cyclists, buses and pedestrians.
Perth Busport will be operational in mid-2016, at which time all services will be transferred from the temporary stations into the new permanent facility.

More information
For more information on the broader Bus Project, visit http://www.perthcitylink.wa.gov.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, call 13 62 13 or email businfo@pta.wa.gov.au

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Map of the Roe Street changes here: