WA Bike Network Plan for public release

Re: WA Bike Network Plan for public release

Postby elStado » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:47 am

rolandp wrote:Shared paths were the growing step, we've out-grown them and time for dedicated cycling infrastructure.

+1

There's space for it along a few major routes, especially the Kwinana PSP which is the busiest path and has a lot of conflicts.

I had a brief read through it today at work, but I didn't take in much apart form it all seeming very obvious and using old ABS data that would have been ok to present 4 years ago but is now very much redundant.

In regards to the venue, my guess is that the person organising this had nothing to do with the last round and that no-one even knows of the bike parking issue. Don't give government too much credit that they are purposefully being insolent.. it's more of plain confusion/ignorance! Call them and see if they can arrange another venue (I might do this actually).
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
elStado

Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

by BNA » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:18 am

BNA

Postby CycleSnail » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:18 am

dampier wrote:Just a few questions, Is this open to public submissions, if so how do I go about it? and if possible is there a sample submission letter so I can get an idea of the format and tone.
Thanks

In addition to the feedback possibilities already mentioned, the BTA will be organising at least one public feedback session on a Saturday towards the end of March or more likely in April after the school holidays. This will give people a chance to get a feel for the WABN plan, and some preliminary analysis can be considered.
Visit the Bicycle Transportation Alliance at
http://www.btawa.org.au
CycleSnail

Postby elStado » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:33 pm

CycleSnail wrote:The BTA reports that the WABN Plan will be presented to the public on the 19.3.12 1800 at the Alexander Library.

From the DoT website: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/activetr ... /25673.asp

Public consultation
The draft WABN Plan will be open for public consultation until 17 June 2012.
A copy of the plan can be found above or download the invite to the public information session to be held at on Wednesday, 21 March 2012 at the Department of Transport, 140 William Street Perth.

Feedback on the plan can be provided by:

Online - complete the online questionnaire
Email - [email protected]
Phone - 6551 6000 and ask for a Cycling Infrastructure team member to make comment on the WABN Plan

This event is for the general public, rather than for specific cycle advocacy groups.
elStado

Postby Red Rider » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:56 pm

There's an old saying, 'build it and they will come'. If they keep widening the freeway, more cars will come to clog it up again. Build more cycle paths and rail cars, and commuters will use them.

It's rediculous that they have a solid timetable to widen the Mitchell Fwy, when the PSP along here is screaming out for improvement.
Red Rider

Postby elStado » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:22 pm

Red Rider wrote:There's an old saying, 'build it and they will come'. If they keep widening the freeway, more cars will come to clog it up again. Build more cycle paths and rail cars, and commuters will use them.

The technical term is 'induced demand'. :)
Last edited by elStado on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elStado

Postby fixed » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:38 pm

Proposed $10m yr for active transport
Guaranteed $1bn for watching of sport at Burswood Stadium.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

2010 Planet X Stealth Sram Red; 2007 Giant City Pro; 2005 Orbea Vento; 2002 Giant Upland; 1980-ish Vandeveire fixt
fixed

Postby GregW » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:44 pm

fixed wrote:Proposed $10m yr for active transport
Guaranteed $1bn for watching of sport at Burswood Stadium.

Strange isn't it.
But they will argue they have it right.
You could add another half a billion to that cost....builders and contractors pay large salaries to professional "extras" claims officers"
Sums it up though.....cycling, pedestrians etc is something they need to talk about, write about, bounce about, but do nothing about, because as individuals we are not heard.
How many local councils are making it harder day by day for cyclists and pedestrians etc etc......pinch points, narrower roads, speed humps, paths dug up, paths closed, and councils still marking lanes in door zones.
We have a long way to go to be recognised enough for more money to be allocated......till then we will get fobbed off with reports like this.
GregW

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:35 pm

I like the maths used in this blog posting at Bicycle Perth.

Here is an idea. The modal share for bicycles is 1.6% (2009 figure) and if our aim is to double this to 3.2% then we should have 3.2% of the road budget allocated to bicycles. This is a small percentage, not much to ask for really.

The current Western Australian state budget for roads is $1.2 billion per annum which would mean $38.4 million per annum for bicycles. With this amount we could actually get things moving.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby elStado » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Aushiker wrote:I like the maths used in this blog posting at Bicycle Perth.

Here is an idea. The modal share for bicycles is 1.6% (2009 figure) and if our aim is to double this to 3.2% then we should have 3.2% of the road budget allocated to bicycles. This is a small percentage, not much to ask for really.

The current Western Australian state budget for roads is $1.2 billion per annum which would mean $38.4 million per annum for bicycles. With this amount we could actually get things moving.

Andrew

This was one of my key recommendations in my thesis I wrote last year concerning barriers to cycling in Perth. Why does it seem so rational to me but no governments actually do it?

Proportionate and Strategic Allocation of Funding
If the State and Federal Government are genuinely intent on increasing the amount of utility
cyclists then there must be a solid and consistent annual financial commitment to the
provision, maintenance and upgrades of cycling facilities and infrastructure. Currently the
State Government of Western Australia has only allocated a total of $1 million towards the
Perth Bicycle Network (PBN) Local Government Grants Program for the period of 2012-2013
(Department of Transport 2011b). This funding is available to the 31 local government
authorities within Perth (including the City of Mandurah) in order assist these local
governments to develop bicycle network infrastructure (Department of Transport 2011b).
This amount of funding is insignificant compared to the $1.2 billion in funding allocated by
the State Government for the provision of infrastructure and facilities for motor vehicles for
2011-2012 alone (The Government of Western Australia 2011).

The issue of lack of realistic funding was one of the key reoccurring topics amongst all
participants during the interviews. The reality of the current situation is that the mode share
of cycling across the Perth region will continue to remain minimal unless there is a serious
financial commitment to sustainable and active transport by both State and Federal
Government. One potential approach that could be further investigated would be to
allocate funding in a manner that is proportionate to the mode share percentage of each
mode of transport, and then add additional funding based on the social, environmental and
economic benefits, in addition to State and Federal transport objectives
. This system has the
potential to provide a fair and proportionate level of available funding, therefore allowing
provision of a greater number and higher quality of required cycling facilities.

Spend peanuts, you get peanuts.

I will be going to the public forum on Wednesday as it is a more convenient location for me rather than Alexander library (I work in the same building), does anyone want to share a short list of key discussion points and questions bring to the session? I'll be making my own over the next few days, but suggestions welcome in case I miss anything.
elStado

Postby CycleSnail » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:18 pm

elStado wrote:
I will be going to the public forum on Wednesday as it is a more convenient location for me rather than Alexander library (I work in the same building), does anyone want to share a short list of key discussion points and questions bring to the session? I'll be making my own over the next few days, but suggestions welcome in case I miss anything.

Where and what date is the Wednesday forum?
CycleSnail

Postby elStado » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:55 pm

CycleSnail wrote:
elStado wrote:

Where and what date is the Wednesday forum?

This is the main forum they are advertising on the DoT website:

Public consultation
The draft WABN Plan will be open for public consultation until 17 June 2012.
A copy of the plan can be found above or download the invite to the public information session to be held at on Wednesday, 21 March 2012 at the Department of Transport, 140 William Street Perth.

I printed out a few of these flyers and put them up around my department. Hopefully there's a good turn out to this as there's some tough questions to be answered.
elStado

Postby Easy rider » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:09 am

I like the sound of this bit, but wonder if it will have any real impact on traffic calming designs (esp. assuming any "solutions" are likely to add cost):

"Review of Traffic Management on Local Roads

In recent years, local government activity in implementing traffic management schemes has increased. The main focus has been to improve road safety by slowing motorised traffic and reducing traffic conflict. In some cases, the treatment has been viewed by cyclists as a safety hazard and increasing the conflict between cyclists and motorised traffic.

A working group will be formed with representatives from the Department of Transport, Main Roads, local government and cyclist advocacy groups to review up to 10 examples of traffic management schemes. The review will include a mix of what is seen as best practice and situations of reduced cycling safety, and consider safety aspects for all roads users, in keeping with the state road safety strategy ‘Towards Zero’.

After each treatment has been reviewed in detail, a lessons-learnt document is to be produced highlighting key issues and solutions. Findings should then be discussed to determine if any changes are needed to current standards and guidelines or whether additional training is required for road safety and traffic management practitioners."

I'd suggest the only "training" they would need to produce better designs is to be forced to ride through their own work at peak hour.
Easy rider

Postby rolandp » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:48 pm

rolandp

Postby elStado » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:42 pm

rolandp wrote:One response located here:
Bike plan lacks vision, funding and integration with land use planning
or direct to the PDF response.

Some very good points made in the response. I have some issues with certain Greens policies, however on the topic of transportation they are often bang on the money (more specifically the lack of money for sustainable transport). I really would like to know WT? they were thinking with those horrible, unreadable maps in the WABNP? It makes it look like such an amateur and half baked effort. I made better looking reports and maps when I was a student doing it the night before it was due, let alone having a State Government Department with a full array of resources and trained staff working on it for 4 years..
elStado

Postby CycleSnail » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:22 pm

elStado wrote:
Some very good points made in the response. I have some issues with certain Greens policies, however on the topic of transportation they are often bang on the money

Perhaps they are talking to the right people .... :)
CycleSnail

Postby elStado » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:31 pm

CycleSnail wrote:
elStado wrote:
Some very good points made in the response. I have some issues with certain Greens policies, however on the topic of transportation they are often bang on the money

Perhaps they are talking to the right people .... :)

Most of the time.. here they are preaching to the choir. :D
elStado

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:24 am

Fremantle Mayor Brad Pettit has shared his views on the Western Australian Bicycle Network Plan in the Fremantle Herald, March 17, 2012, page 9. I cannot copy and past the article so here is an image of it.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby elStado » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:40 am

elStado wrote:From the DoT website: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/activetr ... /25673.asp

Seems the content form this page has been dumped?!
elStado

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:02 pm

Bruce Robinson, president, Cyclists' Action "Group", Cottesloe shares his views via letter to inMyCommunity

IN 1993, the Coalition State Government was elected on an election platform that required Main Roads WA and Bikewest to design a network of cycleways for the metropolitan area.
It was also elected to develop a schedule that would see the project completed by the end of the Government's second term in office.

The Perth to Fremantle “Veloway” high-standard cycleway now only gets as far as Grant Street station in Cottesloe, before cyclists are forced to share the road with heavy traffic with only a white line separating them from the cars and trucks.

Had successive governments completed the Perth to Fremantle bike path it is likely that a recent fatal crash might have been avoided.

It would take a snail three months at a snail's pace to get from Perth to Fremantle.

So far, it has taken Main Roads 19 years to get only part of the way.

There are 10 secondary schools along the Perth-Fremantle train line, and many more students would ride to school if the “Veloway” was completed.

As well, cyclists would be a lot safer, away from drink drivers and mobile-phone using motorists.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby blkmcs » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Aushiker wrote:Bruce Robinson, president, Cyclists' Action "Group", ...

When is a "group" not a group?
I've got to hand it to Bruce, he has kept this "group" going for a good many years.
Too old to live, too slow to die.
blkmcs

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:26 pm

blkmcs wrote:

I've got to hand it to Bruce, he has kept this "group" going for a good many years.

I have asked elsewhere about how to join Bruce's group ... I don't expect an answer :)

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby GregW » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:37 pm

Seems to me to be doing more than I see around here.
Buzzy feel good breakfasts, bikes for Africa and charity rides etc etc etc appear to be more important than cycle infrastructure.
Then the 1M rule was demanded in the press, along with an anti motorist theme.....yeh that was going to end well.
I have said before that cycling is not important to councils, government etc etc,.
They have done zilch in 15 years, and now we have another report.....just a re writen report from 8 years ago, with some added information that can be read on this forum.
Yep.....we can be happy with less than $1M a year for WA cycling, and accepting the misuse of those funds by councils.....we can organise another brekky and thank those councils for all their hard work.
Don't know Bruce, but he is having a crack.
GregW

Postby blkmcs » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Aushiker wrote:
blkmcs wrote:

I have asked elsewhere about how to join Bruce's group ... I don't expect an answer :)

Andrew

I used to be a member in 1980/81, it was quite an active group meeting regularly at Bruce's place, not really sure what happened to the group but good to see Bruce still has the passion for the cause.

Mike
Too old to live, too slow to die.
blkmcs

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:15 pm

GregW wrote:Seems to me to be doing more than I see around here.

I guess it depends on what you see as "doing more."

On a personal note I got along to the Bicycle Transport Alliance AGM tonight. Did you get along GregW? At the meeting you would have heard a bit about what they have been doing over the past year; some pretty damn good work for a bunch of volunteers in my view. You can read Fixed's Convenors report in full here but here is one or two matters than stood out to me.

This year has also seen the culmination of a strong advocacy effort by Executive Officer Heinrich Benz with the Road Safety Council, the Royal Automobile Club, the Vulnerable Road Users Consultative Group (hosted by RAC), East Metropolitan Regional Council, and numerous local government authorities – Subiaco, South Perth, Mosman Park, Stirling, Perth, Cambridge, Bassendean and Swan. Early in March 2011 Heinrich met with then new Transport Minister Troy Buswell in a wide ranging discussion of cyclist safety, infrastructure, safe speeds and safe environments.

Heinrich has made presentations to the Road Safety Council, the RAC Board, the RAC Cycling Safety Forum as part of the OLA process, the Asia Pacific Road Safety Conference, and this culminated in the BTA and Heinrich Benz being awarded a special award by the Road Safety Council in recognition of his considered and evidence based research and advocacy. Heinrich also attended the CHOGM community forum and engaged in much networking.

The Bicycle Transport Alliance received an “Outstanding Achievement Award” from the Road Safety Council. “In appreciation of your involvement, contribution and professional commitment to improving road safety in Western Australia”. This is an extremely valuable award, ample recognition of the effort and esteem Heinrich is held by road safety advocates and by reflection BTA is regarded. This is a fantastic step forward for WA oldest peak cycling advocacy organisation.

Heinrich BTW is Cyclesnail, a forum member around here.

I think Heinrich deserves a bloody big THANK YOU for his efforts as does the Bicycle Transport Alliance Board, don't you agree GregW? IN case you don't know Fixed, Kalgrm and RolandP are all Board members of BTA.

More things that the BTA Board has worked on in the past year ...

Just to give a snapshot of some of the issues we have made comment or submissions:

The Metro regional Scheme amendment for the Perth Waterfront.

Perth Airport and gateway WA cycling infrastructure (Roe, Tonkin, Leach, Horrie Miller Dr, Kewdale Rd)

EMRC cycling plan

Roe Highway extension, final path layout (BTA hold a policy position of opposition to Roe Hwy Stage 8 and favour more freight on rail rather than trucks on suburban streets)

Attending Swan Chamber of Commerce, Q & A with Transport Minister.

City of Perth transport forum – CoP remain recalcitrant stakeholders, their bike plan process is suffering from a lack of will within the organisation

Capital City Framjework planning with Dept of Planning

Extension of Bayswater to bassendean PSP and extension to Midland, Guildford rd bridge.

Aberdare Rd removal of cycling lanes

Lake Monger removal of cycle paths and access

Met with Amy Gillett Foundation CEO Travey Gaudry discussed WA and Australian advocacy way forward.

Bike Valet project

Preston Point Rd

Changes to Road Traffic Act Bicycle Regulations – what a complete waste of time and money.

Australian Bicycle Council

Bikeweek Y-Cycle

RAC congestion survey

Kwinana Freeway PSP alterations

WA Bike Network Plan

If all this is not much, maybe you can share what you have being doing so we can recognise your efforts and put into context what BTA has done. Also please do share what the Cyclist Action Group has been doing as well. I haven't been able to find out any information so would be keen to know.

For those interested and keen on supporting advocacy in Western Australia please consider joining the Bicycle TRansport Alliance or making a donation and support the work of Cyclesnail, Fixed, RolandP and others who are working our behalf.

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:17 pm

blkmcs wrote:I used to be a member in 1980/81, it was quite an active group meeting regularly at Bruce's place, not really sure what happened to the group but good to see Bruce still has the passion for the cause.

Thanks Mike. That is the first bit of background I have come across. Would love to know more about what the group is doing now but have not been able to find out anything at all.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aushiker

PreviousNext

Return to Western Australia