Poll on one meter passing distance - go and vote!

Re: Poll on one meter passing distance - go and vote!

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:04 pm

Sorry Jackfrost. I've been shown lacking in my ignorance of the topic yet again :oops:
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

by BNA » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:44 pm

BNA

Postby Jackfrost » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:44 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Sorry Jackfrost. I've been shown lacking in my ignorance of the topic yet again :oops:

Has anyone got any troll pellets?
Jackfrost

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:58 pm

Marty Moose wrote:Its not about 1m at all its about hitting a cyclist which means your closer than 1m and at fault. Having a 1m rule will be difficult to enforce yes but if you are hit there is no argument the driver was under 1m :)

Passing distance depends on the situation. At speed, I would give a lot more, particularly if there is a chance the cyclist might have to swerve to avoid an obstacle. When driving a car past a cyclist, it makes me feel safer to have an extra margin for error. However, at very low speeds, 1m or so can be appropriate, like pulling up at the lights. I would feel comfortable being that close then, of course depending on the circumstances.

That this is an issue just reinforces to me that a lot of drivers simply don't have a clue.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:27 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Marty Moose wrote:Its not about 1m at all its about hitting a cyclist which means your closer than 1m and at fault. Having a 1m rule will be difficult to enforce yes but if you are hit there is no argument the driver was under 1m :)

Passing distance depends on the situation. At speed, I would give a lot more, particularly if there is a chance the cyclist might have to swerve to avoid an obstacle. When driving a car past a cyclist, it makes me feel safer to have an extra margin for error. However, at very low speeds, 1m or so can be appropriate, like pulling up at the lights. I would feel comfortable being that close then, of course depending on the circumstances.

That this is an issue just reinforces to me that a lot of drivers simply don't have a clue.

I'm hearing you casual I'm hearing you :) :) Imagine if the discussion began to address the real issue that a cyclist is another human being sharing a space with other human beings not an inanimate object called a "cyclist ".
Marty Moose

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:55 pm

I really have to read up on this entire subject now. Looks incredibly important and detailed.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:17 am

Marty Moose wrote:I'm hearing you casual I'm hearing you :) :) Imagine if the discussion began to address the real issue that a cyclist is another human being sharing a space with other human beings not an inanimate object called a "cyclist ".

Well said ...

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Previous

Return to Western Australia