C Grades for blokes like me who should be in B
17%
D Grades where they fight like hell not to go to C
28%
E Grades where you'll be till you get promoted to D
22%
No way Jose, crazy Road Racers!!
6%
Maybe, if I can put down the Easter Eggs and get off the couch.
6%

Total votes: 18
wizzfizz

Re: Road Racing 2012 - Peel Districts Cycling Club

Postby wizzfizz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Karati wrote:what grade you planning on riding?
D Grade, I'm 205 and you're 206 it seems 8)

Karati

Postby Karati » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Nice one. Hope it's not pouring rain!

Where did you find that info? Cycling WA site?

Edit: And then he checked his email!! ha ha

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:54 am

Dog Hill E grade report in race report thread http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... 09#p808609

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:44 pm

LOL

C'mon Nick you can't be hiding in the bunch to take the sprint in E grade. This week I expect an awesome effort from you big fella - and a break away on the hills on the back of Wandi is just what's required.

Very quiet race for us blokes in D grade. Pretty strong and large field but everyone was suffering from various types of malaises. We only averaged about 33.5kph and it came down to a big bunch sprint at the end.

Couple of interesting moments when a couple of movements went but basically the bunched chased everything down without too many problems.

Alas Redbull had no legs and had a dib on the cross breeze and got a few metres but had to sit up - nothing in the legs :cry:

Wizzfizz had a burst to breakaway in the back straight of the last lap but that didn't last long either.

This weekend will be more interesting with some short sharp hills in the mix - still no legs :cry: :cry:
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:36 am

After last week's effort, this week I was expecting to be riding on the front, chasing down anybody who tried to escape, hopefully getting an intact bunch to 350m to go, sprinting to victory and to harass you in D grade. Then I rode the Wandi course.

The back straight of Lyon Road has a small lump, De Haer Road to the finish, has another small lump early, but nothing too difficult and then 2km downhill to the finish, hidden around a corner, good for my short sprint. Even the climb up Wandi road is short and sharp. But Bodeman Road is a pain, down, small up then down, then up again for 300m, short false flat, then up some more, quick descent followed by climbing up to Lyon Road.

So depending on who is racing and whether a couple of us behave early on, I expect the bunch to be halved by 2nd time along Bodeman Road, a select group will hit the climb on Bodeman Road the 4th and final time, one rider should attack and I will spend the next 4.8km chasing her to the finish.

Justina if your are listening, the 4th time up Bodeman Road, the base of the big climb is the perfect place to attack and get a good distance on me. The climbs on Lyon & De Haer road are too short and will not give you the separation you need and I should be able to chase back on from there. The 3rd time up Bodeman road is an option, but soloing 13km to the finish is harder than 4.8km.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:30 am

dude, did you come riding with us this morning? LOL

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:33 pm

Redbull wrote:dude, did you come riding with us this morning? LOL
No, went riding with more experienced riders than you.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:14 am

Almost to plan, sat on front, mainly so I could see better, rode hard 2nd time up Bodemore Road to shake things up, 3rd and final time, another rider attacked up Bodemore Road, not who I expected and surprisingly I managed to bridge across to them, the full story in what might my 2nd last E grade race report came be found on my blog or in the BNA race report thread

I say maybe my 2nd last, as I have been told that PDCC has a 3 strikes policy, a win or a 2nd qualifies as a strike. So a win next week, gets me harassing Redbull and Wizzfizz in D grade. That is why I am threatening to take my singlespeed next week, a minor placing should see me stay in E grade for the North Dandalup Handicap, before Serpentine and D grade.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:59 am

Nice ride Nick

The rest of them should have worked a bit harder to ensure that you two didn't get too far up the road - but you were too strong for them on the day. Well done.

D grade was a really good race - wet but good LOL. At the end the main bunch was 8-9 riders pretty evenly matched and ended in a tidy bunch sprint.

Tried a couple of attacks on the hills and managed to get a gap but the legs are still not 100% (though better than last week) and couldn't go on with it. Getting there, a few less kilos and a few more hard trainings, and I'll be back LOL.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:44 pm

So who is racing tomorrow?

No evil plan to avoid D grade, was going to take my singlespeed, so I had to race smarter. But rode DogHill on Monday on it with 20kmh gusting to 30kmh northerly, at 52x17 spun out going done the back straight and struggled to get a decent cadence on the little lump before the start finish and up the front straight, so maybe gears is the way to go.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:25 am

Congrats to wizzfizz for winning D grade today

I finished 2nd in E grade after accidental 28km breakaway in 31km race
race report on BNA race report thread or Doghill race report on my blog

Yes I used gears during the race, but they stopped working on the way home

wizzfizz

Postby wizzfizz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:21 pm

Yes yes, thankyou. I'll stay humble I promise :P

New bike arrived on the Tuesday, but with a rainy week and busy work schedule I was unable to get out until Saturday morning and size everything up. It's been about 7 years since I bought the Avanti, and I was just blown away by the difference from alloy to carbon, and from Tiagra to Ultegra.

Out at Dog Hill on Saturday, and I was causing some mischief at the front a couple times. Thought I could make one stick on the 3rd lap, but that's the thing about D grade: the group will always chase you down immediately rather than gambling on chasing down a tired breakaway. Nevermind, save it for the sprint then.

There's a short rise about 1500m from the finish line, and Tom made a move on the outside. I thought he was just trying to get a better position for the sprint, but apparently everyone else thought he was making a break for it - and off we go! I had a good train of riders in front of me, and I start slipping by them one by one as they tire out. 300m to go and there's only Martin in front of me. He knows I'm there, and is constantly looking for me each side. I catch and pass with 100m to go and solo to the line for the win.

So onto next weekend! North Dandalup Handicap is approx 50km for all grades. I've got the Pickering Brook series the next day so I'm undecided which race to save myself for :?:

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:18 am

Well Saturdays handicap race was fun :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm still looking for my foo foo valve somewhere along Dell Park Road.

madrapper

Postby madrapper » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:51 am

Oh I'm sure I must of picked it up,... after rolling over in last place! Found the going a bit tough & I think the handicapper reckons I'm a better rider than I am! All good fun though :)
Cheers,
Dave

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Well the handicappers got it right for me, 21st out of 42. Got pipped by a couple of B graders in the last 1km of so, when I was catching the guy in front at 60kmh

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:50 am

Hey guys, I've finally purchased a license and will be attending the road race this Saturday in E grade! I have never raced before and am anxiously looking forward to it. I will be the 'new guy' on the black CAAD10 so say hello.

Matt

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:06 pm

So who is racing in the (likely) rain tomorrow?

Looks like I will be racing D grade, given my handicap from last week and result (plus results from previous 3 weeks of racing E grade)

wizzfizz

Postby wizzfizz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:37 pm

You shouldn't have any problems keeping up with D grade Nick, it's just the winning which gets harder :P I'm starting to risk a promotion to C grade myself!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:40 pm

wizzfizz wrote:You shouldn't have any problems keeping up with D grade Nick ...
Well maybe most weeks, this Saturday is different. I have not recovered from last Saturday, my thighs (usually it is my calves) have been in pain all week, even struggled with today's ride to work.

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:27 pm

Well my first race today in E grade and it was an eventful one ! 5km in someone at the front touched wheels and all but 2 of us went down at about 37kmph! Luckily I manage to avoid it but two people required ambulances (one bloke with a severe concussion and a lady with possible broken ribs). Hope everyone is okay.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:31 am

cant_stop sorry for not saying hello, way too rushed today. Will do in a fortnight's time at DogHill.

That was the first crash in E grade this season. I rode all previous races and never any concerns or incidents.

My race report of D in race report thread or my blog

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:52 am

I enjoy your race reports nick - one of the reasons I bit the bullet and signed up to race. E grade was faster than I expected, we were averaging about 35 before the crash so I'm going to have to work on increasing my ave speed!

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:04 am

anyone know the avg speeds are for grade e?
Cervelo 2012 R5 VWD SRAM Red
TimeTrials Felt B12
Northern Beaches Cycling Facebook

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:00 pm

hanzao wrote:anyone know the avg speeds are for grade e?
Between 30 and 33kmph depending on the group and course I am told. Of course it is easier to ride at higher speeds when in a group.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:55 pm

cant_stop wrote:E grade was faster than I expected, we were averaging about 35 before the crash so I'm going to have to work on increasing my ave speed!
That is faster than I would of expected for E Grade, It is not unusual for short sections of a race in E grade to be ridden at that speed when the pack are chasing a break or somebody is putting on the pain, but not for a whole lap.
hanzao wrote:anyone know the avg speeds are for grade e?
32 +/-2 kmh depending on the circuit, the weather and who is riding.

PDCC E Grade races this year (until yesterday)
http://app.strava.com/rides/7090609 32.6 Serpentine 21st April, two riders got away, couple of the older more experienced riders kept tempo/chase, I just stayed on back until sprint.
http://app.strava.com/rides/7893316 33.4 Nambeelup 5th May, biggest group of year, a few riders kept the pace up, I was too aggressive, faded at end.
http://app.strava.com/rides/8846881 31.8 Serpentine 19th May, I dished pain 1st lap, group surged and slowed next two, did too much work last 5kms and go overrun in sprint.
http://app.strava.com/rides/10398553 30.7 Doghill 9th June, we just circulated, nobody made the pace, I launched sprint in right spot for me and won
http://app.strava.com/rides/10927387 32.0 Wandi 16th June, wet, lumpy and shortened race. I rode hard, caused pain, was in break of 2, lost by 2/100th of second.
http://app.strava.com/rides/11509837 33.0 Doghill 23th June, got off the front after 4kms, solo for about 10km, 2 man breakaway for final 16km, got done in the sprint, finished 90 seconds clear of bunch.

Seriously if you can ride for an hour with a group on the flat with 32kmh average (and it does not matter if you don't ride on front) you can race E Grade with PDCC and finish in the bunch or better.

If you don't normally group ride, but can keep an average close to 30kmh for an hour on the flat, you can race E Grade with PDCC and finish in the bunch or better.

If you have good bike handling skills, ie cornering and also confident in riding in a bunch, you do not even need that.