[OT] Digital Set Top Boxes

[OT] Digital Set Top Boxes

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:34 pm

G'day

My Nextwave digital set top box has decided it does not want to get the ABC or SBS anymore, well most days anyway. It is an older box, so I guess it has had its day.

What I am looking for is recommendations on boxes that those in Perth have found work well picking up the ABC and SBS in Perth.

Thanks
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

by BNA » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:34 pm

BNA

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:34 pm

I think it depends more on your antenna doesn't it? Mine is a cheapy from Dick Smith Electronics and it works fine.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:38 pm

Kalgrm wrote:I think it depends more on your antenna doesn't it? Mine is a cheapy from Dick Smith Electronics and it works fine.

Don't know. It has been working fine for a couple of years and now playing up. Still gets the commercials okay.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Pushy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:49 pm

I have a similar problem with the el cheapo Digicrystal PVR. SBS tends to be a bit flaky but ABC and ad TV is rock solid. Yet the HD tuner on the plasma is rock solid across all stations. Get a HD stb there are some great docos on those stations. Can't actually say I know which is good. Have you tried to retune all the stations?
Pushy

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:02 pm

We don't have an issue with the Sony. It picks up ABC much better than the normal aerial, so goodness knows what's going on in there. We've had it about 2 years now so models are of no use, in fact you wouldn't even be able to buy the same specs anymore.

You could always trade in the tv for one with a built in tuna...or tuner if you like as they smell less :D

Seriously, we have a Sony TV too and neither has skipped a beat. Wouldn't get anything LG again as hard disk recorder is one and its been trouble since an early age. Don't know if you have one, but you can now get STB's with a built in disk which may be worthwhile if you don't have one. Wouldn't be without one.
moosterbounce

Return to Western Australia