Perth to Freo PSP goings on

hiflange

Perth to Freo PSP goings on

Postby hiflange » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Anyone else notice all the survey markers between shenton station and loch st and south of grant st station? Surveyors paint markings through the Loch st station carpark too.

PSP upgrade imminent or just wishful thinking?

wexford

Re: Perth to Freo PSP goings on

Postby wexford » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:03 pm

I didn't notice anything this morning...but then again I was in a group of about 20 and it was 6:30am :)

Something to look out for, certainly. When I ride along here alone I stay off the road where possible so a PSP link would be fantastic.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:09 pm

I rode it this morning but didn't notice! The money is available, the planning is done, so there's no reason it shouldn't be getting under way. :)

fixed

Postby fixed » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:34 am

There are surveyors pegs along Railway Pde from the PSP at Shenton College, past the Karrakatta flustercuck through to Loch St station nr Claremont Showgrounds.
I dont know if it specifically PSP related, will inquire
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:12 pm

There are more south of Grant St. I get so focussed on the traffic once I'm on Curtin Avenue that I keep forgetting to check for more west of Eric St.

Adjacent to Karrakatta;

Adjacent to Loch St Station, "LV" painted by the lines on the carpark;

Other goings on... I've been riding home more and more in the dark. I've been astonished at how many lights were out between Loch St and Swanbourne Stations, not just the one or two I remember from winters past but whole stretches including the relatively new bollard lights west of Claremont. Reported them all via NeatStreets and Black Spot but it was easily a couple of weeks before anything happened. The bollard lights are on again - a mixed blessing as they shine right in your eyes! I can't imagine who thought they'd be a good idea, I mean you can't see them ever being approved for roads with cars and trucks on - why on Earth would anybody think they'd be OK for bikes!?! The rest of the lights I reported as out are still out, which is pathetic, lame and not good enough. I am however in receipt of a letter from Hon Troy Buswell promising to look into it :?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:04 am

RobertFrith wrote:Other goings on... I've been riding home more and more in the dark. I've been astonished at how many lights were out between Loch St and Swanbourne Stations, not just the one or two I remember from winters past but whole stretches including the relatively new bollard lights west of Claremont. Reported them all via NeatStreets and Black Spot but it was easily a couple of weeks before anything happened. The bollard lights are on again - a mixed blessing as they shine right in your eyes! I can't imagine who thought they'd be a good idea, I mean you can't see them ever being approved for roads with cars and trucks on - why on Earth would anybody think they'd be OK for bikes!?!
I had been under the impression that the new lights had been turned off because of their impact on train drivers ... will be interesting to see if they stay on long.

Andrew
Andrew

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Aushiker wrote:I had been under the impression that the new lights had been turned off because of their impact on train drivers ... will be interesting to see if they stay on long.
Where did you hear that? Can't find any reference on the internet, curious to know more. I can't get over what a dumb stupid tragic waste of money those bolllard lights are. I mean they really are counterproductive. I wanna rattle someone's cage about them. Is Town of Claremont responsible? (It'd be sad if they were because they do seem to have exhibited an interest in good cycle planning).

Oh yeah, no survey markers past Eric St FWIW

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:24 pm

RobertFrith wrote:
Aushiker wrote:I had been under the impression that the new lights had been turned off because of their impact on train drivers ... will be interesting to see if they stay on long.
Where did you hear that?
Bruce Robinson, Cycle Action Group. Reliability? No idea. WGR123 might have an idea.

Andrew
Andrew

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:54 pm

Bruce is/was the CTA's safety officer, I would think totally reliable.

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:27 pm

Aushiker wrote:
RobertFrith wrote:
Where did you hear that?
Bruce Robinson, Cycle Action Group. Reliability? No idea. WGR123 might have an idea.

Andrew
Ah yes well those lights are damn bright at night and probably not the best choice of lighting that could have been considered.
From a drivers point of view - I believe that the brightness of the lights has been reported as an issue by one driver that i am aware of after there was some conversation with the OH&S rep.

As far as operating a train is concerned - the lights are very bright and it does make eyes tired, adjusting from darkness to such brightness ( you do have to avert ur eyes away ), however as the lights are white, they do not present an issue with regard to signal sighting as we are looking for the traditional Red Yellow & Greens for safe operation and these stand out against the white.
The OH&S rep does not consider it a problem, however it may be being looked into.

Whilst cycling past there I have noticed that there has been one or two of the lenses smashed by the ferals of the area so maybe there is an electrical safety issue once the bulbs are smashed causing them to be turned off. I dont think it has anything to do with the rail operations.
Malvern Star Oppy A4 Operator

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:38 pm

fixed wrote:There are surveyors pegs along Railway Pde from the PSP at Shenton College, past the Karrakatta flustercuck through to Loch St station nr Claremont Showgrounds.
I dont know if it specifically PSP related, will inquire
Well to perhaps add to the puzzle - there is also a lot of surveyors pegs / little flags running alongside the railway from the Karrakatta side of the Soils/Lumberyard (whatever it is)up to and behind the yard on the rail side through to the Bus bridge where there is a tunnel already in place for presumably a cycleway, then out on the shenton park side up to the existing pathway. Of course you can only see these from the train as I do.
There has been lots of surveyors out and about along the railway in recent times - so many so that its hard to keep track of what they may be up to.

I have to say it would be nice to see this progressed as a cycleway but I do have to wonder if there is sufficent clearances behind the Soils/Lumberyard and the railway to be able to push the cycleway thru there - it does seem rather close.

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:59 pm

RobertFrith wrote:
Where did you hear that? Can't find any reference on the internet, curious to know more. I can't get over what a dumb stupid tragic waste of money those bolllard lights are. I mean they really are counterproductive. I wanna rattle someone's cage about them. Is Town of Claremont responsible? (It'd be sad if they were because they do seem to have exhibited an interest in good cycle planning).

Oh yeah, no survey markers past Eric St FWIW
All the lights were on when I worked thru there last night except maybe one or 2 damaged ones.
The surveyors markers seem to run all the way from Loch st to Shenton Park.

88mph

Postby 88mph » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:42 am

Have noticed some activity in the last week between Grant St Station and Cottesloe Station.

Catching the train this morning I noticed a number of surveyor pegs and fresh spray paint markings from the end of the bike path/carpark at Cottesloe Station alongside the rail, then under the Eric St traffic bridge all the way to Grant St Station.

Looks very promising :D

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:18 pm

88mph wrote:Have noticed some activity in the last week between Grant St Station and Cottesloe Station.
[uel=http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/editio ... /paper.pdf]The Post[/url] is reporting that this section may get built.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:51 pm

text from the Post article;
The missing section of the shared path between Perth and Grant Street, Cottesloe, could soon be installed.
The path, for cyclists and pedes- trians, follows the railway line.
But a 1.9km section is missing between Shenton Park station and the Loch Street station.
Main Roads WA expects to carry out exploratory work soon on the road and rail reserve between the two stations as part of plans to connect the path’s existing sections.
It has advertised for a private company to carry out the work.
Main Roads surveyed the area in 2010 to help design the missing path section.
In May, Transport Minister Troy Buswell said $20 million would be made available over two years for works on the WA Bicycle Network Plan 2012-21.
A Perth to Fremantle path is part of the proposed network. Jeremy Murray, CEO of Subiaco based Bicycling WA, said the organisation had advocated for the completion of the missing 1.9km section for at least the past three years. “Recent funding announcements by the state government now mean the work can be carried out this section is a relatively simple process and should be very cost- effective when considering the other projects outlined in the WA Bicycle Network Plan.”
Mr Murray said that when the route was complete between the Perth CBD and Fremantle, it would attract new riders and reduce congestion on the road network and public transport system. He said a continuous path would take riders off the roads entirely, avoiding dangerous roads like Curtin Avenue. “Riders are forced on to the road, which narrows and climbs, mak- ing it relatively unsafe for them, particularly the less experienced,” he said. “This will be a very costly and complicated exercise, but vital for rider safety. “It will also complete a link between our two major centres – Perth and Fremantle and has potential to impact on recreational riding, commuter transport and also tourism.”
According to Bicycling WA, about 12,000 riders a month use what there is of the path.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:57 pm

Today's Post has an article headed "Free Ride for Nedlands Council". Pretty much sums it up! - Nedlands Council has sat firmly on it's thumbs on bike paths and now state govt. is going to do it. I think it's quite telling that the Perth to Freo PSP stops where it leaves Subiaco and restarts where it enters Claremont. (Not to mention the "erased" bike symbols around Birdwood Pde).

If the article is to be believed, Neddies inaction has caused a loss of patience on the part of Main Roads and they're are stepping in and doing it. In actual fact there's not a lot more that Main Roads can do to alleviate western 'burbs traffic woes. I suspect Barnett and Marmion wouldn't be adverse to spending a bit here and their electorates in the lead up to March '12 either. They're not exactly flavour of the month in their home seats.

A bike and walking path between Shenton Park and Loch Street stations was a top priority, Main Roads staffer Colin Ward told Nedlands councillors on Tuesday.
Work would start early next year, he said. The 2km of shared use path will not cost Nedlands council a cent. Gabriela Poezyn, the council’s strategic planning manager, said: “It is a real windfall for the city that this project is going to be fully funded.”
Mr Ward, Main Roads’ pedestrian and cycling co- ordinator, said the department would also look after the path maintenance. The number of people using the path from Perth to Fremantle was growing by about 8% a year. Last year more than 277,000 people used it. “The numbers are grow- ing at a much greater rate than car growth,” Mr Ward said.
Some trees near Karrakatta station and the Stubbs Terrace underpass would have go to level the path and prevent cyclists building up excessive speed down hills, he said. Lighting would be installed. Rumble strips, like those used in Subiaco, would be included to alert riders to slow down near the stations.
The land was controlled by the Public Transport Authority and Nedlands council but Main Roads would organise the work, he told a briefing meeting for councillors. Councillor Bill Hassell said he had written and talked to Premier Colin Barnett about the need for the path.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:52 am

RobertFrith wrote:If the article is to be believed, Neddies inaction has caused a loss of patience on the part of Main Roads and they're are stepping in and doing it. In actual fact there's not a lot more that Main Roads can do to alleviate western 'burbs traffic woes. I suspect Barnett and Marmion wouldn't be adverse to spending a bit here and their electorates in the lead up to March '12 either. They're not exactly flavour of the month in their home seats.
At least something is happening and well done to Main Roads from getting it happening. Now we just need to get the Grant Street to Fremantle section sorted as well.

Andrew
Andrew

88mph

Postby 88mph » Mon May 06, 2013 10:52 am

Fresh paint and marker pegs have hit the ground from Cottesloe Station to Victoria Street Station in the last 2 weeks.

This means that Grant Street to Victoria Street has now been pegged and surveyed......

Hopefully earthworks soon :)

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon May 06, 2013 11:00 pm

You reckon? I stopped and had a read of one of the markers and it seemed more like it had to do with comms. I'd love that path to be built and I know it was an election promise but I'm no longer holding my breath

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue May 07, 2013 12:04 am

88mph wrote:This means that Grant Street to Victoria Street has now been pegged and surveyed......
Below image is from Sep-2012 at Civic Pl, Stirling, which this bridge is scheduled to be replaced as part of the Stirling Alliance. It is a shocker as it is too narrow, and from the east has a bad incline:

7 months later, nothing and I contacted City of Stirling at the time who didn't know what the markers were for.

88mph

Postby 88mph » Tue May 07, 2013 10:14 am

RobertFrith wrote:You reckon? I stopped and had a read of one of the markers and it seemed more like it had to do with comms. I'd love that path to be built and I know it was an election promise but I'm no longer holding my breath
I reckon/hope it is. From the train it can be seen better, pegs along the train line in the same fashion that we saw around Grant St.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu May 30, 2013 12:33 am

Works adjacent to Mosman Park Station. Still not clear (to me at least) what's going on. These were shot on Sunday, it's been bitumenised now

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 30, 2013 7:54 am

RobertFrith wrote:Works adjacent to Mosman Park Station. Still not clear (to me at least) what's going on. These were shot on Sunday, it's been bitumenised now
I saw that yesterday. Is there a right turning point there? That was the only thing I could think of as being a reason.

Andrew
Andrew

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu May 30, 2013 1:56 pm

You know, I reckon they're going to put in a median strip to improve pedestrian safety for people accessing the station. There's no significant right turn there and the painted lane for bikes is pretty much the same from Eric St all the way to Tydeman Road. Probably too much to hope for for a set of pedestrian lights there..

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:31 pm

It's two new pedestrian crossings closer to the station than the existing one down by Salvado Road.

In other news The Post Newspaper has a front page story this week about there being no provision for a cycle lane in Main Road's plans for the Curtin Avenue re-alignment.

from the PDF edition of the Post

Bike path left off Barnett Boulevard
A new beach road replacingCurtin Avenue where cyclist Tim Anderson was killed at Leighton by a hit-run driver has no cycle path.
The road design also shows no beach parking upgrades or beach parking access, it was revealed this week. Cottesloe MP and Premier Colin Barnett announced the new $40 million road in the heat of this year’s election campaign. It will run close to the rail-way line and behind Beehive Montessori school instead of in front of it. But when Main Roads sent the plans to Cottesloe council, staff noticed vital features were missing. In addition, there was no detail on how the new road will connect to the roundabout at its northern end, on the corner of Curtin Avenue and Marine Parade. This is complicated by a long-term tunnel option connecting Wellington Street in Mosman Park and Marine Parade. The new road will be a wide, single lane in each direction with unsealed shoulders, but with no“principal shared path”. Main Roads will spend $20 million this financial year on data collection, survey and design. In the following two years the rest of the money will be spent on construction. “The project was promised before the state election,” council staff reported this week. “Main Roads staff do not know why this section has been funded before other sections. ”Lack of a “shared path” was highlighted after Mr Anderson (26) was killed by a hit-and-run driver on the Curtin Avenue road shoulder in March last year. Cottesloe’s Bike Plan Working Group discussed the issue and said that the opportunity should be taken to emphasise to Mr Barnett and Transport Minister Tory Buswell that a new path should be part of the new road. This would be at a lower cost that a stand-alone build and could include the best design features.The committee noted that no solution had been proposed to improve the lot of cyclists at Leighton since Mr Anderson’s death. The council should write to Mr Barnett, Mr Buswell and the Commissioner of Main Roads to request the missing part of the shared path be included in the design and construction of the new road, the council committee recommended.