Perth to Freo PSP goings on

jaseyjase

Re: Perth to Freo PSP goings on

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:23 pm

Yep, fellow forumer Vinski and i used this path last night, from Subi all the way down. Lights wernt workng still, but nice to be on a new path all the way

south westerly wasnt so nice though!

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:41 pm

What are the plans beyond Grant Street into Freo ? Guessing nothing for now.

--Rusty

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Minister announced that Grant St to Victoria St would be built in 2 stages over the next 4 years:
https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/P ... twork.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

billy70

Postby billy70 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:09 am

This is a really nice path now and makes it safer for all. For me, the real benefit is for kids and those with kids. The segregation from vehicles hopefully encourages more and more people of all ages in this area to ride.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:15 pm

wellington_street wrote:Minister announced that Grant St to Victoria St would be built in 2 stages over the next 4 years:
https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/P ... twork.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pfft. Minister announces a) stuff already finished and b)stuff that's two years after the next election => fairy tales

This minister (like many others) has announced all sorts of stuff over the years (Max anyone). Little of which has been built. Except for freeways & Barnett's various follies.

I'm not betting on that until I see contracts let and dirt pushers pushing dirt.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:30 am

Can't believe that it's been two and a bit years since anything happened on this route..

There's a by election for Cottesloe brought about by the retirement of Colin Barnett. Finishing the shared path south of Grant St is once again top of voters' wishlists and polls promise list.

Mad Roads Dept are rebuilding the Ashton St Bridge (between Loch St and Showgrounds). Apparently this requires the removal of every bit of vegetation within view of the site office :-(
They have their sights set on the bridge in Swanbourne next. An architect friend is agitating for some proper planning to occur prior to work commencing. As it stands MRD are simply going to impose their idea of a good thing.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:11 pm

There is an opinion piece on WA Today from a Cottesloe Councillor urging for the completion of the Perth to Freo PSP/additional bike routes.

The opinion piece is underwhelming but at least someone is trying.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Scott_C wrote:... but at least someone is trying.
Cr. Sadler is also on the BWA Advocacy and Campaigning Advisory Group(ACAG)

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:53 am

This week's Post has two articles and a letter which all reference the inadequacy of bike infrastructure in Cottesloe. It really is now the most recalcitrant council between Perth and Freo in this regard. Nedlands runs a very close second.

Michael Thomas, Independent, ran in the recent by election called following Colin Barnett's departure. In a field of seven candidates he did't get many votes but he has done us the great favour of leaving his campaign banner up at the termination of the shared path at Grant St.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:26 pm

RobertFrith wrote:This week's Post has two articles and a letter which all reference the inadequacy of bike infrastructure in Cottesloe.
This week's Post has a front page article and a letter which all reference the inadequacy of bike infrastructure in Cottesloe.

Nice letter, Mr Frith. :D

The article claims the PSP will get finished, (only twenty years late). But the presence and vote catching of the independent seems to have had an impact.

While the "you'll never get elected" might be true, it seems that the single issue (cycling) candidate has raised awareness amongst the candidates of all stripes

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:27 am

Yep, Pretty amazing front page huh?
Still I'll believe it the I see it! Only a couple of years ago when I wrote to my local member (then Colin Barnett) about this issue he promised it would be built by 2023.
Page 84 has the fine print; the path south of Victoria St is hard work. No doubt it's mired in the re-alignment of Curtin Ave and the rehabilitation of the Leighton Marshalling Yards. That we were promised more than a decade and a half ago.

For those that don't get the Post;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:46 pm

RobertFrith wrote:Yep, Pretty amazing front page huh?
Still I'll believe it the I see it! Only a couple of years ago when I wrote to my local member (then Colin Barnett) about this issue he promised it would be built by 2023.
Page 84 has the fine print; the path south of Victoria St is hard work. No doubt it's mired in the re-alignment of Curtin Ave and the rehabilitation of the Leighton Marshalling Yards. That we were promised more than a decade and a half ago.
Yes good news and oh well done on getting your letter published as well.

Andrew

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:37 pm

Another meeting between DoT (Michelle Prior and Craig Wooldridge) and councillors from Perth to Port Bike and Walk (Kat Main & ?) reported in The Post today (David Cohen, p34, 2 June 20180.)

Cost noted at $18.7M for 4.5km x 4m - or about $1000 per square meter.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:15 pm

Andrew

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:13 pm

A bit over a week ago, a few days before Cott council was due to vote on acceptance of the Dept. of Transport / Mad Roads Dept. plan for the cycle path from Grant St to Jarrad St it emerged that it involved the removal of 48 trees. The news was rightfully accompanied by a howl of objection from locals and it was standing room only at the council meeting. A couple people spoke in favour of ploughing ahead but most urged council to send DoT/MRD back to the drawing board.

Council ultimately voted to approve the path with conditions attached. The Post subsequently ran a story about council approval, no mention of conditions and lots of mentions trees to be lost :-(

You really have to wonder how a plan this badly flawed could make it through two government departments and a council officer. Then again...maybe you don't.

Oh yeah, the other news... the path that was going be complete by the end of 2018 will now be complete to Victoria St by the end of 2019!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:35 pm

Well, Main roads have announced that construction is due to commence in December 2018, with completion anticipated by June 2019

We get 2.8km from the existing end at Grant St Station to Victoria St Station.

The map of the proposed path (a rather large PDF)

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:21 pm

Are they graded crossings? Hard to tell as each road crossing has lots of yellow, and can't work out what it means.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:53 pm

My better half went on the Council/DoT/MRD show and tell walk on Wednesday. It sounds like they're still working out a lot of the detail. The crossing at Eric St will go under the bridge. I can't see the crossings at Jarrad, Salvado and Victoria Streets being grade separated but have emailed Shaun Kan, Manager Engineering Services Town of Cottesloe, to see what they have planned. At similar crossings out on the Midland PSP path users are protected by traffic lights. There are traffic lights at Victoria St and Stirling Highway and the long wait for cars on Victoria St means that crossing there would be pretty safe. Jarrad and Salvado could be quite dangerous though.

The Ashton St Bridge path reopened a few weeks ago. Pretty much the same as it was before but with less shade since Main Roads removed virtually every last bit of vegetation prior to coming works :-(

A couple of days ago I passed two bloke doing repairs on the bollard lights between Claremont and Swanbourne.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:21 pm

Andrew

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:45 pm

We have an announcement of imminent construction, "to be completed in 2019" according to the announcement (which contradicts the 2019-2020 date in the documentation...)

https://project.mainroads.wa.gov.au/hom ... fault.aspx

Teslik

Postby Teslik » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:08 pm

So the majority of the path is open. Hell of a lot better than being on the road. Still had cones on the path at Salvado st yesterday but should be fully open very soon

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Teslik wrote:So the majority of the path is open. Hell of a lot better than being on the road. Still had cones on the path at Salvado st yesterday but should be fully open very soon
Cool, it was looking desperately close to completion the other day so I'll have to have another look!

craigg

Postby craigg » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:42 pm

I really hope they're going to retain the existing marked shoulder on Curtin Ave. The PSP is great for recreational riders but is not so good for all the bunch rides that use Curtin Ave.

Unfortunately I suspect the existence of the PSP is going to be used as an excuse for some drivers to abuse those that elect to stay on Curtin Ave :(

Craig

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:28 pm

The path extension was apparently officially opened yesterday:
https://www.communitynews.com.au/wester ... cottesloe/
(article contains a great photo of the Transport Minister apparently riding on the wrong side of the path with an improperly secured helmet).

The article also notes that there is insufficient give way signage at the road crossings adjacent to the level crossings so be on the lookout.

wexford

Postby wexford » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:30 am

craigg wrote:Unfortunately I suspect the existence of the PSP is going to be used as an excuse for some drivers to abuse those that elect to stay on Curtin Ave :(
It already is, going by the Facebook post.
"Why bother, f(*&@ing cyclists will still ride on the road anyway"

I had a ride along the extension a couple of days ago. It levels out the small rollers on Curtin Ave nicely which will be a blessing for recreational riders, and there's one intersection which is now an underpass. Hard to say which I prefer...the road offers efforts (occasional gradient and "chase the cars") but the stop-start from the traffic lights are a pain. I'll probably use the path.