Perth to Freo PSP goings on

Re: Perth to Freo PSP goings on

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks for the update Rob. That is not looking good at all :(

Any BicyclingWA members here? Maybe you could could contact them and ask what they are going to do to try and get his approach changed.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

by BNA » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:17 pm

BNA

Postby CycleSnail » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:17 pm

It is my understanding that the existing road stays and be available to people on bicycles
Visit the Bicycle Transportation Alliance at
http://www.btawa.org.au
CycleSnail

Postby RobertFrith » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Repurposing existing infrastructure sounds reasonable I guess, even attractive. The devil will be in the detail no doubt. Seems odd that the Cottesloe council working group wouldn't be aware of it. Do you have any reference for this plan Heinrich?
Last edited by RobertFrith on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobertFrith

Postby CycleSnail » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:56 pm

.... sorry, it came up in conversation with a politician .... so how much truth is in it I do not know.....
CycleSnail

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:19 pm

CycleSnail wrote:It is my understanding that the existing road stays and be available to people on bicycles

The discussion prior to the election was the road stayed as an access road to the beach ... cannot see it suddenly becoming a cycle path. Furthermore there still needs to be access to the carparks and beach anyway.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:32 pm

An updated from Dwight our friendly traffic engineer at City of Fremantle.

Dwight had a chat to Main Roads WA and he advises that the "facts are" as follows:

* Very basic design was shown with a cross section of the road and alignment
* There is a 5 metre reserve set aside for cycling facilities in the cross section via extra wide sealed shoulders
* No confirmation on whether the cycle facilities will be off road or on road (a dedicated off road would be ideal).

from a previous meeting involving Cottesloe, Mosman and Fremantle with MRWA, the preliminary design should be completed by July next year. The interim period should see additional stakeholder engagement (LGA's).

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:19 am

Seeing that road would become solely a road for beach access, it could reasonable run at 30 kmh ... at that speed it does not matter if there are painted cycle lines or seperate facilities.
CycleSnail

Postby RobertFrith » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Could someone please remind me when it was I stood on Leighton Beach, along with 10,000 other people, protesting the suburb that then deputy premier Barnett wanted to roll out? Oh yeah, that's right, it was 1999. The WA Government seems to have managed flogging the residential component of the marshalling yards and there's this masterplan for the rest that was published in 2007. It even has some road profiles :D
What on Earth is the holdup??
RobertFrith

Postby 88mph » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:55 am

RobertFrith wrote:Could someone please remind me when it was I stood on Leighton Beach, along with 10,000 other people, protesting the suburb that then deputy premier Barnett wanted to roll out? Oh yeah, that's right, it was 1999. The WA Government seems to have managed flogging the residential component of the marshalling yards and there's this masterplan for the rest that was published in 2007. It even has some road profiles :D
What on Earth is the holdup??

Nice to see that stage 1 of that master plan was followed. What was delivered was a great start to the project, and it's truly a great addition to the area. It's just a shame the apartments were built during the height of the property boom and still haven't (all) sold due to unrealistic prices.

I suspect the major holdup may center around the failed property sales and the still vacant construction site following the GFC. The state government probably want to see stage 1 sold out before releasing stage 2 and 3 etc.

As for using the redundant road as our PSP, I think this option is not going to work - look at what happened to the previous road alignment (none of us use the old road at the moment.
88mph

Postby RobertFrith » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:44 pm

This gets a bit off topic...

Friday night is Post Newspapers night in this household! I kinda sorta thought someone from some arm of government, be it Main Roads, Colon's office, Cott Council, might have maybe bothered to respond to what was front page news last week. Nothing doing I'm afraid.

The Post does however have on p11 a report on the next venture to turn a dollar on the beachfront - graciously the footpath between the ocean and this restaurant will remain in place (though with somewhat reduced visibility!)

The restaurant will be built in the carpark across the road from the Montessori School. Hard to imagine why Mosman Park "invited expressions of interest to develop the land in 2004" but as I recall MP were ploughing their own furrow at that period in their history...

http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/editio ... /paper.pdf

After nine years of negotiations, Denis Marshall’s company, Cliveden, will get 1603sq.m of land overlooking Mosman beach to build a restaurant. The development will include public changerooms, toilets and bicycle racks. On Tuesday night, Mosman Park council agreed to grant Cliveden a 21 year lease on land in Mosman Beach Reserve, with an option for another 10 years.
The council invited expressions of interest to develop the land in June, 2004, and accepted Cliveden’s proposal in May the following year. On July 3 this year, Cliveden asked to have the boundaries changed because a Water Corporation easement prevented a 4m strip of land on Curtin Avenue from being used and the ocean side was too steep and expensive to build on.
The eastern boundary will now be extended to 46m and the western boundary to 66m, giving Cliveden a total of 1603sq.m of land.
Four parking bays will be swallowed up by development, but the existing footpath would be kept.
Cliveden will pay for all the surveying costs before the proposal is sent to the Lands Department to finalise excising the land and ministerial approval.
RobertFrith

Previous

Return to Western Australia