Truck rollover on Mitchell Freeway

Truck rollover on Mitchell Freeway

Postby hondaboy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:27 pm

I'm not overly familiar with the area but from the photos it looks like this truck ended up on the shared path? :shock:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/br ... l-freeway/

A lane of the Mitchell Freeway was closed after a truck rollover this afternoon.

The crash happened near the intersection of the freeway and Hutton Street, Osborne Park, just after midday.

The driver of the truck was not injured but the far left lane of the Mitchell Freeway northbound was closed between Powis Street and Hutton Street.

All normal lanes of the freeway are now open but the emergency lane remains closed northbound near Hutton Street.

A Fire and Emergency Services Authority spokesman said fire and rescue officers had attended the crash amid concerns of a possible fuel spill.

He said there was no spill and the rolled vehicle had been righted by a tow truck.
2009 Merida Race Lite 904
2008 Avanti Pista
2007 Giant Trance 1
1994 Nashbar Tandem Sold
1980s Raleigh fixie Sold
hondaboy

by BNA » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:57 pm

BNA

Re: Truck rollover on Mitchell Freeway

Postby rcmkII » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:57 pm

It's a pity you can't buy bikes made out of the same material as that windscreen.

Glad nobody was hurt though. Looks like it could have been very nasty.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.
rcmkII

Postby Mrfenejeans » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:54 pm

rcmkII wrote:It's a pity you can't buy bikes made out of the same material as that windscreen.

A toughened glass bike :shock: one hit on its edge and it'd explode.
Mrfenejeans

Postby rolandp » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Has the Mitchell freeway widening started, or was it my imagination that cars were travelling in the emergency lane this evening, with still no barriers to prevent this from occurring, except that they are now 3m closer to the PSP. At least the workers get barriers, we get nothing.
rolandp

Postby Graeme H » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:00 am

It's not your imagination.
The right lane is closed and the left emergency lane is being used as a traffic lane with 80km/h speed limit.
Graeme H

Postby redned » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 am

Another reason to be cycling. Combine that section with the narrowing at Hepburn Ave that backs up traffic a couple of kilometres, driving on the freeway is a disaster, even after 630.
redned

Postby Graeme H » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:34 pm

Graeme H wrote:It's not your imagination.
The right lane is closed and the left emergency lane is being used as a traffic lane with 80km/h speed limit.

Was 80 a few days ago, now 60km/h, so less chance that a collision in the emergency lane would cause a vehicle to reach the shared path.
Graeme H

Postby rolandp » Wed May 15, 2013 12:06 am

We got barriers:

Truck Rollover July 2012, Freeway widening where cars are travelling at fast speed less than 1m away Mar 2013 --------- finally in May 2013, we get barriers.
rolandp

Postby Baalzamon » Wed May 15, 2013 12:09 am

rolandp wrote:We got barriers:

Truck Rollover July 2012, Freeway widening where cars are travelling at fast speed less than 1m away Mar 2013 --------- finally in May 2013, we get barriers.

Now just hope they don't flipped over it
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby eldavo » Thu May 16, 2013 4:21 pm

I also noticed all the rubble and sand encroaching on the path following their work, now with today's storms approaching I'm expecting to see it run off nicely down the north side of the bridge/path... to match the sand runoff that collects on the south side regularly.
eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:51 pm

January 8th 2014, a new rollover farther north of this previous rollover location, a red cab tray back utility rollover onto the bank.

eldavo

Postby rolandp » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:12 am

I'm very confused with these section of freeway. Main Roads has spent 10/100's millions $ putting in a 4th lane. However, the 4th lane is restricted to the exit to Hutton St only. Traffic is still banked up at this location, and we are still in school holidays when lots of people are on holidays.

What was the benefit of this, unless they want more people exiting onto Hutton St, which was already a major trouble spot for cyclists.

They still can't stop cars/trucks from leaving the freeway, so is this section of the freeway now safer after spending $milions?
rolandp

Postby Graeme H » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:42 am

rolandp wrote:What was the benefit of this?

I can't speak for Main Roads, but I think the purpose was to increase the exit capacity of the tunnel. The tunnel is apparently supposed to take all the cross city traffic when Riverside Dr is closed. Already with Riverside Dr down to one lane this week, Plain St has been blocked up with traffic trying to reach the tunnel as an alternative path to the Freeway. By accommodating more cars at Leederville the extra lanes might also help to reduce congestion northbound before the Narrows Bridge, but I don't know.

At one stage (c. 1950's) the planning for the freeway system around Perth included a six lane freeway along Riverside Dr. That was about the only part of the plan that didn't happen, with the tunnel and Narrows interchange otherwise looking much like those old drawings. I'm glad that bit wasn't built, but you can see how we've failed to make up for it.

One problem with freeway upgrades is that they encourage the use of cars. In this case, if the tunnel upgrade only partly compensates for the huge reduction in cross city traffic capacity, I wonder if the changes will motivate more drivers to use other forms of transport? There's been a lot of work to enable buses to keep moving when the cars are stopped, but I'm not yet convinced that our public transport system is ready to pick up those who don't turn to cycling.
Graeme H

Postby dmwill » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:56 am

That exit only lane for Hutton is stupid.

Despite all the signs and arrows, there is always a few idiots who don't realise unit the last second and make abrupt lane changes.

Should have had a normal exit and made the lane continue and merge under Hutton overpass.
dmwill

Postby kellery82 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:03 pm

I also thought that the point of the extra lane was to alleviate merge points such as the Vincent Street merge, however it is still their, I agree, i fail to see the benefit in adding the extra lane to the freeway. I understand the tunnel, but it doesn't appear that the extra lane had been well thought out. Slightly off topic, I was reading the draft Bike Network Plan 2012 - 2021, and see that they have as a high priority the following "The intention is to extend the PSP from Glendalough Station on the eastern side of the Freeway through to the existing Hertha Road overpass." are there any plans showing the layout for this, or will this even ever happen?
kellery82

Postby wellington_street » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:47 pm

dmwill wrote:That exit only lane for Hutton is stupid.

Despite all the signs and arrows, there is always a few idiots who don't realise unit the last second and make abrupt lane changes.

Should have had a normal exit and made the lane continue and merge under Hutton overpass.

Signage for the exit is very poor and doesn't meet Australian Standards for freeway lane drops. Typical Main Roads half-assed job.

Why they have abandoned their previous approach of extending the left lane 300-500m beyond the ramp to allow for merges is beyond me.
wellington_street

Postby rolandp » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:27 pm

kellery82 wrote:I also thought that the point of the extra lane was to alleviate merge points such as the Vincent Street merge, however it is still their, I agree, i fail to see the benefit in adding the extra lane to the freeway. I understand the tunnel, but it doesn't appear that the extra lane had been well thought out. Slightly off topic, I was reading the draft Bike Network Plan 2012 - 2021, and see that they have as a high priority the following "The intention is to extend the PSP from Glendalough Station on the eastern side of the Freeway through to the existing Hertha Road overpass." are there any plans showing the layout for this, or will this even ever happen?

The original 1996 Perth Bicycle Plan had:
Provide grade-separation at Hutton Street, Cedric Street and Karrinyup Road and provide 3 metre wide path on western side of Mitchell Freeway
as a stage two project. There were three stages of the original plan.

The current DRAFT 2012-2021 WAPN indicates:
No provision has been made for structures in the Stirling area due to infrastructure timeframe requirements for the Stirling Regional Centre being unclear at this stage. This situation will be reviewed as planning for the area evolves. However, a grade-separated facility at Cedric Street will be required in the future.
Do a search for Stirling Regional Centre, and see if you can spot when this will be approved.

My personal favourite relating to the WAPN, and this area is from Bicycle WA:
Item 8.3 – Glendalough to Balcatta along Mitchell Freeway. BWA questions the cost/benefit of this project given the significant infrastructure, planning and funding required. It is unclear if the completion of this item would result in a significant enough number of additional riders to justify this plan as a stand-alone project. Much of the work should be completed when other infrastructure work is being carried out in the area.

And to add salt to the wound, MainRoads have finished off installing draining on the Scarb.Beach Rd overpass, and part of it is located on the shared path. What happened to this type of infrastructure should not be installed 1m from a shared path, and as an absolute minimum 50cm (sure this is a AusRoads standard).
rolandp

Return to Western Australia