Severe Weather Warning 1

Lizzy

Re: Severe Weather Warning 1

Postby Lizzy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:18 am

Gave it a big miss yesterday and was pretty happy with the decision - lots of fun watching people get dragged around & beaten up by their own umbrellas at the bus stop :mrgreen:

Managed to get most of the way to work between squalls, but a bit of hard work when they did come through - will see what the afternoon brings ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:52 pm

JBark wrote:I had the most ridiculous ride home last night. Left work at 4, then got to the Kwinana PSP and turned south just as the huge gusts out of the north started to roll in. This is the first time in 400 commutes over 12,000 km that I've ever had an honest to god real tailwind heading south in the afternoon, and man was it a doozy. So much tailwind that I ran out of gears on my CX bike on the flat along the river! For reference I rarely even hit top gear on a steep downhill on normal commutes (maybe once a month). I must have been maintaining 50kph for most of the stretch between Canning Bridge and Mt Henry Bridge, and I wasn't even working hard. It's eerie to be travelling at that speed and having absolutely no wind noise either. And on top of that, I didn't even catch any rain except for a few sprinkles near home, and the downpour started about 60 seconds after I pulled into the carport.

So basically, the best commute ever, and it's going to make my usual afternoon slog into the Doctor seem all that much worse. :)
Cool story enjoyed the read was riding with you;);)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

ramp

Postby ramp » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:27 pm

JBark wrote:I had the most ridiculous ride home last night. Left work at 4, then got to the Kwinana PSP and turned south just as the huge gusts out of the north started to roll in. This is the first time in 400 commutes over 12,000 km that I've ever had an honest to god real tailwind heading south in the afternoon, and man was it a doozy. So much tailwind that I ran out of gears on my CX bike on the flat along the river! For reference I rarely even hit top gear on a steep downhill on normal commutes (maybe once a month). I must have been maintaining 50kph for most of the stretch between Canning Bridge and Mt Henry Bridge, and I wasn't even working hard. It's eerie to be travelling at that speed and having absolutely no wind noise either. And on top of that, I didn't even catch any rain except for a few sprinkles near home, and the downpour started about 60 seconds after I pulled into the carport.

So basically, the best commute ever, and it's going to make my usual afternoon slog into the Doctor seem all that much worse. :)

Left about 30 mins later, balked at the corner of St G Tce and William faced with a horizontal wall of water, eventually turned down wind to the river and was anxious to say the least as to what the cars were doing. Once I set sail south on the Kwinana PSP it was somewhat exciting, wet but warm and an enormous tail wind. Barely a peddle turned. The big issue was keeping the speed down, the brakes were patchy and unpredictable and the path had plenty of debris and nuts. Considered going for my PB home but water over the track on a few occasions scared me enough to go steady. All year we SOR commuters peddle home into a headwind, nice to enjopy a free ride.