Railway Reserves Heritage Trail

Thoglette

Re: Railway Reserves Heritage Trail

Postby Thoglette » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:02 pm

MikeRoadie wrote: bigger tyres on an old road bike (circa probably 1996/1997 something like that)
'96 Old? Whippersnapper! :-) I don't have a bike that new!

Older roadies ('70s ) tend to have enough room for 27 x 1 1/4 (aka 32x630 ISO). Quite what you can fit depends on the exact frame - and exact tyre as the width is "indicative" at best.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

MikeRoadie

Postby MikeRoadie » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi Thoglette, don't really think of them as old either but when i took it to a mates who has the you beaut latest thing (and a little more expensive than mine!) he was a little stunned I could ride such an old beast. So figured that must be everyone's way of thinking (turns out not!). I refurbished it just to rub it in. Love look of old bikes but it is much easier to pick stuff up for the latest bikes so I did get a relative newy (9 speed)

In any case what you say is true, and was really hoping someone had a similiar bike and had put a blah blah on and that worked. In any case, having gone to a different LBS, and the comments from Troy, i think best approach is unfortunately to grab a bike that will do the job....

Troy thanks mate. You have also made my mind up (although not what I wanted to hear!). Had no idea 35s would be a problem so looks like it needs to be MTB for the job. I predominantly do the south side old Darlington station down (and up unfortunately), so not sure if that makes a difference? Just convincing the wife of another bike when I have two road bikes, her mountain bike, and dad in laws Huffy POS but at least is my size, could be interesting, and hence the trying to make the others work. Thought about increased seat posts etc on the wifes bike but LBS pretty against that. Cheers for the help both of you.

Thoglette

Re: Railway Reserves Heritage Trail from Perth

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:36 pm

Any recommendations for Perth (Northern PSP) to the base of the trail? I'm presuming via back streets of ledderville to cycle path by the railway in Mt Lawley, then over the old bridge to Guildford, then the main drag until Clayton St/Rason/Purton?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:40 pm

Thoglette wrote:then the main drag until Clayton St/Rason/Purton?
Pretty much. You know you're on it when you're at the Bellevue RSL/Bowls club.

You can also pick up Clayton from another approach; Marginally longer, but a bit less of a sh!tfight/stress out of main road traffic, through some partial rural blocks and over the Helena river in a couple of places. Unless it's a quiet traffic time on the main roads, I find this approach preferable.

From around Guildford, get on the Northside of the train tracks and follow the backstreet with the railine on your right. Swan street is broken at the Rail line, but there is a pedestrian crossing there. Cross it to where Swan St. restarts on the south side. It crosses GE Hway and becomes Water St at the Woodbridge Tav......... ah sod it.. you'll understand it better visually;
ridewithgps.com/routes/6717600
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:57 pm

HappyHumber wrote:You can also pick up Clayton from another approach; Marginally longer, but a bit less of a sh!tfight/stress out of main road traffic, through some partial rural blocks and over the Helena river in a couple of places. Unless it's a quiet traffic time on the main roads, I find this approach preferable.
Thanks HH - pure gold. I'd have never picked that route from the DoT maps!

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:12 pm

Thoglette wrote:Thanks HH - pure gold. I'd have never picked that route from the DoT maps!
I hate trying to make sense of those things! They might as well be etched into 900x900mm concrete pavers for all of their ease of readability in those PDFs.

Nah... it does help being familiar with an area, or traversing it often enough to be able explore a bit. I have friends on the other side of Midland from where I live and have scooted through there often enough on Audax rides.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:51 pm

I've taken Reid Hwy as far as Toodyay Rd, turned down Farrall, O'Connor and Myles Rds to get through the suburb of Stratton, this gets me to Morrison Rd where you only need to climb up to the carpark at the eastern end to be on the northern side of the rail trail loop. Or you can cross Morrison onto Weld Rd where you also meet the trail at the end of that street, you can follow that south along Buningyoung Rd (because here the trail must use bitumen) and it passes under Great Eastern Hwy, you're only a km from the start of the southern side of the loop outside the RSL bowling club in Bellevue. This might help
http://ridewithgps.com/trips/3029229

How you get onto Reid Hwy is your concern, there are lots of backroads and you don't have to start at the chocolate factory as I did (but it helps). There is a nice off-the-highway path between West Swan and Great Northern along Reid but the shoulders are also favourable if you just want to stay on the highway most times, just be sensitive near intersections.

Grev

Postby Grev » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:40 am

Another option is to catch the train to Midland.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:19 am

Grev wrote:Another option is to catch the train to Midland.
Good point - one I nearly took up as I was running out of time. But was beaten by the Public Holiday schedule and "other existing commitments". Another weeken.d

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:33 pm

I'll be doing this in a few weeks time as a shakedown ride for my new hardtail.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat May 09, 2015 7:45 pm

Audax rail trail loop was on today

Ummmm I'm of mixed opinion of this. We did the northern side first and a grader has smoothed it right up. Way less blue metal now. Also a lot smoother.
But this is supposed to be a dirt ride so smooth no thanks but was nice to ride on
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810