Cycle path manners

CXCommuter

Re: Cycle path manners

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:00 pm

Karati wrote:
quokkacol wrote: I was happily riding behind another rider this morning along the freeway PSP, when he sat up and spat. Spray hit my face.
quokkacol wrote:I don't know if he was unhappy I was drafting him (that's another topic), but this is a shared path and you just have to get used to people drafting, as long as they allow themselves enough time to brake and as long as the rider in front knows to signal which this guy seems to.
I think you are in the wrong here. If you snuck up and sat on and he didn't know you were there then it's pretty much just your bad luck.

It's happened a few times to me that someone gets on your wheel and doesn't say anything and when you do notice it scares the crap out of you. I don't mind people tagging on and having a bit of a race generally but at least say something when you get on.

Having said that common courtesy would say if your going to spit or snot rocket have a quick check around first.
I have had a guy who I overtook unknowingly wheelsuck me on a TT/Tri bike- when I slowed down for other traffic he ran up the back of me- only warning I got was a desperate cry of "carp carp carp".... bang- thankfully no one crashed or was hurt but geez come on.

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:55 pm

Yep, good rule is nobody likes uninvited guests.
Don't draft a person that has not given you the right. Its rude and dangerous.
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:30 am

Troy C wrote:Yep, good rule is nobody likes uninvited guests.
Don't draft a person that has not given you the right. Its rude and dangerous.
Well said.

You don't go into a resturant and eat of someones plate without asking, so don't draft without asking (and then make sure you take your turn when safe).
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

worzel

Postby worzel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:36 am

I would rather someone sat behind me for a couple of minutes for a breather so that when they overtook me they could clear off. It annoys me far more when someone comes barging past me then slows down in front of me when they lose my slipstream. I would rather they said "Hello, let's take it in turns to lead" but that never happens. I used to see a couple of blokes who rode slowly two-a-breast up hills having a chat then when I finally managed to squeeze past they would race past me on the flat and then slow again at the next hill.

PS Thankfully no one turned this into a spit or swallow thread :wink:

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:35 pm

I have noticed over the last few years the polite hello has really died off. I make the effort to say good morning or hi when passing someone. This being the daily commute on the Midland PSP.

I don't mind someone having a break on my tail, but at least share the head wind over the next 8-10km. Its quite common that I come up to a slower rider (say 27ish) at 33ish, I say morning, get ignored, then I watch them in the corner of my eye gas it to jump on the tail and sit there for 6+ km.
worzel wrote:I used to see a couple of blokes who rode slowly two-a-breast up hills having a chat then when I finally managed to squeeze past they would race past me on the flat and then slow again at the next hill.
This too, and when coming towards them trying to pass a slower rider in front of you.

dan_in_oz

Postby dan_in_oz » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:29 pm

To the 4 cyclists heading south, freeway bike path, past Gwelup on the new section this morning:

Riding 3 abreast taking up the whole path
Overtaking me as soon as I’d overtaken you just to drop 3 or 4 km/hr again
Forcing me to ride in the middle of your pack boxed in and nowhere to go
Squeezing me left and almost forcing me off the path onto the dirt as we passed under Reid Hwy (Mr Elite Cycles kit - I’m talking about you)

Just wanted to say thanks guys, thanks for making my morning commute that more memorable.

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:56 pm

Disbelief at the actions of the 2 cyclists shown below going up Parliament Hill path this morning at about 7am.
The first idiot especially since I had signalled for him to stay left and the 2nd idiot also because he had better vision and I had very clearly voiced my opinion of the 1st.

A real dick-move to think it's safe to overtake with other cyclists bearing down towards them.

*Apologies for the terrible sound, my camera mount is fubar'd

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:49 am

yep what a wnaker
" faith is the substance of things hoped for..the evidence of things not seen"

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:06 am

Jesus Christ, Rex. That belongs in the Dumb Cyclists thread
viewtopic.php?t=22881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:13 am

Good call

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:59 am

Rex wrote:A real [language removed]-move to think it's safe to overtake with other cyclists bearing down towards them.
Scarey! :shock:
<removed by request>

Karati

Postby Karati » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:44 pm

Rex wrote:Disbelief at the actions of the 2 cyclists shown below going up Parliament Hill path this morning at about 7am.
The first idiot especially since I had signalled for him to stay left and the 2nd idiot also because he had better vision and I had very clearly voiced my opinion of the 1st.
Yikes...that was very close. I feel sorry for the guy coming down the hill!!

CycleSnail

Not only on Cycle paths...

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:40 pm

This was sent to us via Facebook, and I am curious what people think. Personally I prefer to have thousands of cyclists riding past my house every week instead of the same number of cars?

Do you ride in groups very early in the morning? We love you're active at that time but we'd prefer it if you could do it without disturbing others. We live on a quiet residential street (most of the time) that attracts thousands of cyclists every week, all riding between 5am-7am in the morning, every morning of the week (including Sunday). As we live on a gentle hill, many cyclists take the opportunity to have very loud conversations with the rest of the group. You might think this sounds ridiculous, but you're really loud and it is waking up the residents of the street. We're asking you just be mindful of the locals when you're wending your way around residential streets in the early hours. We know you need to shout warnings - that's fine, but please show a little consideration by keeping your voices down when you're chatting with your friends - or keep it until coffee time. Thanks in anticipation of a sleep-in one morning smile emoticon
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Croozin

Postby Croozin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:50 pm

Reckon it's fair enuf that they have been losing a little sleep over it but perhaps a couple of signs would be more appropriate ... Rather than targeting 1 particular cycling group anyway