Cyclist focused on using mobile phone

Aushiker

Cyclist focused on using mobile phone

Postby Aushiker » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:52 pm

Letter to a local paper from a Mr Bill Daking of Kingsley ...

IS there a law against using mobile phones while riding a bike?

I was driving in Kingsley when coming towards me was a woman cyclist either texting or trying to put in a number.

She was quite oblivious to the traffic coming towards her. She was so intent in this that when I blew my horn she turned away and nearly hit the kerb.

After giving me the universal one-finger salute she rode off.

Whilst I think he asked a valid question (even though it scares me that he is a driver without an understanding of the fundamental road rules), his response and the tone of his letter are disappointing as where some of the silly responses. It is as if by being stupid to use a phone whilst riding is soooo bad but yet I doubt Mr Daking would bother to write to the paper about a motorist doing the same or worse.

Regards
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HelmutHerr

Re: Cyclist focused on using mobile phone

Postby HelmutHerr » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:02 pm

Aushiker wrote:It is as if by beign stupid to use a phone whilst riding is soooo bad but yet I doubt Mr Daking would bother to write to the paper about a motorist doing the same or worse.
That's how it tends to go. If a motorist does something illegal or idiotic, they represent themselves. When a cyclist does something illegal or idiotic, they represent all cyclists.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:32 pm

HelmutHerr wrote: That's how it tends to go. If a motorist does something illegal or idiotic, they represent themselves. When a cyclist does something illegal or idiotic, they represent all cyclists.
+1.

Bit of pressure on us, right? :grin:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:18 pm

Yep it is illegal
Bikes are vehicles and a cop can fine a cyclist using a phone if it's in there hands.
Same for horse if you on that and are drunk or using a phone, it's a vehicle as well.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810