Peel District CC - Summer Crits and TTs 2012/13

nickobec

Re: Peel District CC - Summer Crits and TTs 2012/13

Postby nickobec » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:43 pm

Not a PDCC crit report, but a RCCC crit report to get you in the mood for Monday at the Motorplex 1 and 3 day licences now available.

It is over on the race report thread or on my blog http://nickcowie.com/2013/race-report/

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:44 am

Lastest report, it is relatively short over on the race report thread or http://nickcowie.com/?p=716

wizzfizz

Postby wizzfizz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:15 pm

It's been a while since I gave a race report of my own, so here it goes:

At the beginning of the crit season I upgraded myself to C grade, I'm sure the peeps in D were glad to be rid of me and my antics. The main reason being that the C grade crit always happens in the middle of the others, so I have enough time to setup the timing gear, make sure its working, ride my race, and be back in time to start pulling out results for the presentations. I've been finishing mid-pack, I just need to be a little more aggressive before the final sprint to get myself into a good position.

As Nick mentioned in his report for yesterday, hot and a little bit windy, something I have a little bit of experience with from my commutes with a face full of afternoon Fremantle Doctors! There were only 9 starters in C grade, so the pace was not very high. First few laps saw a little push here and there from myself and a few others, but the heat meant it wasn't long before you're gasping for air and reaching for a drink.

Around lap 4 (out of 7) there was another small push off the front from David (I think), so I pushed too thinking he would jump on my wheel to make a go of it. Look back after 30 seconds and everyone had slowed. I'm on my own so decision time: sit up and go back to the pack and wait out for the final sprint, or take the gamble and push on solo. Over the hill on my own and I can't see them anymore, so I knuckle down for the long haul and solo for 2 laps. With a lap and a half to go I guess the others had decided I'd hurt enough and reel me in. I had a little bit of energy left so I slipped onto the back to rest for a lap.

Bell lap and business as usual until the hill, when Darren (I think, he was in red) launches early. There's no organisation with the rest of us so we become strung out, each rider fighting on their own. Darren gets overtaken with 300m to go by David and John, while I formed up in a group of 3 to catch him and struggle for the minor placings. I finish in 5th, and proceed to gulp down as much fluid as I can lay my hands on.

Onto Rockingham's Smeaton Way next week, and since I can't see any other major races happening I would expect a large turnout again. As always hit up the website for the schedule.

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:05 pm

The club championships are on tomorrow at Smeaton Way in Rockinham, there will be a sausage sizzle on afterwards also. See you all there!