Mount St Overpass

inline_online

Mount St Overpass

Postby inline_online » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 am

Looks like the cops are making all cyclists dismount as they cross the Mount St overpass.
As I skated over this morning, a female cop on a bike was there yelling at a cyclist as he rode over. She had only just rocked up and wasn't even off her motorbike yet.
Saw a few cyclists walking over about 30min later and one of them told me that the cop was making all cyclists dismount.
There are some path works going on and one of the entrances/exits on the Kings Park side has been blocked for a couple of weeks now.
Hopefully this doesn't become like Trafalgar Bridge for you guys. I'm allowed to skate over Trafalgar but if they make me take my skates off for the overpass it'll take ages.
Powerslide R4 (3 x 125mm)
Seba Marathon (Two sets of frames: 4 x 110mm, 3 x 125mm)
Cannondale CAAD8

roller

Re: Mount St Overpass

Postby roller » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:35 am

we were told to get off our bikes and walk over (which sure beats riding over and getting a ticket on the other side)

the cop looked more annoyed with the situation than we were.

i can't imagine how she must have felt when she rocked up at the station in the morning and they said "we've got a really big and important assignment for you today"
inflammatory statement or idea

roller

Postby roller » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:39 am

part 2: walking over i noticed just how slippery the downward slope is (on the eastern side of the bridge), could imagine at least one or two people in cycling shoes slipping over

and then suing the city of perth. :lol:

christo64

Postby christo64 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:52 pm

How ridiculous!! Been cycling to perth 30 years. Never, ever been enforced before. Must be a resident complaint. And what's with the barricade!!
CHRISTO

as7431

Postby as7431 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Saw someone walking over there this morning as I headed down towards the river. I just assumed that they had a flat and could not be bothered fixing it and was walking the rest of the way. Would be interesting to note if there have been complaints or indeed an incident.

TIm

roller

Postby roller » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:36 pm

i wonder whether the day of warnings is a precursor to the day of revenue raising.

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:37 pm

What I don't get about this whole thing is the fact that the mount st footbridge has been designated a "Pedestrian priority zone" under the City of Perth bike plan.

From the implementation program under 2013-2014:
Mount St Footbridge
Pedestrian priority zone
Between western side of Mount St and eastern side of Mount St – create a pedestrian priority zone with associated signage for slow cyclist speeds and pedestrian priority through the area
CoP/ Main Roads WA
$14,000
So basically in a year or so, we will be allowed to ride on the bridge anyway. The $14,000 will probably just buy a couple of new signs. Why can't this be brought forward to now? Seems pointless to enforce a rule for the sake of it.
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:03 am

Don't know if the police presence this morning is linked, but...

A section next to the PSP was pulled up yesterday:

My guess is that this will be an alternative access way whilst the Halo On Mount is build:

There isn't any formal announcements about the PSP, but we did post on BTA an update from MainRoads indicating:
The existing path link connection from the Mitchell PSP to Mount Street will be closed due to building works on a block abutting the freeway reserve. An alternative path connection will be constructed for the duration of the works. In addition, the existing railing was identified as a potential hazard and was replaced with a higher railing to prevent riders being thrown over it in the case of an accident.

My guess is that we will see this section 'diverted' soon, and potentially up and over the 'footbridge' Note, it is still classified as a 'footbridge' with 'no cycling signs' at least on the western end. The police presence this morning may be a reminder that it is still a 'footbridge' and we will see additional cyclists 'footing' in the near future.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:11 am

roller wrote:part 2: walking over i noticed just how slippery the downward slope is (on the eastern side of the bridge), could imagine at least one or two people in cycling shoes slipping over

and then suing the city of perth. :lol:
Interesting as in July 2012 the bridge had some sort of treatment to the surface.
Image Image

Please report to City of Perth the slippery down slope.
Last edited by rolandp on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:17 am

RoFlmaTiC wrote:What I don't get about this whole thing is the fact that the mount st footbridge has been designated a "Pedestrian priority zone" under the City of Perth bike plan.

From the implementation program under 2013-2014:
Mount St Footbridge
Pedestrian priority zone
Between western side of Mount St and eastern side of Mount St – create a pedestrian priority zone with associated signage for slow cyclist speeds and pedestrian priority through the area
CoP/ Main Roads WA
$14,000
So basically in a year or so, we will be allowed to ride on the bridge anyway. The $14,000 will probably just buy a couple of new signs. Why can't this be brought forward to now? Seems pointless to enforce a rule for the sake of it.
I actually meet with the City of Perth following my response to the CoP's Bike Plan. Their issue is with the entrance from Mount St (west side), which hopefully will be 'fixed' up with the 'Halo on Mount' is completed. Hence why I think it is indicated as taking 12 months to make this area a 'slow cyclist speed' area.

Karati

Postby Karati » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:14 pm

On the way out of town head up Hay street and jump on the path there. It's much safer than the intersection onto the path from Mount street anyway.

On the way into town just ride to the end of the path at Hay street cross over the freeway bridge then turn right at Elder street and back up to the Terrace.

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:04 am

I saw cops actually on the bridge booking people one morning about a year ago. Luckily they parked the car on the city side, so I quickly jumped off before I got caught. Did see them booking some unlucky fellow. I saw someone else walking across the other morning and figured the same thing must be up.

Lower entrance for the mount st footbridge is now closed as of my ride home tonight - only entrance is the single person gap in the fence on the upper side of the hill. Pretty sure that's gonna suck for all the folks trying to get onto the bridge while I'm trying to get out onto the bike path. And into speeding downhillers - the "new" opening is still pretty blind for the speed some clowns do down there.

Sweet freeway views from that Halo building. Must be the selling point - or the great views over this decades "Westralia Square" I'm pretty sure Perth would grind to a halt if there wasn't a big hole in the CBD somewhere.

Are they balcony views over the freeway as well? Very relaxing.....

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:53 am

SnoopDoug wrote:Lower entrance for the mount st footbridge is now closed as of my ride home tonight - only entrance is the single person gap in the fence on the upper side of the hill.
Confirmed:

Check out the way the cyclists have to stick their heads out onto the PSP in an attempt to see what is coming from the north. This due to the direction they end up on the new diversion - facing south.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:45 am

rolandp wrote:Check out the way the cyclists have to stick their heads out onto the PSP in an attempt to see what is coming from the north. This due to the direction they end up on the new diversion - facing south.
Should report it as a hazard to Main Roads using Neatstreets :)

Andrew

Karati

Postby Karati » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Someone is going to get badly hurt here...

Very dangerous.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:25 pm

It's starting to make the experience from Kings Park Rd. at terminal downhill speed onto St. Georges through green lights alongside lane diving drivers re-jigging for Mount Street red light before yourself trying to get right onto Miill Street having to emergency brake for the Pedestrians popping out from cars doing Frogger across road to Parmelia Hotel from Convention Centre on their way to work with cars on right stopping to door you as the passenger emerges as new pedestrian fodder into the Frogger experience while you're then about to get rear ended by another cyclist not aware of any of these reasons why you may need to stop quickly and him do so even quicker because everyone must ride fixed brakeless in the CBD... (big breath...) look relatively less of a risk than it used to be.

^learnt a lot in that one morning and 800m shortcut I lest not forget ;)

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:18 am

Temporary fencing at the Mount St development was sticking out and blocking around 40% of the PSP. Reported to MainRoads (twice) as well as City of Perth.

Also be careful of tools left by the developers including hammer, portable drill and surveying equipment, all located on the PSP.

No warning signs installed.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:03 am

Thanks for your effort Roland.
I was in disbelief when I was going downhill this morning ~9am past it, and even more Say What!? when going home seeing it uphill. Looked like it blocked the whole western lane to me when I passed it, going uphill had to look up around through the kink and two elevation changes plus the overpass entry to watch for people oncoming to get around it.

When going downhill in the morning I did think of this thread and naively thought never fear, the same traffic cops would be on the case and it would get sorted.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:37 am

Link to YouTube of this area yesterday afternoon and this morning - http://youtu.be/j4oio9FtDEU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sundy84

Postby Sundy84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 pm

I emailed the architects for the project this morning and got a response saying that the path had been blocked without their permission or knowledge and the situation would be remedied immediately.

wexford

Postby wexford » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:38 pm

The area was clear when I went through at around 16:30 yesterday. Commuted around the river today so I don't know what it's like now.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:49 pm

Meant to post this yesterday, but City of Perth responded to myself on Twitter thus:

We're aware of this & will liaise with the builder so that it doesn't happen again. Thanks for letting us know.

Seems going by @Wexford's comment that they have indeed dealt with it.

A nice positive response.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Courtesy of the City of Perth

Andrew

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:50 pm

I am a particular class of pedestrian that has some extra road privileges. I am not forbidden from riding on footpaths. If I felt mischievous I suppose I could wander over there and try my luck riding across. :twisted:

But arguing with a cop is not a wholly fruitful use of anyones time regardless of right and wrong. Besides, all in all I side with the work that cops do.

As always, a medal to Roland. 8)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:36 pm

I have always wondered why those temporary fencing footings are installed perpendicular to the fence. They are a massive trip hazard when used adjacent to the footpath, especially one that is narrowed. can't understand why they aren't rotated 90 degrees to be parallel to the fence - they are still perfectly functional that way.