Tour de Perth and Rotto

ColinOldnCranky

Tour de Perth and Rotto

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:47 pm

I am surprised that there has been no comment on "The status of Perth's premier professional road race is to be upgraded and, for the first time, will include two stages on Rottnest Island."

Article at http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/br ... ling-race/
Rotto stages for upgraded cycling race
Kent Acott, The West Australian
Updated December 6, 2012, 3:01 am

The status of Perth's premier professional road race is to be upgraded and, for the first time, will include two stages on Rottnest Island.

Next year, the Tour de Perth will be the first event of Cycling Australia's Subaru National Road Series, bringing together some of the best riders in Australia, China, Japan, Singapore and New Zealand.

The event, to be held from April 11-14, will feature an 80km road race and 29km individual time trail on Rottnest, a 120km road race in the Perth Hills, a one-hour criterium in Kalamunda and a 112km road race around Perth and Kings Park.

"Hosting this event will put WA on the professional road cycling map," Tourism Minister Kim Hames said yesterday.

"This series involves professional teams competing in a number of events staged across the country and is one of the main features of the Australian road racing calendar."

CIC Events managing director Craig Smith-Gander said the event would provide an opportunity to watch world-class international cyclists compete in the heart of Perth.

"This is a brand new concept for WA and one we intend to grow and develop to elevate Perth as the cycling capital of Australia," Mr Smith- Gander said. "The event will provide an extraordinary experience for competitors, sponsors and spectators.

"Community events and mass participation rides will also be included in the event program, encouraging everyone to get involved."

Cycling WA chief executive Garry Chandler said April would be a festival of cycling in WA, with the Tour de Perth, the World Cycling Tour Masters event and the 2013 Cycling Australia National Track Masters Championships all taking place in and around Perth.

He said the events would promote the city and broader regions to a national audience.

Rottnest Island Authority chairman John Driscoll said the race would provide a fantastic opportunity to show Rottnest as an exciting tourism destination.

Last month, the status of the Margaret River Pro surfing event was also upgraded and included as a World Championship Tour event.
What is the significance of this "upgrade" to racing and comp-riders?

I would guess that there will be support lead-up race/s of some sort for club riders and the like. Any chance of a unicycle-special stage? I'd love to beat some of you guys for a change. :mrgreen:

I don't go watching many sporting events - where is the fun in watching someone practicing a skillg? - but I do like to see the Crites around Perth each year and have gone to a couple of meets at the drome in recent times. Certainly a day trip to Rotto would be enough to entice me to check out the tour.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Pravda

Re: Tour de Perth and Rotto

Postby Pravda » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:28 pm

TT on Rotto will be interesting. Lots of nice crosswinds.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:25 am

Pravda wrote:TT on Rotto will be interesting. Lots of nice crosswinds.
My thoughts exactly - my last west end run saw me double my speed on the homeward leg.

And don't even think about bringing your Zipp 808s & disks for the time trial!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Nice time of the year for a holiday :)

They've been doing TT's on Rotto for a while I think. I average about 15kph out and 50 back :lol:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Red Rider wrote:Nice time of the year for a holiday :)

They've been doing TT's on Rotto for a while I think. I average about 15kph out and 50 back :lol:
I've ridden to west end a few times and, yes, those winds are cruel heading west. Coming back though they always seem to die at about the time you need it when you get to the first climb on Bovel Way. :?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:28 pm

It is one of the best TT coarses in the state (I have done them all), I have done the UCI TT the 2 years it has been on, its usually no very well supported by the riders as they don't want to put there bike on the ferry. In saying this I have never seen an indecent. There is 2 TT this year, The UCI masters world tour and the TT for NRS series, I think the later will be restricted to road bikes only and called a prologue, saves the teams taking 2 bikes across. I not sure if Thoglette has done a TT, let alone at Rottnest, I would advise to use fastest wheels possible Disc, 80 or 90mm front, the winds the 2 time I have done it are usually mild easterly's and have ridden in far worse conditions at Champion Lakes during a TT.
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:36 pm

Troy C wrote: I not sure if Thoglette has done a TT, let alone at Rottnest
Guilty as charged. My comment was that the crosswinds are truely brutal, to the degree that I was blown t'other side of the road one day out there. This with utterly oldfashioned wheels

In competition, with your eyes and mind on the road ahead, you might take that risk, given the aero advantage.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Cale

Postby Cale » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Tis the time of year that plays the biggest factor. Summer arvos equal almost permanent 25-30knot SSW. Which would be hectic on deep rims? Bad enough at times on my 39mm Easton's anyway. Autumn morns, well as Troy said you prob end up with a mild E again. Very interested to see how the 80km group deal with the families and kids swerving all over the roads! Or the large groups of Japanese tourists doing more of the same. Good times. [garmin][/garmi