Profile of WA Cyclists

Aushiker

Profile of WA Cyclists

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:19 am

Some of you may recall completing a survey for the Department of Transport in the not so recent past. Well they have released the results. I have posted an infographic of the results on my blog but a quick summary of some of the results is below for your reading pleasure :)

* Over 50% of respondents ride 15 times or more in a month so we can assume that the majority of respondents are active cyclists;
* The big reasons for riding are commuting, heath and fitness and recreation;
* 35% of respondents have commutes longer than 15 km each way;
* 64% of cyclists have safety concerns;
* 83% of respondents would wear a helment even if not required to by law;
* 97% of respondents had a drivers licence.

Andrew

Spoked

Re: Profile of WA Cyclists

Postby Spoked » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:15 am

[quote][/quote]

Also interesting to note is that the largest group of respondents was age 55+ while only 5% is 25 and under . Seems we become more into cycling as we age.

I'm 59 and have been cycling for fitness since 51.

My greatest concern is safety while on the road getting to cycle paths and I fear that one day I will be taken out from the rear by an under 25 texting while driving.

embee8

Re: Profile of WA Cyclists

Postby embee8 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:16 pm

Spoked wrote:
Also interesting to note is that the largest group of respondents was age 55+ while only 5% is 25 and under . Seems we become more into cycling as we age.
Or maybe under 25's don't respond well to surveys :wink:
My greatest concern is safety while on the road getting to cycle paths and I fear that one day I will be taken out from the rear by an under 25 texting while driving.
I know what you mean, I'm always on the lookout for under-25s txt'g while I'm on the road ... unfortunately I maybe underestimated the 40-something guy with a puppy dog jumping on his lap that collected me and wrote off my bike 2 weeks ago :evil:
Trek Domane 5.2
Giant CRX4