trusted a so called friend.then stabed in the back

roadie1

trusted a so called friend.then stabed in the back

Postby roadie1 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:55 am

You know the feeling when you think that you are helping a mate out only to have them stab you in the back...?
Well I just recently had such an experience. I had a customer pleading with me to attend to his bike before Christmas - and as I was so busy, at first I said no - after which I felt bad and stupidly said OK ...as you all may well have guessed, yes I am a bicycle mechanic.
I did the customers bike to the best I could do in the time I had as he wanted to ride the next day - I will say I was not happy with the finished bike but it was only cosmetic,the bike worked fine and I was told this by the customer. I also told him I would make the bike look good after the shop had become quiet again.
But as I found out the hard way, this was not good enough. So instead of coming back to me to do as I promised, and finish the bike, he let everyone tell him what a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! job was done on the bike, yet it rode perfectly...! So of course he went to another bike shop so that they could tear the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! out of my work. No, he didn't say I was rushed or that I was incredibly busy,\ that I dropped everything to get his bike ride-able in time. He just agreed with the shop and proceeded to tell my boss how !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! the job was.
So to all you so-called 'friends' that just need a bike mechanic when it suits you and you don't give a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! who you hurt, :cry: have some heart and some gut's to front the person who is supposed to be your so-called mate...! :x

As you all can see this hurt me alot that he did not have the balls to talk to me about his ISSUES...
LESSON LEARNT, NEVER AGAIN!

ILMB

Re: trusted a so called friend.then stabed in the back

Postby ILMB » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:26 am

Betrayal hurts like no other hurt. It will pass.
Don't stop being a nice guy. You are the one that'll be spoilt.

reefer

Postby reefer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:49 am

You are at fault.

YOU let your incomplete work out. Full stop.

Learn. Take responsibility. Do the Job correctly first time every time.

BTW, I was a aircraft mechanic, I was never rushed that I didn’t do my work to 100%, ever, even though many of my peers derided me and I had plenty of pressure put on me by pilots.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:48 am

Yes, learn from your experience and learn how to relate to customers.

You can still be kind and sympathetic (a much desired trait in society and customer relations), but just need to better manage the process and always have a fall back position. For a start, have your manager involved so that he knows the ins and outs and the agreement. Then be selective with your customer. Finally, learn your limits. If you can't handle it to a reasonable standard, then don't pick it up in the first instance. If you are to pick up a job, then be prepared to go into overtime and finish it properly.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Bummer, as said live and learn.
Keep your special care for people who would bail you out of jail.

Child like impatience, instant gratification and nagging come to mind. Reminds me of this pearler that might cheer you up.
http://www.bicycle.net/2008/how-to-enra ... ng-hipster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Max

Postby Max » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:05 pm

It is OK to say no. It's better than turning out substandard work.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:08 am

roadie1 wrote:I will say I was not happy with the finished bike but it was only cosmetic,the bike worked fine and I was told this by the customer.
You are saying that you let the bike out the door serviced as required to proper function but presumably you left some greasy marks and suchlike behind?

And your mate, who gave you this rush job that I'm guessing you squeezed into an already busy schedule had the gall to whinge about some pawprints?

Sod him, he aint no mate.

Next time he asks, (and he will) point him toward the tool rack and tell him to go nuts.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:11 am

Did you charge him??

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:35 pm

I have found there are two types of people - people you trust and people you don't.

So you lost a friend - his loss really. Next time he asks of you, tell him to %$#(AT) off.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!