Selby St Bike Path - Construction Fence

jbm

Selby St Bike Path - Construction Fence

Postby jbm » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:49 pm

I have noticed that the bike path along Selby St (Wembley/Jolimont) is currently blocked by a construction fence around the Matthews netball centre. Not sure why they couldn't put the fence on the grass rather than blocking the path!

If you want to head south/north along Selby Street you will need to use the road. This is not always that great during high traffic times.

wellington_street

Re: Selby St Bike Path - Construction Fence

Postby wellington_street » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Might be worth reporting to Council - the builder probably doesn't have permission to block the path and Council doesn't spend enough money on inspectors to police this sort of thing.

loz618

Postby loz618 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:07 am

wellington_street wrote:Might be worth reporting to Council - the builder probably doesn't have permission to block the path and Council doesn't spend enough money on inspectors to police this sort of thing.
Doubtful, as the works have been commissioned by the council.

http://www.inmycommunity.com.au/news-an ... e/7631870/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There had been a vaguely official looking sign waring of the closure for a while before it happened, so presumably the council is aware.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:21 pm

loz618 wrote:
wellington_street wrote:Might be worth reporting to Council - the builder probably doesn't have permission to block the path and Council doesn't spend enough money on inspectors to police this sort of thing.

http://www.inmycommunity.com.au/news-an ... e/7631870/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There had been a vaguely official looking sign waring of the closure for a while before it happened, so presumably the council is aware.
OK yep that important piece of information does change things a little.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:23 pm

wellington_street wrote:
loz618 wrote:

OK yep that important piece of information does change things a little.
But it does not mean that the fence has been located properly. I would still bring it to their attention.

Andrew

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:15 pm

The council is ultimately responsible for all their commissioned works, doesn't mean everything done is correct by them or contractors because they have a correct policy and contract. Supervisors or inspectors would be like most cost sensitive quality checks as percentage or spot checks.

I've lost a friend/colleague to negligent council contractor road works on country roads, contractors taking illegal shortcuts out there we don't see in the metro areas. Out of sight out of mind. When they are aware of incident after the fact, the correct action was immediately done (evidence was swept away literally) and the LGA (local government association) legal team representing them had to cover their ass from being sued. Documented previous fatalities that a journalist put in the paper due to the same hazards was extremely frustrating, but did not result in acknowledged culture change last I heard. Loss of life due to negligent laziness always makes my blood boil thinking about it, and my friend as an ex-lawyer before his software engineer career would have pursued on principle.

http://www.patrickwarren.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f ... en-108588/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it only made the paper at the time because his father was one of the two Nobel laureates credited with finding the bacterium responsible for ulcers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Warren" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guys like Roland and Andrew thoroughly documenting this stuff have my great respect as I ride past the same hazards and think they'll report it, for posterity even if action is rarely taken. Perhaps this habit should be on my new year's resolution list.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:35 am

I would report to the Council.

I reported to MainRoads last week the development occuring near Powis St on the PSP where the fence legs were sticking out onto the path. Week later, the fence legs have been replaced with star stakes, fence posts roped onto the star stakes, and nothing sticking out onto the PSP.

Shame that we have to report these types of things as there must be building conditions associated with roads/PSP/etc, and nothing should be on the roads/PSP/etc, unless approved.

On a similar topic, why was the Australia Day sky-work fence on Riverside shared path, located on the shared path this morning? It had moved by this evening, but another example of where this work should be occuring in non-peak periods, and nothing should be located on the shared path.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:58 am

Most / Many / Some (not sure which!) councils have a "compliance officer" who is responsible for ensuring that by-laws are respected. They are often university trained and energetic in their pursuit of boundaries crossed, regardless of the whether works have been commissioned by council, residents or companies. Only takes a phone call to the main number. Your local council will be listed at Whitepages or you can find them at yourlocalityname.yourstate.gov.au

If you don't have a compliance officer, ask for the ranger.... cue dark chords of doom...

Last resort, call one of your local elected representatives. Local government has the highest number of reps per head of population and through much of our wide brown land has yet to be thoroughly tainted by the party system. Your councillors are usually genuinely interested in hearing from you. The council website should list their email address and phone number. Failing that, rock up early to the next council meeting and say you want to speak, they'll give you 3 minutes before the meeting proper starts. Council meeting dates and times should also be listed on the website.

Easy as pie :D

BTW the fence is still there as of today! really is ridiculous given the space they have