Bikes on Transperth Trains

Bikes on Transperth Trains

Postby Rusty6149 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi

I'm planning on riding from Perth to Mandurah tommorow afternoon - leaving the CBD around 3pm - so in Mandurah around 5pm - I'm then planning on taking the train back up to Cockburn.

My question is.. will my bike be allowed on the train ?

The Transperth website suggests it will, as although it is peak time, I am against the flow, and not going to the main Perth stations - however a friend of mine was given some grief yesterday trying to do a similar thing.. maybe just a jobsworth Transperth employee.. but don't want to be caught out.

regards,

Rusty
Rusty6149

by BNA » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:34 pm

BNA

Re: Bikes on Transperth Trains

Postby Pravda » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:34 pm

You'll be fine. I regularly catch the train with a bike in the mornings from the city up to Joondalup in the morning rush and I've never had problems.
2011 Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX
Raceline Keith Oliver Signature Edition
Pravda

Postby nickobec » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Most TransPerth employees know the rules (it is in the Regulations) which is you can not have a bike on a train towards the city between 7 & 9am and on a train outbound from the city (or into Perth or Esplanade stations) between 4:30 to 6:30pm

I regularly catch the train with my bike and the only time I had trouble is in the City a couple of years ago with guard who believed I had to wait till 6:30pm to use the station, I said no, walked pass him (it was 6:25pm) and made my way to the platform to catch the 6:35pm to Mandurah. Now I walk in at 6:25pm sometimes they ask which train, I say 6:35 to Mandurah and never an issue.

If you are worried printed off the website page or relevant regulations http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/consol_reg/ptar2003447/s33a.html and hand that to the transperth employee, but as I have said never had an issue in the last few years so do not worry.
nickobec

Postby Bendito » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:26 am

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/consol_reg/ptar2003447/s33c.html
PUBLIC TRANSPORT AUTHORITY REGULATIONS 2003 - REG 33C

33C . Bikes on trains in peak times

(1) Subject to regulation 33D, a person may travel with a bicycle on a passenger train, in a counter flow direction during a peak time on a working day but, in doing so, must not get any closer to the Perth CBD than the Canning Bridge, McIver, City West or Leederville station.
Modified penalty: $100.
Penalty: $2 000.

(2) A person must not travel with a bicycle on a passenger train in a peak flow direction, during a peak time on a working day.
Modified penalty: $100.
Penalty: $2 000.

(3) A security officer, an authorised person, or a member of the Police Force may direct that a person who is about to board a passenger train carriage with a bicycle is not to board that passenger train if, by embarking, that person would breach subregulation (1) or (2).

(4) A security officer, an authorised person, or a member of the Police Force may direct that a person who is in breach of subregulation (1) or (2) is to disembark.

That said, I sometimes get trains in after 6 and ride on from there, most are happy if you say you are leaving, only had one get snotty about it.
Bendito

Postby as7431 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:59 pm

Why not go the other way? Catch the train down and ride back? Seems to solve the issue

EDIT: Just re-read the OP and this is not an option as he on;y wants to go to Cockburn, I had assumes back to Perth. Sorry!

TIm
as7431

Return to Western Australia